RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Diagnosis help: door actuator or electrical?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-13, 05:04 PM
01rxwhite
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Diagnosis help: door actuator or electrical?

I need some assistance in diagnosing an issue with my driver's side front window and lock issues.
I've searched the sticky files regarding this issue. Here's what's happening.... Driver's window will not go up or down. Driver's door will not lock when pushing lock button, or when using the remote key to lock. All other doors lock and all other windows will go down/up when using the driver's door window controls.
About a year ago, the front windows were having issues going up or down properly when using the driver's side controls. I pulled off the window/lock control panel and cleaned the contacts and they worked ok ever since. This time before the window stopped working, if I stopped the window halfway down, then pulled the window switch up, the window would go the opposite direction and go down all the way. Then, I would pull 'up' again and it would proceed to go up. The lock just suddenly quit. So I am just locking and unlocking it manually.
Question: Is this the electrical contacts being dirty again or does this sound like the driver's door actuator?
Old 07-07-13, 12:23 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

1st thing I would do is discinnect the batterey for about 5 minutes. (that does a reset kinda like rebooting your computer) If that doesn't do anything then run the window up (whatever you have to do to make it run up) and HOLD the switch at the top of the window travel for about 4 seconds. That does a reset on the window controls. (don't laugh, it actually does because there is a chip involved with the window operation) If that doesn't do anything,
I would also check for any fuses, breakers or relays in the system. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to clean the control contacts again anyway. The other thing I would check is ground. Bad grounds often can often lock you up in the funny farm, though that probably isn't a problem since the other locks and windows operate from the drivers control. The possibility exists that the actuator is bad because it also has contact strips in the case that interact with the sunroof (if you have one) as well as other components in the window and lock system. It's a pretty sophisticated system that operates through one of the computers.
Old 07-09-13, 03:25 PM
01rxwhite
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, code58 for the input. I cleaned the dusty build up on the door panel switches, but there was no change. I thought about the fuse check, but not the CPU reboot. Will do those two and post if they work. I appreciate the suggestions.