RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Considering an RX

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-14, 08:59 AM
rjs5689
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering an RX

Hey everyone, I wanted to make a post introducing myself and explaining a bit about what Im considering. Ive been a car enthusiast for my entire (short) life. Ive owned three very different vehicles. I started with a MKV GTI (which I went to town modifying). I moved north and sold the GTI for a Subaru Legacy GT SpecB (also very modified). After I moved back to NY, I decided it was time to switch cars for something small, light, fun and very trackable. I now own an NC Miata, which rides on custom coilovers and has some other work done as well. It makes a great daily/commuter car and is a warrior out on the track. I throw snow tires on in the winter time; coupled with the mechanical LSD Ive never really had any trouble in the snow (unless it gets really deeptheres only so much you can do with 3-4 ground clearance). Ive thought about retiring it for the winter and picking up some sort of second vehicle (SUV with 4x4/AWD).

I've been looking at WJ Grand Cherokees (which I love), Pathfinders, Xterras, Tahoes, etc. The thought to consider a first generation RX recently popped into my mind. While it isn't as "rugged" as the above mentioned SUVs, it appears that it could make a solid contender for me.

The RX would serve as a second vehicle for me. Id like to keep it under about $8,000 (and I'm shocked at how many RXs are for sale in that price range) and would plan to buy sometime mid/late summer.

What should I specifically look out for with a used first generation RX? Are there certain common problem/weak areas? Is the engine overall very reliable? How about the transmission and drivetrain in these vehicles? Im open to any and all advice, problem areas, cautions, etc. to look out for when shopping for a first generation RX.

Thanks, everyone!
Old 02-11-14, 09:16 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

First a warm welcome on behalf of CL.

I would urge you to go through FAQs stickies and at least a couple of screens of latest threads. Since '99 there have been changes made to the RX and mostly they have been refinements and some have been steps in the wrong direction [totally subjective ... I do not like the slant chop off of the tail and silver lights and aluminum interior]

If you have a bug for modding, honestly RX has very few real mods (cosmetic mods are there). RX model has the distinction of most vehicles sold by Lexus. Time and age is the reason why many are available (and still running).

Do keep in mind that the repairs are expensive and maint cost at dealership will be high. So thoroughly check out the vehicle.

Salim
Old 02-11-14, 09:20 AM
rjs5689
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
First a warm welcome on behalf of CL.

I would urge you to go through FAQs stickies and at least a couple of screens of latest threads. Since '99 there have been changes made to the RX and mostly they have been refinements and some have been steps in the wrong direction [totally subjective ... I do not like the slant chop off of the tail and silver lights and aluminum interior]

If you have a bug for modding, honestly RX has very few real mods (cosmetic mods are there). RX model has the distinction of most vehicles sold by Lexus. Time and age is the reason why many are available (and still running).

Do keep in mind that the repairs are expensive and maint cost at dealership will be high. So thoroughly check out the vehicle.

Salim
Great, thank you! I will go through those .

My second vehicle will remain stock. It just needs to be a reliable mode of transportation, especially in the winter.

My vehicles are never touched by the morons who work at stealerships. I do my own work or see my very reputable independent mechanic. I'm not too worried on that front .
Old 02-12-14, 05:50 AM
kalali
Pole Position

My wife drives the RX and she loves it. I also love it because it hardly ever breaks down. My complaint, which is matter of taste, is that I find it too soft sprung for my taste. My bigger complaint which I discovered this winter (when my wife got stuck in the driveway) is the marginal AWD system in our '03, as compared to my winter car which is an older Jeep Cherokee, on-demand 4WD. But all in all, as a complete package, they are reliable and comfortable cars.
Old 02-12-14, 06:47 AM
rjs5689
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kalali
My wife drives the RX and she loves it. I also love it because it hardly ever breaks down. My complaint, which is matter of taste, is that I find it too soft sprung for my taste. My bigger complaint which I discovered this winter (when my wife got stuck in the driveway) is the marginal AWD system in our '03, as compared to my winter car which is an older Jeep Cherokee, on-demand 4WD. But all in all, as a complete package, they are reliable and comfortable cars.
You've touched upon a major point of concern for me: FWD based AWD systems are typically sub-par. The WJ Grand Cherokee I'm considering has the Quadra-Drive 4x4 system, which uses limited slip differentials at the front and rear and has a proper low range crawl ratio. The RX is based on FWD architecture and it shows when the snow gets deep, wet and heavy!

