RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

AWD Rear Diff Vent/Breather Filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-12, 10:43 AM
CharBaby
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWD Rear Diff Vent/Breather Filter

This is in addition to my recent post for using a heavier wgt gear oil in the rear diff of my '01 RX-300 AWD as I have a leak at the driverside shaft seal.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...gear-lube.html

My questions "NOW" pertains to the Rear Differential Vent/Breather that is atop the diff cover or housing, I have drained and refilled the differential on several occasions so, I know the general area but, vent/breather is OE so, it may be difficult to remove if I can even access it in the first place

a) has anyone changed their vent/breather?
b) if so, will I be able to access the vent without dropping the whole rear differential?
c) is it a screw in type of vent/breather?
d) can I just unscrew it and remove it for cleaning or replacing?
e) if I can unscrew the vent, what size wrench will I need and how much room will I need to get my hands in there? My hands are not small!

I have looked at the schematic(on SEWELL Lexus site) of the rear diff and I can see where the vent/breather is located. It does sorta' look as though I can access the vent(I think)! But, it doesn't mention whether it's a screw and the pictures isn't quite clear.

Any information, tips/tricks and even pictures(if available) wil be GREAT.
I think that I just want to remove it, clean it and reinstall it. It maybe plugged but, I'm not sure!

Thanks very much,
CB
Old 12-31-12, 10:53 AM
Baetke
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

CharBaby,
Here is a picture I took of the vent valve when I did my rear differential changeout. The little vertical cylinder feels like a plastic cap that would lift up to vent excess oil and set back down to keep dirt/moisture etc... from going back in. I haven't tried to replace it, not sure why you want to, so I don't know what tools it would take but I hope this picture helps you to locate it.
Baetke
Attached Thumbnails AWD Rear Diff Vent/Breather Filter-p1010330.jpg  
Old 12-31-12, 11:15 AM
CharBaby
Rookie

Thank you very much for the great picture/very clear. It looks like the Pass side of the Diff, am I correct?

The reason I want to remove the Breather is to rule out this issue that I am having. It's leaking on the driver side shaft seal and it was brought to my attention by my brother-in-law, that the breather/vent may be restricted(possibly) and the fluid is leaking past weakest point.

Sure, the seal will probably need to be replaced as this too, seems to be an RX weak point in the R Diff.
But, the seal didn't start leaking til this past summer when I did another D&F on all my fluids(Mobil 1)

The Vent/Breather may be blocked with CRUD and not allowing sufficient venting. I have seen a new vent/breather on ROCK AUTO and it's a clear picture of the piece. which can infact can get quite loaded with dirt/debris, mud/salt over time!

I justy want to rule out this before replacing the shaft seal(quite a job!)
Old 12-31-12, 11:19 AM
Baetke
Pole Position

Yes, passenger side. When you grab the plastic part it will move very easily, at least mine did. If yours seems stuck, that may very well be the problem. Maybe you can wiggle it loose and clean it with a small brush?
Old 12-31-12, 11:31 AM
CharBaby
Rookie

Yes, I'd like to remove it and clean it with a spray cleaner and brush as you mentioned.
Do you know if it's a screw in vent or does it pull out/push in?

I mean, if it cleans too easily and nothing(dirt/debris) comes out, I'll know that this probably isn't the issue!

Thanks again,
CB
Old 12-31-12, 11:35 AM
Baetke
Pole Position

Actually, I meant to reach up and clean it in place, if you can get the cap to move' just to save the trouble of taking it out. I don't know what it takes to get it out. You will probably need an inspection mirror or a small camera to reach up in there to see how it's installed. Let us know what you figure out.
Old 12-31-12, 12:17 PM
CharBaby
Rookie

Baetke,
Yeah, I would love to clean it in place instead of removing the vent/breather.
I will certainly respond back with any information that I have in this issue.
Thank you for all of your info to me!

CB
Old 12-31-12, 12:21 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

This thread should lead you in the right direction.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...rear-diff.html
Old 01-01-13, 05:32 AM
CharBaby
Rookie

Originally Posted by hypervish
This thread should lead you in the right direction.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...rear-diff.html
Thank you my friend.
It does look as though I can access the vent/breather from the pic's that I've seen,
Again, I just want to rule out this as a cause to my leak.

Happy New Year!