RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Brake Light Message - RX300

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-05, 06:33 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Bulb Light Indicator - RX300

Howdy,
My 2002 RX300 intermittently has a problem with the Replace Bulb Light indicator. I'm referring to the illuminated icon on the instrument panel. The light comes on every couple drives and I'm not sure why. I've checked all the parking & brake lights, but none are dull or burned out. The light doesn't come on every time, and when it does, it only stays on for that drive. Strange little grimlin.

Anyone have any idea why this is occuring? Could it have something to do with the driver? It seems to come on when I drive my wifes car. I always use the memory switch, which moves the seat way back. Is it possible that the seat is rubbing against some brake wire or something??? I'm really reaching here

I'd like to hear some other suggestions. Thanks.

Last edited by DDLexus; 09-02-05 at 08:52 AM.
Old 09-01-05, 07:59 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The brake fluid may be low in it's reservoir..There is a float sensor in the cap. The fluid goes down on it's own as the brake pads wear. Might be telling you to check the brakes or just top up the fluid if wear is OK.
Old 09-01-05, 01:36 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are only 2 causes for the Brake System Warning Light to come on. The parking brake is on or the brake fluid is low.
Old 09-02-05, 05:48 AM
jmezo
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont know what the brake light looks like but I did have a indicator light go on when I had a brake light bulb burn out ( the third center brake light bulb). It would go on and off when the filiment contacted inside the bulb. The indicator icon that I was seeing looks like a car with backup lights on.

You may just have a bad bulb.
Old 09-02-05, 08:51 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default More information

The indicator light looks like the image below. As I stated before, I've checked all the light and none are burned out. It's my guess that this warning light has absolutely NOTHING to do with the brake fluid or pads worn. You must have interpreted my post as the BRAKE light not the tail light icon.
Attached Images  
Old 09-02-05, 09:34 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

The image you attached is about tail light bulb circuit malfunction.

The indicator will turn on the minute it senses abnormal (out of a specified good range) current flow. It fires up once the brake is applied and once the lights are turned on and resets when you switch the vehicel off.

If necessary you can turn off the "auto -light switch" setting to figure out if it is brake-tail-light or the regular tail ight. At the end you will need either a reflective surface or some one to tell you which side is out.

One more thing about this circuit. If the bulb is at the verge of going out. the warning indicator will turn on intermittantly. So if you walk behind, you may see all the bulbs lit-up but the indicator on. Just wait a few days and the bulb will eventaully fail.

Caution: If you have a bad socket, (dirty/corroded) the indicator symptoms will not go away till the socket is cleaned. Chances of bad socket are high if there has been water penetration or a non-standard bulb (which was loose) was used in past.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 09-02-05 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-02-05, 09:45 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by Tammy
The brake fluid may be low in it's reservoir..There is a float sensor in the cap. The fluid goes down on it's own as the brake pads wear. Might be telling you to check the brakes or just top up the fluid if wear is OK.
Tammy:

Unless lexus has made some changes, there are no warning light for brake BRAKE PAD WEAR. There is lug on the pad which makes noise, but when folks replace pads many forget to transfer the lug over.

Salim
Old 09-02-05, 08:34 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When the pads wear, the brake fluid drops in the master cylinder as it fills the wheel cylinders.. so, the float will trip the brake sensor... Correct, there is no direct brake pad wear indicator aside from the metal wear pointers that rub the disk. .
The following users liked this post:
Touaregman (09-13-23)
Old 09-02-05, 09:51 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by Tammy
When the pads wear, the brake fluid drops in the master cylinder as it fills the wheel cylinders.. so, the float will trip the brake sensor... Correct, there is no direct brake pad wear indicator aside from the metal wear pointers that rub the disk. .
I see your logic.

salim
The following users liked this post:
Touaregman (09-13-23)
Old 09-04-05, 07:24 PM
phillyfan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake light

I had similar problem just recently with a right tail light. Instrument light came on driving home from work. When I got home the right tail light was out. Next day light (instrument) was not on at first but was on later (with lights on). Bought a replacement bulb, went to change it but as I was pulling bulb out the bulb lit up as it was just simply loose. Bulb and instrument panel fine since. I guess you mentioned all your bulbs are fine but this was a recent experience I just had.
Old 01-28-06, 10:51 PM
mstlc
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replace Bulb Light Indicator Icon

My 2001 RX300 also has a problem with the Replace Bulb Light indicator icon on the instrument panel, but it's not intermittent. When I start the vehicle, without pressing on the brake, the indicator light is off. When I press the brake to put it into gear, the light will come on and stay on until I shut off the vehicle. All of the brake lights have been checked & rechecked. Could it be that the brake light switch located on the pedal is faulty therefore sending an incorrect signal to the indicator when the brake pedal is pushed?

Please help.
Thanks.

You were absolutely right. The 3rd brake light was not seated well enough into the socket. The bulb was still good but I replaced it anyway. Thank you for your advice.

Last edited by mstlc; 02-01-06 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-29-06, 08:45 AM
salimshah

This thread is little confusing as two different discusssions [tail light warning and brake-system warning lamp being on] are merged in one.

What you are observing is an onset of failure. You can wait till the bulb burns out or preemptively swap out the tail lamps [both or one at a time]. One reader had a loose socket.

Salim
Old 01-29-06, 09:10 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mstlc
My 2001 RX300 also has a problem with the Replace Bulb Light indicator icon on the instrument panel, but it's not intermittent. When I start the vehicle, without pressing on the brake, the indicator light is off. When I press the brake to put it into gear, the light will come on and stay on until I shut off the vehicle. All of the brake lights have been checked & rechecked. Could it be that the brake light switch located on the pedal is faulty therefore sending an incorrect signal to the indicator when the brake pedal is pushed?

Please help.
Thanks.
My bet is on one of the brake light bulbs. Most likely the third brake light on the rear hatch. Does it have the original bulb? I have heard of certain aftermarket bulbs causing this even though they appear to be working fine.
Old 01-29-06, 02:37 PM
KeysRx300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tail Light Bulb

I had this problem a few months ago. The tail light indicator was intermittant. Sometimes it would just stay on. Other times it would just flash. I checked all the bulbs. And cleaned all the sockets. Still it would falsh. It took about a month. But the bad bulb finally failed. Replaced it. No more problems.
Old 02-01-06, 02:45 PM
mstlc
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It Works!

You were absolutely right. The 3rd brake light was not seated well enough into the socket. The bulb was still good but I replaced it anyway. Thank you for your advice.

Quick Reply: Brake Light Message - RX300