The reliability factor is also very important to me, though. I'm going to need to find a balance between reliability and all-weather capability.
Old 02-12-14, 08:07 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts
Default The RX is capable for day to day commuting in the snow!

I've driven my RX in more than 2 feet of snow and had no problems. Although, I do have a LSD in the rear.

Here's a few youtube video's that show what the RX is capable of:

Not Snow, but some very minor off roading :

Last edited by hypervish; 02-12-14 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-12-14, 08:42 AM
rjs5689
Driver School Candidate

I think for 90% of the winter driving I'll be doing, the RX's AWD system should be fine. I'll also be running winter tires, which will provide the most important added stopping and cornering improvements.

I really like how reliable the RX seems to be. So far nobody has reported any major problem areas. The WJ GC suffered from some of the late 90s Chrysleritis, and that concerns me a bit. The VQ35 Pathfinders have issues with power valve screws backing out and getting sucked into the engine. The third generation Explorer has major issues with transmission and timing chain failures. 2001-2002 MDXs had major transmission failure problems.

No car is going to be 100% problem-free, but I'm trying to do as much research as possible so I can select something that will hopefully be reliable. The RX seems like it could be a promising buy.
Old 02-12-14, 08:55 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by rjs5689
I think for 90% of the winter driving I'll be doing, the RX's AWD system should be fine. I'll also be running winter tires, which will provide the most important added stopping and cornering improvements.

I really like how reliable the RX seems to be. So far nobody has reported any major problem areas. The WJ GC suffered from some of the late 90s Chrysleritis, and that concerns me a bit. The VQ35 Pathfinders have issues with power valve screws backing out and getting sucked into the engine. The third generation Explorer has major issues with transmission and timing chain failures. 2001-2002 MDXs had major transmission failure problems.

No car is going to be 100% problem-free, but I'm trying to do as much research as possible so I can select something that will hopefully be reliable. The RX seems like it could be a promising buy.
The winter tires will be tremendous help, after all getting going is easy. It's stopping which is critical.

The RX is quite reliable. It's been the most reliable Toyota I've ever owned, and that's saying something.

Early RX's had more transmission failures than later years. We suspect this is largely in part to lack of maintenance,driving habits and transmission programming.

We recommend 10-15k mile drain and fill's on the transmission, with that in mind we rarely see transmission failures.

I have 200k + miles on my original transmission & engine, and it's still going strong! My uncle has nearly 400k miles on his 99' RX300 AWD and is on his original transmission & engine and it's still going as strong as mine.

Make sure the oil was changed on time, early production 1MZ-FE's were prone to oil gelling if the oil wasn't changed on time. Mostly due to smaller oil return holes in the head, and because these engines run hotter than typical.
Old 02-12-14, 09:30 AM
jimbug
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rjs5689

The Grand Cherokee is a superior 4WD vehicle for sure, and pretty darn dependable too. Like the RX300 there were a lot sold and lots of parts are available. The RX is more luxurious and has softer feel and ride, the Grand Cherokee is a little less luxurious and has a firmer ride. I would give the RX the edge in reliability, but just by a small margin. Both would be good choices if they have had regular service. In my earlier years I would have definitely gone with a GC or 4Runner, but after 30 years as a wildlife officer driving 4WD over all types of terrain, I'm ready for quiet luxury that also can pull a small boat up a slick ramp and get through snowy road conditions.

My 2002 RX300 AWD did great two weeks ago when I had to return from work after a couple inches of snow in 25 degree weather.

One thing I know for sure is you'll get some great advice, support, and good DIY info on this site if you do choose a RX.
Old 02-12-14, 10:25 AM
rjs5689
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hypervish
The winter tires will be tremendous help, after all getting going is easy. It's stopping which is critical.

The RX is quite reliable. It's been the most reliable Toyota I've ever owned, and that's saying something.

Early RX's had more transmission failures than later years. We suspect this is largely in part to lack of maintenance,driving habits and transmission programming.

We recommend 10-15k mile drain and fill's on the transmission, with that in mind we rarely see transmission failures.

