RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Detailed engine, how-to

Old 09-11-13, 04:34 PM
defo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Detailed engine, how-to

So, someone asked how to detail up your engine bay, after seeing this pic

This is how I detail engine compartments:

Things you'll need:

(A) Your garden hose, with a spray nozzle, or you can do this at a self service carwash place, with a coin-operated power sprayer.
(B) An old tooth brush
(C) A towel
(D) 1 can of engine degreaser, I use Gunk (2 if you have a lot of build-up, oily and dirty spot, and such).
(E) 1 can of tire shine foam, any brand will work, just may sure you get the FOAMING type
(F) Eye protection if you will be cleaning the underside of the engine

Procedure:

With the hood open, you want to start using the degreaser, the can will probably say to get the engine temperature up to normal operating temps....but I have done this on a cold engine with the same results however, if you intend to clean the underside of the engine, you run the risk of burning yourself on hot exhaust parts.

You may want to remove the engine's decorative plastic cover.

Spray the degreaser everywhere, and concentrate on areas where you see dark oily deposits, especially around the oil fill location......really soak those bad spots.

If you happen to get the cleaner on the outside body panels, wipe it off with the towel....I don't think it will damage paint, but I like to play it safe.

Use the cleaner liberally, (use 1/3 to 1/2 of the can) this stuff really penetrates the grease and oil, and will make the cleaning easier.....let it soak-in per the directions on the can.

Next use the toothbrush on the noticeably bad areas, the grease and oil should break free from the engine and parts easily.

Once you get the bad areas with the toothbrush.....get out the water hose and start spraying off everything, with full pressure.

After hosing for a minute or so....check and see if there are remaining areas of grease, oil, or grime....is so, repeat the degreaser and toothbrush steps again.

Once you area happy with the level of cleanliness, you can move along to the under side.

Rolling under the SUV (I use a creeper), with your eye protection ....you will probably see some build-up on the lower block areas....it's likely some of what you washed-off from above will be on various parts below.

You can treat these areas just like you did above....spray, wait, brush, hose-off.

Once you are happy with the cleaning.....give everything a good hose-down, both top and bottom.

New you need to let the water dry....if you are home, go grab a beer, and take a 30 minute break.....if you are at a car wash...drive home, this will dry everything up quickly.
(NOTE...the first time you drive after degreasing, you will see some very light smoke, and a funky burning smell....there is a remaining residue/film, from the cleaner, that will "burning off".....this is normal)

Once the engine is CLEAN, and DRY, (and if you drove home, COOLED OFF), you can get ready for the shine!

With the tire foam, you want to put a nice white foam coating on everything under the hood that is black.......hoses, tubing, wiring, intake box, caps.....everything.

Dont worry if you over-spray foam onto metal parts, they will be fine, but you don't need to spray them intentionally.

Once everything is spray-foamed....wait for the foam to dissolve.....it will just start to disappear.
When it is all gone (no more white), you will notice some minor pooling/ponding on the larger parts like the air filter box........you will need to take the towel and lightly wipe off some of the larger black plastic items.

PLEASE NOTE: the tire foam that will inevitably get on the metal areas like the exhaust manifold, will also burn-off the next time you drive.

You are done!.....(except you will most likely need to wash the vehicle due to hose-off session earlier)

Last edited by defo; 09-11-13 at 04:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RickK53 (09-12-19)