RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Test Driving Today/ What to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-14, 12:24 PM
tidesamo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test Driving Today/ What to look for?

Hello,

I am test driving a 2000 RX 300 w/ 100K miles this afternoon. I will probably buy it if it passes the test. Any advice as to what to look for? I know transmission and timing belt replacement are issues. The car is on a used car lot so I'm not sure how much history is available.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-22-14, 12:55 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus!

Timing belt replacement isn't an issue, it's maintenance that needs to be done every 90k miles or 7 years.

Look for the usual things that you would look at when purchasing a used car. Pay special attention to the way the transmission fluid looks, and check for service records (i.e ensure both engine oil and transmission oil were changed regularly).
Old 01-22-14, 02:13 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Get the codes read and if you get not ready, tell the seller that the ecu has been reset recently and the vehicle needs to be driven for few days.

Salim
Old 01-22-14, 02:31 PM
tidesamo
Driver School Candidate

Will the seller be able to read codes or will i have to take it to a lexus shop? What is the ECU?
Thanks.
Old 01-22-14, 03:15 PM
AKBimmer
Driver School Candidate

you can get a bluetooth reader on amazon for about $20.00 and a $6.00 app on an android phone and you have your own scanner....You could also test drive it to an autozone and have them run a scanner on it. THey will do that for free. I would also verify the check engine light comes on when you turn the key, it should then turn off once you start the car. Mine had been disabled, likely due to the knock sensor code it was throwing when I scanned it.
Old 01-22-14, 06:32 PM
Z07
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Slow figure eights in a parking lot can reveal CV joint wear via the clicking noise they make if that is an issue. Check the integrity of the boots. If you're new to turn of the century Lexus then you cannot imagine what a ballache keys are. So make sure you get a working master remote key with yours.
Old 01-22-14, 08:18 PM
tidesamo
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the feedback. I will have a buyers inspection done. One rear boot was ripped.. How hard is it to replace the rear boot? Also, it didn't have trailer hitch. When did the trailer hitch come stock? is that unique to certain models/years?
Old 01-22-14, 09:16 PM
aznlapin
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure about the trailer hitch, but for the boot, I've heard that it does take some work if you're going thru with the standard method. However, there are shortcut alternatives, such as "easy boot" by HippoRed. Never actually used them before, but you can google and check it out for yourself.

However, depending on when the boot was ripped, there could already be damage with the cv axle, so make sure to check on that.
Old 01-23-14, 07:12 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Hitch was an option.

I bought and self installed it. You have to take the model and Vin number as the prewire has changed over time.

Salim
Old 01-24-14, 08:49 AM
Lexusblack
Driver School Candidate

good luck. let us know and post some photos.
Old 01-28-14, 12:26 PM
tidesamo
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE: I had the buyers inspection done. The mechanic pulled me away from the seller and said "RUN!" Turns out the previous owner did not maintain or change fluids in the vehicle at all. The seller said the vehicle was just bought at auction and he was unaware.
I was pretty disappointed as I want to purchase a RX300 but am very glad I had the inspection done.

Now we wait for another to come on the market. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 01-28-14, 06:04 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Sorry to hear that particular RX was not taken care of. But, glad you figured that out before buying it!

Keep us updated!
Old 01-29-14, 06:28 AM
Lexusblack
Driver School Candidate

sorry to hear that.. at least you find out now.
Old 01-29-14, 07:59 AM
edupim
Rookie

just talking
our eyes and brain seeing and warning very well. The problem is our heart that do not follow them
Old 02-05-14, 04:07 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Just a note for other interested buyers - the factory hitch option was part of a "towing package" which included heavy duty alternator and transmisson cooler. If buying a car without a hitch and you want to add one, make sure it has the towing package prep. This prep package may have become standard on later RX300s but was an option on the early cars.

Quick Reply: Test Driving Today/ What to look for?