I have 200k + miles on my original transmission & engine, and it's still going strong! My uncle has nearly 400k miles on his 99' RX300 AWD and is on his original transmission & engine and it's still going as strong as mine.

Make sure the oil was changed on time, early production 1MZ-FE's were prone to oil gelling if the oil wasn't changed on time. Mostly due to smaller oil return holes in the head, and because these engines run hotter than typical.
I wish more people understood the importance of snow tires. I've always used them on all my vehicles. AWD/4x4 helps you go, but it doesn't help you corner or stop.

I would love to find an example with a detailed service history. Ideally I'd find someone as meticulous (read: OCD) as I am when it comes to service. I keep a folder of every service record and part receipt for each of my vehicles. This proves to a buyer that I maintained my car properly, at the required (or sometimes prior to) the recommended service intervals.

Thanks for the great advice!

Originally Posted by jimbug
The Grand Cherokee is a superior 4WD vehicle for sure, and pretty darn dependable too. Like the RX300 there were a lot sold and lots of parts are available. The RX is more luxurious and has softer feel and ride, the Grand Cherokee is a little less luxurious and has a firmer ride. I would give the RX the edge in reliability, but just by a small margin. Both would be good choices if they have had regular service. In my earlier years I would have definitely gone with a GC or 4Runner, but after 30 years as a wildlife officer driving 4WD over all types of terrain, I'm ready for quiet luxury that also can pull a small boat up a slick ramp and get through snowy road conditions.

My 2002 RX300 AWD did great two weeks ago when I had to return from work after a couple inches of snow in 25 degree weather.

One thing I know for sure is you'll get some great advice, support, and good DIY info on this site if you do choose a RX.
I'm pretty open-minded when it comes to this second vehicle. Will the ruggedness of the Jeep be a fun component to the car? Absolutely. Will the supple luxurious ride of the Lexus be welcomed? You betcha! Especially considering my current daily driver is a short-wheelbase roadster riding on performance coilovers that are stiffly sprung.

Another important factor to me if the support community. I remain active on car forums and in local clubs. It's nice to chat with and learn from other owners who share a similar passion.

The RX is creeping up from the bottom of my spreadsheet to the top... Yes, I have a spreadsheet; I like them a little too much .
Old 02-12-14, 01:25 PM
rjs5689
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jimbug
I'm kinda hoping you go with and find an RX300 as I can tell you would be a very helpful contributor here at Club Lexus. You may already know that the Lexus service history and original sticker with all options are available through Lexus by just entering the VIN. Six years ago when looking for a used RX300 for my daughter, I looked at sixteen black (the color she wanted) RX300s before finding one with an excellent service history and low miles. I also read through Lexus forums to get a feel for what issues to look for. Good luck in your search.
Thanks, I appreciate the kind words !

I, too, hope I can find an example with an impeccable service history, lowish mileage and a price within my budget.

I will certainly be cross-checking VINs with Lexus, this way I can make sure the vehicle was properly cared for.

I'm sure your daughter appreciated the hard work and time you put into helping her find a reliable, well-maintained vehicle.

Off topic: where in the great state of Tennessee are you from? I spent some time down in Nashville last summer (came down with a friend for a Little Big Town and Rascal Flatts concert) and I fell in love with the city/surroundings. The people were wonderful, the food scene was surprisingly impressive and the scenery was beautiful!

I snapped this photo in Percy Warner Park. The Miata was still at stock height at the time. It now sits about 2" lower.
Old 02-12-14, 05:08 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

CL provides an opportunity to find new friends with common interest. Just be aware any thing that is posted here is in public domain. There is private mail (PM) and chat room. Please use those for one to one or non-RX-first gen discussions.

We appreciate new members as they bring in fresh perspective to old problems.

Salim
Old 02-12-14, 06:34 PM
kalali
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hypervish
I've driven my RX in more than 2 feet of snow and had no problems. Although, I do have a LSD in the rear.
I don't want to get into a debate here but I shared my personal experience with our own RX on our own slightly sloped driveway. Same driveway and under the same exact conditions that I drove my old Jeep only an hour before. Both vehicles riding on fairly new all-season tires. This winter has been unusually heavy for us here in New Jersey and had I expected this, I would have definitely bought all-terrain type tires for the RX. The last thing I need is for the wife to lose confidence in the RX and force an early demise of a perfectly reliable and relatively capable car.