RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Aftermarket stereos for 99RX300?

Old 05-21-18, 05:01 AM
Dukenukemx
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by KWilson
Hey all!
New here, but been lurking for a long time. I've been struggling for a while like others to find a solid solution for replacing the RX300 radio and recently came upon a company who makes Tesla style head unit with mounting systems. They control the radio, bluetooth, AC/Heat controls etc.
While they do not have a model for our RX300s yet. They said if the demand was high enough they'll start making the units. So here's how you can help. Below is their info. Email them and let them know that you'd like a unit for your car. If they get enough people, they'll start making them.
I've attached an example of what their units look like. I believe they run around $700.

Phoenix Android Radios
445 S Figueroa St, Ste 3100
Los Angeles, CA 90071
United States
Email: contactus@phoenixandroidradios.com
Toll-free: +187PHOENIX0 ( +18774636490 )
Office: +13239179038
Fax: +13239160483
Text: +13234761324
Whatsapp: +16264174092
Facebook Messenger: @PhoenixAndroidRadios
I would think a lot of RX300 owners would like something like this, I know I would. But for $700? Yea, we'd need to come down in price. I'm honestly surprised nobody has done something like this for these RX300's. I've put a stereo in my Lexus ES330, and my 07 IS250, and while they were pains in my asses they were at least doable. This, is just god damn awful.

People have clearly put Single Din stereos in these cars, and one person I know has put in a double din, though they relocated the original stereo in the center console. But for now I'd be OK with a single din stereo install, if I had a kit like the Beats Sonic, which is apparently $500. Which is also far too much money for just a kit.

Amazon Amazon

Old 05-21-18, 08:13 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

If this forum is any indicative of the demand to change the audio system ....

The desire to change is very very low.

I can present you the reasons for why it is low, [please take them at their face value and not as any basis of discussion/debate]

1. Sound system is fairly good and noise/interference free.
2. The cabin acoustics of the SUV with open cargo is not well suited for [true/realistic sound]
3. Very very few Lexus owners who purchase a new vehicle ever think about changing the audio system. Over the years Lexus started offering Mark Levinson system for the enthusiasts.
4. Nothing integrates well.
5. As the vehicles entered the resale market, the new owners focused on the utility and use instead of customizing them.
6. Knowing all this very few after-market audio manufacturers really tried to address the small segment of the market, knowing fully well that they will not be able to reap much out of the venture.
7. Now the model is too old, and spending $1000 [include the cost of your time] on a vehicle worth $2500 [on paper] does not make economical sense/
Note on item 7 ... I am sure people who are truly interested in making the change will not agree as the change may be we'll worth making for them.

Salim
Old 05-21-18, 09:00 AM
renphilia
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Example of mine

Android Lolipop fitted to my RX300. Center console moved behind shifter (looks like a Merc) hahaha

I strongly believe if one has passion, it can be done. Although it seems like not worth the money spent, but hey it is all great once you can achieve it.

Features:
-Google Play Store
-Waze
-Google Maps
-VLC
-WhatsApp
-ScreenMirroring

Android version 5.1
unit used: Joying (forgot the exact model)
Old 05-21-18, 08:46 PM
Dukenukemx
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by renphilia

Android Lolipop fitted to my RX300. Center console moved behind shifter (looks like a Merc) hahaha

I strongly believe if one has passion, it can be done. Although it seems like not worth the money spent, but hey it is all great once you can achieve it.

Features:
-Google Play Store
-Waze
-Google Maps
-VLC
-WhatsApp
-ScreenMirroring

Android version 5.1
unit used: Joying (forgot the exact model)
Could you explain how you wired the audio? I don't plan to spend much money. $150 for an Android stereo and $50 for the physical adapter, though I don't know what I need to connect audio to the system. I plan to make a video about it, like I did with my 07 IS250 to teach people how to do it.
Old 05-22-18, 07:25 AM
renphilia
Driver School Candidate

Smile Audio wiring

Originally Posted by Dukenukemx
Could you explain how you wired the audio? I don't plan to spend much money. $150 for an Android stereo and $50 for the physical adapter, though I don't know what I need to connect audio to the system. I plan to make a video about it, like I did with my 07 IS250 to teach people how to do it.
Just get an Android stereo, and few bucks for the installation fee by mechanic. So far what you'd have to do is:
1. Remove the stock stereo system (which has the control ***** for A/C and volume). Probably have to remove more stuff in order to access the stock stereo system
2. Inside it you will find the stock panel system. I only relocated it to the glove box compartment, replacing the disc changer position. I am not sure what's the stock panel system is called, but if you just leave it unhooked, the center display won't work
3. Once everything is opened, you can see the wiring harness. You may refer to your preferred professional mechanic.
4. I relocate the 12v power outlet to below, exactly in front of the lower storage box. Did some drilling
5. It would be hard if your RX has the seat heater function. You need to figure out where you want to relocate them.

Basically, there are 3 things you have to think of relocation: the stock panel system, the center display screen (which shows your temperature, and your stock stereo), and the 12v power outlet

If you would like to do DIY for this, be prepared to spend at least 2 days, which includes the tidy-up. Good luck
Old 05-22-18, 04:41 PM
Dukenukemx
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by renphilia
Just get an Android stereo, and few bucks for the installation fee by mechanic. So far what you'd have to do is:
1. Remove the stock stereo system (which has the control ***** for A/C and volume). Probably have to remove more stuff in order to access the stock stereo system
2. Inside it you will find the stock panel system. I only relocated it to the glove box compartment, replacing the disc changer position. I am not sure what's the stock panel system is called, but if you just leave it unhooked, the center display won't work
3. Once everything is opened, you can see the wiring harness. You may refer to your preferred professional mechanic.
4. I relocate the 12v power outlet to below, exactly in front of the lower storage box. Did some drilling
5. It would be hard if your RX has the seat heater function. You need to figure out where you want to relocate them.

