ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-1st-gen-1999-2003-182/)
-   -   Confused about remote and key programming (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-1st-gen-1999-2003/744084-confused-about-remote-and-key-programming.html)

jimsRX300 05-29-14 06:29 PM

Confused about remote and key programming

I do apologize for starting a new thread about this. There is A LOT of information about programing with a master key.

I currently only have a Gray Valet Key and a Non-Remote (no buttons) master key. I did verify that, yes, it is a master.

Can I use it to program a new Button Remote Genuine Lexus Master Key? With full remote capability? Or must I use the FLAT key, with the transponder card instead? (It also shows as a programed master key as well)

From what I read, lots and lots of info, yes I can. It won't matter which key / card I use.

Thanks!

salimshah 05-29-14 07:18 PM

Please read the sticky RX300 mega thread .. having problems.

How did you determine that the key you have are master?

Maybe hyper (resident expert on Keys among other things) can give us more insight.

Salim

gazi001 05-29-14 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by jimsRX300 (Post 8559662)
I do apologize for starting a new thread about this. There is A LOT of information about programing with a master key.

I currently only have a Gray Valet Key and a Non-Remote (no buttons) master key. I did verify that, yes, it is a master.

Can I use it to program a new Button Remote Genuine Lexus Master Key? With full remote capability? Or must I use the FLAT key, with the transponder card instead? (It also shows as a programed master key as well)

From what I read, lots and lots of info, yes I can. It won't matter which key / card I use.

Thanks!

Does your key open and locked all doors and globe box? it should be master key and you could programme keyless remote key.

hypervish 05-30-14 06:07 AM

I will give it a shot Salim, thanks!

How did you verify that the valet key is a master key?

As far as I know, a master key must be a key that has the buttons.

salimshah 05-30-14 08:15 AM

gazi and hyper are both giving visual indicators which are characteristics of the keys supplied by Lexus.

Q: Can you register a new Key without a master key?
A: No

Q: Can you program a new remote (to unlock, lock, panic etc) without a master key? Can this be done with a registered key?
A: ?

Registered key: Valet key etc

Salim

jimsRX300 05-30-14 09:29 AM

There are a few ways to verify if your key is a master.

1. Does the key open all of th edoors? Glovebox & rear hatch.

2. Insert key into ignition, do not turn. Observe security light.

If light remains steady-on for a second or 2, it's is registered as a sub-key. Cannot be used to program.

If light goes out immediately, it is registered as a master. Can be used to program.

What makes a valet key, valet, is they metal key end. It's different, it can't open the glovebox or hatch.

So, if you really wanna mess with someone. You could reregister a gray valet key as a master (programming capability) but the metal key won't open the glovebox.

My rear hatch key hole is seized, and I'll never lock my glovebox, so who cares.

salimshah 05-30-14 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by jimsRX300 (Post 8560617)
There are a few ways to verify if your key is a master.

1. Does the key open all of th edoors? Glovebox & rear hatch.

2. Insert key into ignition, do not turn. Observe security light.

If light remains steady-on for a second or 2, it's is registered as a sub-key. Cannot be used to program.

If light goes out immediately, it is registered as a master. Can be used to program.

What makes a valet key, valet, is they metal key end. It's different, it can't open the glovebox or hatch.

So, if you really wanna mess with someone. You could reregister a gray valet key as a master (programming capability) but the metal key won't open the glovebox.

My rear hatch key hole is seized, and I'll never lock my glovebox, so who cares.

jimsRX: With a master key available to you, just buy the electronic sending unit and program it. If you want to be frugal just attach it to your key ring. Other choice would be get blank key and have it cut as a master (Lexus dealer should be able to do that with VIN). Since you have a master, registering the new key would be easy.

Salim

jimsRX300 05-30-14 01:58 PM

I'll give it a shot. I have 2 masters, but without buttons. I bought a new button remote key. All the instructions I read, clearly have nothing to do with a pre-programmed button remote. Just in the end I hit the buttons on the new key.

jimsRX300 06-02-14 02:58 PM

I used my flat key to program. It worked for BOTH the ECM and REMOTE.

The doors work and it starts the car. Off to get it cut.

gazi001 06-02-14 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by jimsRX300 (Post 8565071)
I used my flat key to program. It worked for BOTH the ECM and REMOTE.

The doors work and it starts the car. Off to get it cut.

It is nice to hear that works .

jimsRX300 06-03-14 10:15 AM

The guy parts at the dealership has a list of years and models when the FLAT KEY with CHIP is a programmed master.

He told me 01 + on the RX.

Remember the security light is the ONLY way to know if the key is programmed as a master or sub-key. When you put the key in the ignition, DO NOT TURN IT. If the security light goes out immediately is a master. If the light stays on a few seconds it's a sub-key.