RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

US RX300 in Europe

Old 02-13-14, 01:57 AM
galtom
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default US RX300 in Europe

Hi,

I got RX300 (1st generation) from US.
I got few problems/questions that I hope you will be able to help me with.
Car is in mint condition, with only 80000 miles on the clock and I like it a lot.
But there are small issues because car is from US market

1. Automatic lights:

Car has DLR and switch to turn on headlight automatically. Unfortunately after the engine is switched off it takes ages for lights to turn off. Because I live in block of flts I dont'really need such long period.

How can I change this time (if it is possible)?

2. Unit system.

Because car is from US temperature is displayed in F not C and economy is measured in mpg not l/km.

I would love to be able to change US system to metric system. Can this be done? What would be the cheapest, safest and easiest way...

3. Radio unit. Againcar is from US and radio FM frequencies does not match EU system. We move up and down on scale every 100Khz so we get stations broadcasting at 93.0; 91.2; 94.4.
etc...

In US radio goes up and down 200Khz so unit can be tuned only to.. 89,9l 91,1; 91,3, etc... If station broadcasts at 91,2 it can not be set.

Can this be detuned/changed?

Other solution would be to find used radio from EU market - but I got problem locating one.
My radio does not have sat-nav built in... and all the ones I have found so far in EU do come with GPS (no buttons under the screen).

So far I found on from UK market that was exactly like my one (just big round ***** were on opposite sides of the unit) but by the time I got to my PC to buy it it was gone.

Can you help me locate such unit???

Best regards,
galtom
Old 02-13-14, 07:42 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Welcome on behalf of Club Lexus.

If I understand your question, you have auto-on/off headlight. Read the user manual (link listed in RX300 mega thread Having problems (sticky)). The stalk switch has headlight OFF, ON and Auto. In auto position the head light would turn on around dusk and will turn off after a programmed delay after removing the key./turning off. The delay is a CBEST setting. [Please search on that]. I do not use AUTO.

Incidentally you are the first person to ask for a conversion from US to European [European would have left hand drive and right hand drive units ... so be careful when picking up items from say Great Britain .. they drive on the wrong side of the road .

If you dig deep, you may find references to ecu reflashing service by some one in Russia. Your search may lead you to old posts where some members were looking for European to US conversion. I lack the details as to what exactly needs to be done.

Salim
Old 02-13-14, 08:12 AM
galtom
Driver

Thanks, I will follow on that.
Old 02-13-14, 08:18 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I would think it is likely there would be a jumper inside the radio to select U.S. or E.U. radio channel spacing. I've never seen a radio schematic offered for sale.

Consider yourself lucky that the speedometer also has km/hr calibration.
Old 02-13-14, 08:34 AM
galtom
Driver

Here is my main problem with radio.
As far as I know, there is no way to detune it.
The easiest (and cheapest) way to sort tis would be to buy second hand EU radio and in theory it is not a problem... but....
There are two types of radio. One with sat-nav ad one without. They are sold in set with display. Getting the right one, would sort out radio problem and imperial system on the display.

Problem I got is that my TX is not equipped wit sat-nav.

This means that I am looking for UK or in simply European set.
UK quit will do as well as the only difference is location of big ***** on it... AUTO, Mode, etc.

I would show you, but I can not insert picture.
Old 02-13-14, 09:50 AM
boxbrownie
Rookie

Originally Posted by salimshah
so be careful when picking up items from say Great Britain .. they drive on the wrong side of the road .
.Salim
Still "Great" though eh?
Old 02-13-14, 07:28 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Car has DLR and switch to turn on headlight automatically. Unfortunately after the engine is switched off it takes ages for lights to turn off. Because I live in block of flts I dont'really need such long period. How can I change this time (if it is possible)?

Dealer can set this to a shorter time. Alternatively, just press the lock button on the remote 2 times and the lights will turn off.

Because car is from US temperature is displayed in F not C and economy is measured in mpg not l/km. I would love to be able to change US system to metric system. Can this be done?

Sorry, this can't be changed.

Radio - car is from US and radio FM frequencies does not match EU system.
Can this be detuned/changed?

Sorry, this can't be changed either.
Old 02-13-14, 10:28 PM
galtom
Driver

Hi,

thanks for the remote tip - very useful and this solution will be sufficient for my needs.
Lexus dealers in Poland are not very good with what the do and know about cars... + they are more focused on current models in range.

Would you have any idea if there is a UK Lexus club, or an idea about the best way to search for such user radio + display in UK?

If I would switch display from UK, I should get temperature in C and economy in l/km as only distance and speed are in UK in Imperial system (I know, I have lived there ;-)) On petrol stations you pay for litres, not gallons.

The only problem is... I can not google any thing out... Like first gen RX is non existent in UK :-(
Old 02-14-14, 12:32 AM
galtom
Driver

One more question - thought...

Any ideas (or perhaps you know a dealer/repair shop you can ask.... or check in your own RX).

What would happen, if I would replace current radio and display (simple US unit, no sat-nav), with a EU set of radio + sat-nav display, but without plugging sat-nav receiver in...
Would radio itself, climate control work? I suppose I would get all the info in metric system... but I am not sure how the whole unit would react to lack of sat-nav part.

From what I understand sat-nav is mounted in the boot...
I am not sure where GPS receiver (itself is located).

If you got European set... would you be able to unplug you navi and see what happens....

I would really appreciate your help!
Old 02-14-14, 06:37 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by galtom
Would you have any idea if there is a UK Lexus club, or an idea about the best way to search for such user radio + display in UK?
http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/

I'm afraid I can't offer any specific help with the UK electronics compatibility but you may get some help from the forums on the UK site.