Basically, there are 3 things you have to think of relocation: the stock panel system, the center display screen (which shows your temperature, and your stock stereo), and the 12v power outlet

If you would like to do DIY for this, be prepared to spend at least 2 days, which includes the tidy-up. Good luck
I just said I put a stereo in both my IS250 and ES330. Why would I want a mechanic? I'm am literally removing the valve cover gaskets cause they leak. The RX300 won't be going anywhere anytime soon cause I need to sell my fathers Jeep first cause there's literally no room in the driveway now. So the RX300 will sit until the Jeep is gone.

Anyway, I'll have no problem physically installing the stereo along with the cigarette lighter relocation. What I want is the ability to retain the factory stereo while also having the 1din aftermarket radio working together. Like I've seen people use the CD changer to gain another audio source to the car. Couldn't I use that for the stereo? People must have soldered wires to the factory radio to do this. Sure I lose the 6 CD changer... but **** CDs.

Like here on Ebay there's a Aux in adapter that claims to take the spot of the CD changer for AuX in. Is this what people have done?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-iPh...MAAOSw1gdaxc-M

Maybe I can use this Y-cable to even retain the CD changer if I wish?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Stereo-Wiring-Harness-Adapter-Y-Cable-Fit-for-5-7-Pin-1pc-Brand-New/112942553017?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Old 05-23-18, 05:12 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

I have done a lot more elaborate change for SC and can only give you some pointers as there are mounting and control issues when it comes to RX.

Assuming you can figure out how to place the new {single din) and the existing head unit with environment controls [A significant challenge] ... you can take sound processing queues from my SC set up.
1. I built a pc-board with op-amps to take 1vrms (standard line out- Aux_in) to generate dual signals +2.6vrms. [Stereo l, r --> l+,l-, r+,r-]
2. I built a bank of relays to switch 4inputs, 4inputs --> 4 outputs ... Relays were activated by a switch I added.
3. The switch then selected Aux-in (processed) and CD.
4. Output of the module goes to the head-unit

Other than my opamp part, I picked up lot of discussion in the SC forum.

Another member found out that in SC- the tape unit has test points that you can feed 1vrms audio. I am converting to that input.

The thing to watch out is the serial communication that Lexus audio system has. If the tape [or the CD] transport system is not working, it will turn the radio ON. So we have to fake it by loading CD into the CD unit while hijacking the audio feed. [or load a tape].

IN summary the electrical (audio feed) can be configured with some difficulty, but the physical mounting will be hard. Adding a 1 din, or double din unit and integrating it is a daunting task. Personally I would suggest that add a Aux-in and feed it directly or look for neat things like Parrot or others that let you connect via blue-tooth.

Salim
Old 04-07-23, 06:21 PM
MadJuggalo
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default found stereo that works in the RX300

I have a 2001 RX 300 and I picked up a Seicane stereo. Its nice so far. Made the old stock speakers sound tons better. Took a bit of time to figure out what gets plugged in where but the kit worked well.

Old 04-07-23, 07:07 PM
KWilson
9th Gear

where did you order from? Looks great.

Originally Posted by MadJuggalo
I have a 2001 RX 300 and I picked up a Seicane stereo. Its nice so far. Made the old stock speakers sound tons better. Took a bit of time to figure out what gets plugged in where but the kit worked well.
Old 04-08-23, 06:42 AM
MadJuggalo
3rd Gear

I ordered it direct from manufacturer at https://www.seicane.com/index.php/9-...waAmxmEALw_wcB
Old 04-09-23, 05:20 AM
KWilson
9th Gear

Since the main OEM unit holds the AC / heater controls, and gas mileage, do you notice an difference or issues when trying to access those features?
I’d love to see a video of this in use.

Originally Posted by MadJuggalo
I ordered it direct from manufacturer at https://www.seicane.com/index.php/9-...waAmxmEALw_wcB
Old 04-10-23, 06:54 AM
Dukenukemx
Pit Crew

Forgot about this thread. I have since put a stereo with backup cam into my dads RX300. It's this unit that I installed. Kinda annoying since you gotta transplant the climate and stereo controls over. The tape deck door is left on, even though it goes to no where.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...d=O5tWAAfD9Mfm

Looking Aliexpress they have even better choices, like this one.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...d=RfxDgbyatNZJ
Old 04-21-23, 08:05 PM
MadJuggalo
3rd Gear

Default Video of radio in use

Originally Posted by KWilson
Since the main OEM unit holds the AC / heater controls, and gas mileage, do you notice an difference or issues when trying to access those features?
I’d love to see a video of this in use.
I tried to upload it on here but it was too big so i loaded on youtube
The following users liked this post:
Dukenukemx (04-24-23)
Old 05-09-23, 03:50 AM
Australian
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I will finally install my android 10'' as have now the right wiring. There is more than one kind of wiring for mcu10 whether it is a harrier or a rx300. Mine was built in 1997 so the kits i bought didn't work but have now a wiring harness now i am sure will work. I have a few dvd players to attach as have another deck and a supply from other player in headrests. Just to get power to all parts of car for extensive wiring has been a task on its own. I have had everything stolen several times over now so reluctant now to show off my mods.