RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

DING DING sound w/ brakes on 98 RX300

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-13, 05:31 PM
rxfanatic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DING DING sound w/ brakes on 98 RX300

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the ding ding with the brakes on the RX300. It started making a "ding, ding" sound every ~3 seconds and states that the break needs to be changed. We took it to lexus and they said everything was fine - break fluid was good, all the lights were working. We took it back today to have it looked and they said it's most likely the sensor which needs to be replaced: $~275 for the part + labor. My question is - has anyone had problems with this, and was it fixed after replacing the sensor? Any place where I can find the sensor cheap for a 98 RX300?

Much thanks everyone!
Old 10-03-13, 07:42 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Apply the parking brake and then release it fully.

Salim
Old 10-03-13, 08:00 PM
droolerk9
Driver School Candidate

Default Brake sound

So a Lexus dealer said maybe its a sensor." Well, out-f**ing-standing!

If you have something like that wrong with your car, it going to be throwing off some DTC's (error codes). The deanship will have a very expensive tool that will tell them exactly what is causing the problem. Maybe is not a good answer.

Wheel sensors get dirty all the time, and it may be just as simple as getting it cleaned up. But the shop hat you took your car to does;n't seem too sharp. The wheel sensor needs to be in just the right place to work correctly, if it's out of adjustment ......

BK
Old 10-03-13, 09:24 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by droolerk9
So a Lexus dealer said maybe its a sensor." Well, out-f**ing-standing!

If you have something like that wrong with your car, it going to be throwing off some DTC's (error codes). The deanship will have a very expensive tool that will tell them exactly what is causing the problem. Maybe is not a good answer.

Wheel sensors get dirty all the time, and it may be just as simple as getting it cleaned up. But the shop hat you took your car to does;n't seem too sharp. The wheel sensor needs to be in just the right place to work correctly, if it's out of adjustment ......

BK
Easy BK, yes there are bad dealerships, but we dont know the full story. The service adviser is typically a pleasant person who interfaces with the customer. They drive the vehicle back and the tech makes a quick determination after doing the basic quick check. If the customer agrees, a full diagnosis is made at existing labor rates ...~ $120/hr. Was this done ,,, we dont know. Some times the service adviser comes back with a estimated repair charge to get customer's authorization to go pursue the diagnosis and repair.

Lets try to help OP by walking him through steps.

The warning ding gets many inputs ... door ajar etc.

ps: there is no brake wear sensor connected to any electronic warning system in RX that I know of.

Salim
Old 10-04-13, 04:05 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by rxfanatic
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the ding ding with the brakes on the RX300. It started making a "ding, ding" sound every ~3 seconds and states that the break needs to be changed. We took it to lexus and they said everything was fine - break fluid was good, all the lights were working. We took it back today to have it looked and they said it's most likely the sensor which needs to be replaced: $~275 for the part + labor. My question is - has anyone had problems with this, and was it fixed after replacing the sensor? Any place where I can find the sensor cheap for a 98 RX300?

Much thanks everyone!
Where is that part coming from? I don't know of anything on this car that tells you the brakes need changed. In fact I don't know what would cause a chime? Anyone know if the sensor in the reservoir that indicates low fluid would do this? Could be an easy fix or bypass of that sensor.
Old 10-04-13, 10:13 AM
rxfanatic
Driver School Candidate

Sorry for the late response. The RX chimes randomly whether I push the brakes or simply driving -- and the word "BRAKE" is in red at the front of dashboard. The reason why I I thought it might be the cap is because from this previous thread that I read: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...and-chime.html

this person had the same problem as well. My breaks and fluid are all good. I attached the invoice from Lexus if it helps.
Attached Thumbnails DING DING sound w/ brakes on 98 RX300-lexus.jpg  
Old 10-04-13, 11:25 AM
rxfanatic
Driver School Candidate

I pulled the trigger and ordered the part. Is it easy to install this cap thing? Note I don't have any type of equipment at my house.
Old 10-04-13, 01:15 PM
salimshah

So that would be the float based sensor in the master cylinder of brake.

You can test yours by moving the ring up or down.

If the master cylinder fluid is dark, use turkey baster to suck some out and fill with a fresh brake fluid.
Do not try to suck beyond 1/4 level [this will ensure you do not introduce air in your hydraulics]

Salim
Old 10-04-13, 07:46 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Hi, rxfanatic!
You'll see somewhere in this forum that I had the same problem years ago. New brake reservoir cap for about $100 solved the problem completely. Plug in an electrical connection and snap the cap into place. No tools, no muss, no fuss. I hope it solves your problem as it did for me. Someone on here gave me the hint, fortunately.
Old 10-05-13, 07:50 AM
rxfanatic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by trhs75
Hi, rxfanatic!
You'll see somewhere in this forum that I had the same problem years ago. New brake reservoir cap for about $100 solved the problem completely. Plug in an electrical connection and snap the cap into place. No tools, no muss, no fuss. I hope it solves your problem as it did for me. Someone on here gave me the hint, fortunately.
I should be receiving the part next week. Now, I don't really know anything about cars. Is this something I can do by myself?
Old 10-05-13, 10:55 AM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Very easily!

The rubber-lip cap easily pops off; be careful not to splash any on the paint--maybe cover it with a paper towel when you remove it. As I recall, there is one snap-together electrical connection to undo first.
Old 10-10-13, 01:50 PM
rxfanatic
Driver School Candidate

I received the rx300 brake cap today ... but I have no idea how to install or where to find it. Can someone please give me step by step directions or a picture that shows where the brake cap is? Thanks!
Old 10-10-13, 01:59 PM
salimshah

cap is the cover of the master-cylinder ... the one you remove to add brake fluid.

Salim
Old 10-13-13, 06:19 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Drivers side, toward rear of engine compartment, directly behind air cleaner, covers the clear reservoir Salim mentions. There's a cap on top of the reservoir that looks just like the one you bought.