RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

1999 RX300 misfire / coil issues on ALL CYLINDERS

Old 04-06-16, 05:08 PM
PeglegGold
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Symtom

Originally Posted by JAB
Alternator and/or battery may be dying.
Its been doing this for a year, and just gets worse.
Old 04-06-16, 05:41 PM
PeglegGold
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by carguy07
Post the codes you are getting. Are you replacing with OE/Denso parts or aftermarket?
All OEM parts, codes first were O2 sensors than engine coils. Now all engine coils.
Old 04-07-16, 01:52 PM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Possibilities are endless ..
timing belt, crank position sensor, ignitor, ground (specially the one hidden between the intake and firewall).

Salim
Old 04-08-16, 09:26 AM
cotis
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How did you "check the oil control valve"? Mine had these same symptoms even though the valves seemed OK when I checked them. Replaced them anyway (along with the OCV filters) and problem solved.
Old 04-08-16, 11:01 AM
PeglegGold
Driver School Candidate

Default Maybe?

Originally Posted by cotis
How did you "check the oil control valve"? Mine had these same symptoms even though the valves seemed OK when I checked them. Replaced them anyway (along with the OCV filters) and problem solved.
I will try these fixes, I will let you know if it works and thanks!
Old 04-08-16, 06:38 PM
PeglegGold
Driver School Candidate

Default Parts?

Originally Posted by PeglegGold
I will try these fixes, I will let you know if it works and thanks!
Did you use OEM parts or Parts store parts?
Old 04-08-16, 07:49 PM
PeglegGold
Driver School Candidate

Default Parts

Originally Posted by cotis

Did you use OEM parts? Or Parts store parts?
Old 04-11-16, 12:09 PM
cotis
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PeglegGold
Did you use OEM parts? Or Parts store parts?
I used OEM parts that I got from my local Toyota dealership. They are closer to me and the cost was less than the Lexus dealership for the same thing.
Old 07-21-17, 10:22 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

so this never got resolved? i have a customer with the "all coils are misfiring" issue and the timing is all over the place. im assuming the t-belt is most likely the issue. pegleg...why highjack this thread?
Old 02-18-19, 09:33 AM
Goldie0824
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by M45owner
Thanks for the replies....we dropped it off at the dealer AGAIN Monday morning. They said they would call us later that day or "tomorrow" (Tuesday) with what is wrong. Well, they called today saying they were STILL working on trying to figure out the problem. 3 days and the Lexus dealership doesn't even know what is going on!?

The transmission went out roughly 350 miles after we got the car...had it replaced AT LEXUS. Did the timing belt and water pump job at the same time. No other issues until 2 weeks ago when we got a misfire on 2 cylinders...I believe it was 1 and 3. Moved the "bad" coils to the front of the motor and changed all spark plugs with NGK Iridium plugs. I never use the Bosch or any other garbage in my cars.

Now cylinders 2 and 4 were showing the bad coils, which is where I put them. Put in new coils and it didn't throw any codes and drove like a top until Tuesday (we finished the work on a Saturday)...so 3 days it drove fine. Tuesday we started experiencing the misfire again except it was on EVERY cylinder EXCEPT cylinder 1. Drove like absolute ****.

Took it to a local shop, they didn't know...took it to Lexus, they didn't know. Told me "it has to get worse so we can find out the issue". Well, it never got better and it still misfired even more afterwards. So we just dropped it off again this past Monday morning.

Codes are P1305, P1310, P1315, P1320, P1325....all "igniter circuit malfunction" for cylinders 2-6. No other codes present.
Did you ever find out the issue? I'm going thru the exact same thing! I'm at my wit's end.
Old 02-18-19, 05:29 PM
rapaulino
Driver School Candidate

Default Cylinders Misfire on RX-300

Thanks for all of the post regarding this issue. My RX-300 2002 started showing this problem on cylinders 1, 3, and 5! I never sow it on the other cylinders. It looks like no even the dealer can determine what is causing this. I am an electrical engineer by trade and the only thing that might be causing this problem could be the spark plug cables. It is possible that with time, the integrity of the cable insulation mitght be breaking down and it is causing some of the high voltage on these cable to be leaking. I will go ahead in my case and replace the spark plug cable before changing any of the coils that do not seem to be correcting the problem. I replaced all of the spark plugs and that did not fix the problem.
Old 02-18-19, 06:56 PM
Audiqv8
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by rapaulino
Thanks for all of the post regarding this issue. My RX-300 2002 started showing this problem on cylinders 1, 3, and 5! I never sow it on the other cylinders. It looks like no even the dealer can determine what is causing this. I am an electrical engineer by trade and the only thing that might be causing this problem could be the spark plug cables. It is possible that with time, the integrity of the cable insulation mitght be breaking down and it is causing some of the high voltage on these cable to be leaking. I will go ahead in my case and replace the spark plug cable before changing any of the coils that do not seem to be correcting the problem. I replaced all of the spark plugs and that did not fix the problem.
Your car doe not have "spark plug cable", instead it uses coil over plug, which means that the coil is directly on top of the plug. Since this is occurring on cylinders 1,3 and 5 the cylinder bank 1 aka the pain in the *** to replace spark plugs. I would start off by removing the plugs and inspecting them and maybe even replacing them since they are a PITA (pain in the ***) to replace.
Old 08-26-19, 07:32 PM
poorerobin
Driver School Candidate

I know this is a belated comment, but with our 2000LexusRX300 we replaced all ignition coils, first one, then another, then several at a time. Problem solved. Next, we were advised to replace the spark plugs. Did so with OEM. Haven't had a problem since. Costly, but the fix seems to have held. That was several years ago now...

I have another question: We have a CEL and have been told to replace the knock sensor harness. Meanwhile, when accelerating from a dead stop the car is intermittently unresponsive. Pushing the accelerator and it's almost as though it was in Park, not Drive. Are these related? (no diminishment of power when accelerating on the highway or at speed, low or high) Really unsure what's causing the latter symptom... thanks for any insights
Old 08-26-19, 07:54 PM
Audiqv8
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by poorerobin
I know this is a belated comment, but with our 2000LexusRX300 we replaced all ignition coils, first one, then another, then several at a time. Problem solved. Next, we were advised to replace the spark plugs. Did so with OEM. Haven't had a problem since. Costly, but the fix seems to have held. That was several years ago now...

I have another question: We have a CEL and have been told to replace the knock sensor harness. Meanwhile, when accelerating from a dead stop the car is intermittently unresponsive. Pushing the accelerator and it's almost as though it was in Park, not Drive. Are these related? (no diminishment of power when accelerating on the highway or at speed, low or high) Really unsure what's causing the latter symptom... thanks for any insights
Yelp the ECU will back off the timing once it determine that the engine is knocking which explain why there is no power. Try using a high octane and see if the problem goes away. BTW is the engine knocking when you're trying to accelerate?
Old 04-19-22, 04:38 PM
GaillyG
Driver School Candidate

I had the same problem with my car, I brought it into my mechanic and he told me that it needed new spark plugs, gave it a tuneup and it's now running smoothly again! I'm not car literate, just telling you what my mechanic told me. But have your mechanic check the spark plugs!