RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Rx 300 Gas Gauge stuck on empty

Old 07-16-14, 03:02 AM
waynerx
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rx 300 Gas Gauge stuck on empty

Hi Folks I'm new to the forum, I'm going to start from the beginning so I can provided a mental picture of the situation. Hopefully someone can help me find this part.

A New QT opened up in Monroe NC and we decided to welcome them by filling up on their premium gas. The next morning the Rx hesitated t start. We also noticed that It hesitated when we accelerated almost slowing down first. Thought it was the transmission for a while. The RX ran great for years and never acted like this, so maybe just bad gas and we'll just run it out. Add Lucas treatment and see. With no Check engine light to guide us we asked a mechanic Friend and he suggested replacing the starter. After I installed new starter the problem still remain. I then spent a dozen hrs reading every forum post and watching YouTube on similar problems. I cleaned the IACV as recommended and still the hesitation. One site suggested that I change the fuel Pump. I purchased a fuel pump, but before installing it I dropped it off at a local shop to diagnose the problem. They found nothing the first day, we suggested that they keep it over night and they'll see how it starts in the morning. The next day the mechanic told us that the fuel pump and possibly the regulator was bad. $800 plus to install. I paid them the $90 for the diagnosis and installed the Fuel pump. Still the same problem. I installed the regulator and the problem finally disappeared but a few days later the gas gauge got stuck on EMPTY. I checked the pump again and I found that the wire connector for the fuel sending unit was damaged. I don't want to replace the sending unit and the problem was just the wire. I can't seem to find a place that sell this connector alone. I found sending units but not with the wire harness. Attached is an image of the wire I'm referring to (not my actual) Any advice would help. After installing a Starter and Fuel pump (possibly unnecessarily) I'm aware that I could be wrong with the source of the problem.
Attached Thumbnails Rx 300 Gas Gauge stuck on empty-fuel-pump.jpg   Rx 300 Gas Gauge stuck on empty-fuelpump2.jpg  
Old 07-16-14, 04:18 AM
salimshah

Received 991 Likes on 896 Posts

Welcome to CL.

Are we talking about the interconnect ... Blue and black/grey?

If the problem is not with the connectors, just splice (solder and shrink tube). I prefer a simple lap joint and I use a strand of copper to wrap the lap and a thin solder.

If the connectors are broken then salvage yard is your best bet.

Salim
Old 07-16-14, 09:14 AM
ATLs460
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I had this happen over winter and just unhooked my battery for a couple minutes and started it back up and it reset itself. Worth a try.
Old 07-17-14, 12:17 AM
waynerx
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks Salim

Originally Posted by salimshah
Welcome to CL.

Are we talking about the interconnect ... Blue and black/grey?

If the problem is not with the connectors, just splice (solder and shrink tube). I prefer a simple lap joint and I use a strand of copper to wrap the lap and a thin solder.

If the connectors are broken then salvage yard is your best bet.

Salim
I'll try a local salvage yard
Old 07-17-14, 12:22 AM
waynerx
Driver School Candidate

@Eric99rx- I tried unhooking the battery and it did not reset. But I'll try it again especially when it won't cost me a nickle. Thanks