RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

DIY-Grom USB Adapter + Bluetooth Dongle Installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-13, 03:36 PM
djeddieo
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
...Yes, the bluetooth auto-connect's as soon as you turn on the radio. Within' 15 seconds (apprx.) of turning on the radio you will hear a beep, confirming the phone is connected. Once you initially pair the phone, you don't need to every do it again. Unless, of course you delete the profile or get a new phone...I assume by you mean if a phone call comes in will the music stop playing and allow you to answer the phone call? If that is what you are asking then, yes it will fade out the music and allow you to answer the call. The best part is you can accept the phone call just by pressing the "Track Up" button. Or decline it by pressing "Track Down"...Unfortunately, it does not display the phone number as our radios do not support RDS.
Man; other than the lack of RDS, that's every bit as awesome as the OEM Bluetooth I installed in my last Benz (current Benz already had it, thank goodness)

You can either charge by USB, or buy the optional 30 pin connector.
I guess I'll figure this out when I buy/install it but how do you connect an iPhone/iPod by USB, without a 30 pin connector?
Old 06-18-13, 05:18 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by djeddieo
Man; other than the lack of RDS, that's every bit as awesome as the OEM Bluetooth I installed in my last Benz (current Benz already had it, thank goodness)

I guess I'll figure this out when I buy/install it but how do you connect an iPhone/iPod by USB, without a 30 pin connector?
I meant that you can either buy their optional (expensive) 30 pin cable that plugs into the GROM Unit directly using their proprietary cable which allows the iphone/ipod to charge and be controlled by the radio.

If you use the female USB included, then you need to plug in your male 30 pin cable for your iphone/ipod into that but it will only charge. No audio playback.
Old 06-19-13, 04:42 AM
djeddieo
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...buy their optional (expensive) 30 pin cable that plugs into the GROM Unit directly using their proprietary cable which allows the iphone/ipod to charge and be controlled by the radio....
I like this idea, especially if I make the cable so short that the phone has to stay in the glovebox! Safe from texting!!
Old 06-19-13, 06:12 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by djeddieo
I like this idea, especially if I make the cable so short that the phone has to stay in the glovebox! Safe from texting!!
I never thought of that, yes it would be a great way to stop texting!
Old 04-16-14, 05:55 PM
Jamooche
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To the original poster: Thank you very much for your detailed review of the Grom Audio adapter. Your post was actually the way I was able to find and buy this product. I was easily able to do the install in 15 minutes. I've upgraded our 1999 Lexus to a modern car! Thanks again!
Old 04-16-14, 06:19 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Smile

Originally Posted by Jamooche
To the original poster: Thank you very much for your detailed review of the Grom Audio adapter. Your post was actually the way I was able to find and buy this product. I was easily able to do the install in 15 minutes. I've upgraded our 1999 Lexus to a modern car! Thanks again!
You're very welcome!
Old 08-13-14, 09:29 AM
orion603
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks hypervish for your awesome DIY. I just installed a Grom-BT on my RX300 and it works nicely. One thing I noticed while installing the unit was that there was a plenty of space to place the grom unit behind the glove compartment so, I went ahead and zip tied it in there with a L shape metal frame.
Old 08-13-14, 10:56 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by orion603
Thanks hypervish for your awesome DIY. I just installed a Grom-BT on my RX300 and it works nicely. One thing I noticed while installing the unit was that there was a plenty of space to place the grom unit behind the glove compartment so, I went ahead and zip tied it in there with a L shape metal frame.
You're welcome!

I've since mounted my GROM Unit on the bottom of the center console near the gear shifter.
Old 11-06-14, 04:49 AM
bltkmt
Driver School Candidate

Is this the Grom unit that most are putting into RX300's: http://www.gromaudio.com/store/usb_a...interface.html ?

I just bought a 2003 RX300 for my son and want to have some way to hook up an iPhone 6 for music and charging. Will this unit work? Pretty sure mine is not the Nakamichi stereo, but how do I verify?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-07-14, 04:58 AM
bltkmt
Driver School Candidate

Actually, this one looks interesting too: http://www.gromaudio.com/store/bt3_a...e_adapter.html

Any suggestions here? My son is already bugging me for tunes in his car.
Old 11-07-14, 05:44 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

The unit that I bought is this one here : http://www.gromaudio.com/store/aux_a...e_capable.html

However, when i got it they were still offering the bluetooth kit with that so I got that as well. It seems they don't offer the bluetooth on this one anymore, probably because they are trying to push out newer units such as the other's you linked to above.

Either should work, just be sure to tell them what car you will be installing it in when it asks you during checkout. The GROM units have a special firmware for the RX300, so with that information they'll know to install it.
Old 11-07-14, 10:49 AM
bltkmt
Driver School Candidate

Thanks - I just ordered the Bluetooth unit. Excited!
Old 12-26-14, 08:01 AM
bltkmt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bltkmt
Thanks - I just ordered the Bluetooth unit. Excited!
BTW, this thing is great. Pairs fairly easily and decent sound for streaming music and calls. