RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

are Rhino ramps tall enough to let me change AF ratio sensor from underneath RX300?

Old 07-18-14, 09:25 AM
BlueCrabby
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default are Rhino ramps tall enough to let me change AF ratio sensor from underneath RX300?

I need to change the AF ratio sensor(bank 1 sensor 1), which is behind the engine under the RX300.

My large jack was rusted from lack of use so I just tossed it out with the trash. I only got the jack to change the oil, but my local Toyota dealer does it for only $12 labor, so I just bring my own oil and filter and let them do it. The $10 also includes free tire rotation... much easier/cheaper to let them deal with it for $12

The same nice Toyota dealer wants $90 to change the AF sensor.(if I bring the part) I guess that's fair..

but I'm thinking about getting these Rhino Max ramps that raise the car about 6.5 inches. $50.

Is that enough clearance to allow me to slide underneath the engine and reach the AF sensor?

Thanks!

Last edited by BlueCrabby; 07-18-14 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-18-14, 09:30 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I literally just bought rhino ramps yesterday at Kmart for $35 I tested it with my GS and I can do work at the center of the car so your RX should be fine.
Old 07-18-14, 09:50 AM
salimshah

Received 991 Likes on 896 Posts

It depends how large you are.

Will you be able to crawl under and still be able to maneuver your arms and manipulate the tools?

Also remember that the clip/release is hard to separate. I had to do that disconnect from the top and with the RX on ramps it became more difficult. I had my RX on the ramp and tried from below and then from top a few times.

My suggestion would be disconnect from top. Drive up the ramp and let the thing cool down and then operate from below.

Salim
Old 07-18-14, 08:15 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

The rhino ramps are perfect for working underneath the RX. I bought some about two months ago because I didn't like going through the process of jacking the car up and getting the jack stands situated. They give me plenty of room to work underneath and plenty of room down the middle to change the oil, work underneath, etc.
Old 07-18-14, 09:15 PM
BlueCrabby
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 99rx
The rhino ramps are perfect for working underneath the RX. I bought some about two months ago because I didn't like going through the process of jacking the car up and getting the jack stands situated. They give me plenty of room to work underneath and plenty of room down the middle to change the oil, work underneath, etc.
I've often wondered about the Rhino ramps.

When you drive the front wheels up, the car is at an angle.(almost 20% maybe?)

If you open the oil drain valve, does all the oil come out? I guess it will depend on where the valve is located. If it's towards the rear of the car, it's not a problem. If the valve is nearer to the front of the cars, some dirty oil will get trapped. Or am I wrong about all this?

Thanks!
Old 07-19-14, 05:55 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Oil plug is to the back, you would likely get more out with ramps.
Old 07-19-14, 10:43 AM
BlueCrabby
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by carguy07
Oil plug is to the back, you would likely get more out with ramps.
that makes sense.... Guess it really depends on the vehicle.

I just got down under my other two vehicles to look at where the oil drain plugs are.
on the Mercedes, the plug is about one inch from the front edge of the oil pan, so
putting the car on the ramp will leave a lot of oil at the bottome.

on my Lincoln, I was surprised that the oil drain plug was on the left(driver) side
of the oil pan, so I guess it should work if I only use one ramp and drive the right
tire up the ramp.

Having said that, I've been changing my oil with an oil vacuum extractor from the
top for many years, it usually get the very last drop of oil from the bottom of the oil
pan.
Old 07-20-14, 01:40 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by titangummy
I've often wondered about the Rhino ramps.

When you drive the front wheels up, the car is at an angle.(almost 20% maybe?)

If you open the oil drain valve, does all the oil come out? I guess it will depend on where the valve is located. If it's towards the rear of the car, it's not a problem. If the valve is nearer to the front of the cars, some dirty oil will get trapped. Or am I wrong about all this?

Thanks!
If you use the ramps plus an angled driveway, you're golden.