RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Cracked Exhaust Manifolds?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-03, 09:08 AM
MrX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked Exhaust Manifolds?

I brought my 99 RX300 for the 60K service and check out the "Check Engine Light" and the service department called me and say that I have a cracked exhaust manifold and it will cost me $570 to replace!

Is it possible to have this crack at only 60K miles? Is this part under Lexus Warranty?

Thanks for all input!

MrX
Old 02-23-03, 12:27 PM
ederny
Pole Position

Default exhaust manifold and check engine light

Hi X,

The exhaust amnifold could crack at anytime - but highly unlikely. I would think you would hear a louder and annoying exhaust note if you had a cracked manifold. Check engine light could be any number of problems.

I would go to any good auto parts store and have them read out the code from the vehicles computer. They do this for free. Try autoZone or something like that. They readout the ODB II indo and tell you what is wrong. Sometimes they can sell you a part so this is why they do this.

I would just see if the code is similar to a manifold problem, oxygen sensor, or something related to give you an idea of what the dealer is telling you. When they read the code, the copmputer is usually reset, so the check engine light will probably come on again.

Good Luck.

PS The check Engine light has been known to come on for simple things too, like the gas cap not being on tight!
Old 02-23-03, 12:38 PM
shmelvin
Driver School Candidate

I just took mine in for a major service and they told me My exhaust pipe was cracked, I also heard nothing. They replaced it and lo and behold it has an acordion (flexi) section which was split.
Yet another example of how this vehicle was just thrown together to catch some market share.
Old 02-24-03, 07:46 AM
MrX
Rookie

I did the ODB II reading the code was 0171, lean mixtures. The "check engine" light is still on.

Could some one explain to me what "lean mixtures" means?

Thanks!

MrX
Old 03-14-03, 04:41 AM
msmetz
Driver School Candidate

Angry

Mine just went in for a state inspection, and also had a crcked exhaust manifold and a broken air fuel sensor. Cost me $830.
Old 03-14-03, 05:45 AM
ederny
Pole Position

Default Metz and Mr. X

A bit more info...

There is a known problem with the exhaust connection (acordion "flexi" section) under the engine that has been mentioned in this thread. I haven't taken a close look yet, but have heard this is known to happen and has to be changed - if you are in warrenty, you are lucky. the coupling is directly below the engine.

By the way, "lean mixture" typically indicated the air fuel ratio is wrong, that is too much air for the amount of fuel being burned. Typically this can be caused by a vacuum (air) leak in the intake system, or more complex problems with the intake, exhaust, or fuel system. Take it to a reliable shop for this kind of problem.

Last edited by ederny; 04-02-03 at 03:58 AM.
Old 04-01-03, 04:47 PM
msmetz
Driver School Candidate

Default exhaust

Check your warranty book. The exhaust manifold should be covered under the 70K powertrain warranty. The Lexus website lists it that way and so does the booklet. My dealer said that was a mistake and it wasn't covered but they would cover it anyway. (total BS). Keep after them and they should cover it. I am still going after the sensor that was replaced with my exhaust manifold. I had to fight with them for three weeks.
Old 09-30-04, 06:20 AM
AudioMan
Rookie

Just a followup, our 99 RX300 had the same problem. We knew something was wrong when the car sounded like it had a V8 at drive through windows (against a building on the drivers side). I got under the car and sure enough the flex connector from the exhaust manifold was cracked in half (had to look very closely). After my wife reved the car in my face, it was found that this was the problem.

Our car had 80,000 miles on it and is a certified pre-owned. The dealership covered the repair no questions asked and for free. Great service.

If dealerships give you crap about this, let them know you know of other issues where it was covered, as it is a known problem.

They also upgraded the pipe to the new version pictured above.
Old 09-30-04, 10:42 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Cracked Exhaust Manifolds?

Originally posted by MrX
I brought my 99 RX300 for the 60K service and check out the "Check Engine Light" and the service department called me and say that I have a cracked exhaust manifold and it will cost me $570 to replace!

Is it possible to have this crack at only 60K miles? Is this part under Lexus Warranty?

Thanks for all input!

MrX
If there were a crack in the exhaust manifold, your RX would sound like a Mustang - North American P-51 Mustang.

The Lexus powertrain warranty is 6 years / 70,000 miles. So any "check engine light" problem should be covered 100%, unless it's something silly like loose gas cap.

Last edited by HarrierAWD; 09-30-04 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-01-04, 04:08 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

I had this problem also, and just welded it shut with my mechanic.
Old 10-01-04, 02:55 PM
Jeff92se
Driver

You should do a search for P0171.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=130667

More than likely a dirty maf sensor.

Originally posted by MrX
I did the ODB II reading the code was 0171, lean mixtures. The "check engine" light is still on.

Could some one explain to me what "lean mixtures" means?

Thanks!

MrX
Old 10-10-04, 10:19 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Default fixed

what year did Lexus stop using the old part and start using the new?
Old 04-19-05, 10:00 PM
dmc888
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well my exhaust flex pipe just went out on me. 99rx300 at 71k.

Make sure you call the dealers around you for pricing.

Some Dealers charge more,i guess its their tip.

One dealer wanted 650.

Schaumburg lexus wanted 375total. About 100 for labor, not bad.

They said it was a wear and tear part. Defect to me.

The service guy knew exactly what i was talking about when i called, and even mentioned they replace them often.

It has to be changed with oem lexus parts.

I took it to meineke they said it was a special pipe which has another pipe inside it and couldn't do anything.

If it were a plain flex pipe it would of cost 100 bucks.

It was easy to find the leak with someone reving the engine.

They put the one in the pic on.
Old 04-20-05, 06:00 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My 2000 RX 300 was built in March 2000 and it has the newer design flex exhaust down pipe, as pictured above. It appears that if one is not very careful with an auto lift, the lift may press up on the muffler midway and stress or crack this point in the exhaust pipe.
Old 04-20-05, 06:32 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

Like I mentioned a few months earlier, I just welded it shut with some extra metal. Lexus thought I did a Class-A job.

Quick Reply: Cracked Exhaust Manifolds?