RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Brake light problem

Old 02-06-13, 10:30 AM
Barbwire54
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX300 tail lights will not go out

Sorry for the hijack and hoping that someone can help me. New to forums and still trying to figure out how to use them.

My problem is that my tail lights will not go out!!! I have checked the fuses and replaced the brake pedal sensor since I thought it was the brake lights stuck in the on position. Turns out that the brake lights seem to be working fine when I am using them but the tail lights will not go off which drains down the battery. It sometimes appears they are off but then they will come on. For instances I thought I had found the fuse controlling them and pulled it. They were off and I was relieved but a while later they were back on. Now I have to disconnect the battery when I park to prevent draining it.
Any assistance would be appreciated
Thanks
Old 02-06-13, 11:29 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

I moved your post ,,, all you needed was to start a new thread ,,, [after doing a search]

Lexus has different filament for brake and tail light. That you already found out.

IS your light set for auto? Try turning it to OFF and see if the tail light behaves differently.

When you see the tail light on (after shutting down the RX) do 2 rapid (in succession lock button press on your remote key) and see if the tail light shuts off.

Do you have trailer connection? Who installed it? Is it possible for you to disconnect it?

Any idea what started this odd behavior?

Salim
Old 02-25-13, 08:59 AM
Barbwire54
Driver School Candidate

Default RX300 Tail Lights will not go out

Thanks for starting the thread for me. I promise to get the hang of it soon.
Re: my first post
The tail lights started doing this randomly as far as I know. I have changed the brake pedal switch without result. The tail lights will not turn out intermittently meaning that sometimes they are off when I check after removing the key from the ignition and sometimes they are on. They also will appear to be off and then come on later so you are never safe to assume they are going to stay off.

The trailer hitch was on this vehicle when I purchased it and my reading in these forum threads seem to suggest that this was a standard on this model year?

I have purchased new bulbs for all the rear lights but then read that the bulbs often lead to more problems so I have not installed them yet.

One clue that was not obvious to me before is that there is an intermittent clicking sound in the steering column or nearby dash area while driving. May happen and may not happen at any given time. It leads me to believe that there may be an issue with the light control arm on the column.

Any thoughs?

Thanks for your ssistance to date and looking forward to hearing from anyone who may have knowledga, ideas for investigation and suggestions.
Old 02-25-13, 09:00 AM
Barbwire54
Driver School Candidate

Sorry "assistance"
Old 02-25-13, 09:27 AM
salimshah

After moving the thread, there was no activity and we all assumed things are under control.

There is a brake switch, physically connected to the brake pedal and engages based on travel.

My instinct tells me that switch is sticky and that makes the clicking sound. You have to get in the foot-well and try disconnecting it. Do not drive around as you will be driving without the brake tail lights.

Disconnect it and if the brake lights stay off, then you have isolated the problem. Jiggling the switch can also reproduce your problem.

You can simply replace the switch and see if the problem clears out.

Salim
Old 03-04-13, 04:42 AM
Barbwire54
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
After moving the thread, there was no activity and we all assumed things are under control.

There is a brake switch, physically connected to the brake pedal and engages based on travel.

My instinct tells me that switch is sticky and that makes the clicking sound. You have to get in the foot-well and try disconnecting it. Do not drive around as you will be driving without the brake tail lights.

Disconnect it and if the brake lights stay off, then you have isolated the problem. Jiggling the switch can also reproduce your problem.

You can simply replace the switch and see if the problem clears out.

Salim
Thanks for hanging in there with me. Yes it took me a minute to figure out how to get back to the post.

Brake pedal switch has been replaced and brake lights work fine whether tail lights are on or not. The brake lights have been ruled out as the issue based on this.
However, the tail lights continue to remain on or to return to the on state independent of control switch status.
The clicking is high up in the left of the steering wheel as you sit in the seat. It is not down where the brake pedal switch is located.
Additional info not to lead anyone down a false trail but just to add the missed symptom to the earlier post.
Thanks again to you and whoever else has any ideas or info that may help.
Old 03-04-13, 07:59 AM
salimshah

I would suggest get hold of a circuit diagram and trace.

There may be more than 1 switch (I could be wrong) on the brake pedal.

Does your cruise control work? It should disengage with signal from the brake switch.[I am still on the brake switch]

Salim
Old 03-20-13, 08:59 AM
Barbwire54
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your response. I have made an observation that may help. We were in a dry spell for a while here and I noticed that the issue went away. As soon as it rained again, it started up. The tail of the car is the only portion that is not under shelter. I took a look at the towing light connector and noticed it was not firmly closed. However, that did not correct it. I will follow up on the diagram tracing you suggested, but if the rain sparks any new ideas, please let me know.
Thanks again
Old 03-20-13, 09:01 AM
Barbwire54
Driver School Candidate

Oh, also the cruise control does work. And I have had another person stand in the rear of the vehicle to observe while I apply the brakes. They come on regardless of whether the tail lights are on or not.
Thanks
Old 03-20-13, 11:36 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by Barbwire54
Thanks for your response. I have made an observation that may help. We were in a dry spell for a while here and I noticed that the issue went away. As soon as it rained again, it started up. The tail of the car is the only portion that is not under shelter. I took a look at the towing light connector and noticed it was not firmly closed. However, that did not correct it. I will follow up on the diagram tracing you suggested, but if the rain sparks any new ideas, please let me know.
Thanks again
Other than cover not on properly, please check the connector form the front and the back ans see if there is oxidation build up.

Salim
Old 03-21-13, 07:51 AM
insuralife
Driver School Candidate

Default Brake light problem

Brake light trouble: I have power at the switch and through it, but nothing at the tail lights.. Where does the grren/white wire go from the switch???
Help!
Old 03-21-13, 07:53 AM
insuralife
Driver School Candidate

Let me ask another question on this subject: I have problems with brake lights.. Switch OK, where does the power go before the taillights? No power at the brake lights... Help!
Old 03-21-13, 09:14 AM
Baetke
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Here's a schematic of your circuit. I don't know where the box labeled "Light Failure Sensor" is.
Attached Thumbnails Brake light problem-capture.jpg  
Old 03-21-13, 09:47 AM
insuralife
Driver School Candidate

You are a...... HOME RUN!!! Thank you!
Now, I have found that simple cap, but the sensor isn't where people seem to say it is on a '99.. I'll send a picture when I find it!
Old 03-21-13, 05:18 PM
insuralife
Driver School Candidate

Default Brake Light problems

Brake light problems:
Power is on, switch works, maybe it's a lamp Failure sensor that is bad? So where is this little bugger?
I have the rear trim panel down on the driver's side, by the spare tire well, but no little box or plug in. There is a plug in, but it's just a jumper, with no circuit inside. Strickly bars that jump from one side to the other.
Any help?
I did get sent a wiring diagram, which is super!
Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake light problem