RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Rear door lock hilarity, and a new approach...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-16, 02:28 PM
ludoZici
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear door lock hilarity, and a new approach...

Howdy all!

I have a great story, which I'll keep to a minumum because, hey, it's almost dinner and wine time!

I determined to replace the door lock actuators in my '99 RX today, and, after much ado I understood the how-to after completing the left rear door. Soooo, in my hubris I dove headlong into the right side and knocked it out and about 30 minutes. Yay for me! Or so I thought.....

I reassembled the door, shut it, and hit the lock button: EUREKA! the door locks now work! Hurray for me. Then, I go to open the door I just fixed.....

And the door doesn't open!

Uh-oh, what did I miss?!

So, I played, and, continuing down the path of foolishness, I flipped the child safety lock switch on the door thinking it might be set, then shut the door.

Oopsy. Now I can't get the door open at all! But hey, the lock works.

I searched the forums and discovered, to my chagrin, that the only suggestions revolved around destroying the panel to get to the door mechanism. I'm not a big fan of destruction, though when the moment calls for it I can be enthusiast, but I REALLY didn't want to mangle the panel to undo my stupidity. And, after a Corona and some walking meditation (circling the RX, or the wagons, as it were), I decided to attempt removing the panel from inside the truck!

Yes, Virginia, it can be done!

All the screws and pins can be accessed with the exception of the two screws on the bottom of the panel, but if you look at the panel off the door, you'll note the screws aren't attached to the door itself, so they don't need to be removed anyway. Panel removed, door mechanism reset, all is now right with the world.

Wine time!

Hope this gave everyone a good laugh......

Best.

Old 07-23-16, 02:40 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus.

Are you from Texas too?

All good stories have a happy ending ... at least the ones we laugh about. Glad things worked out for you.

Salim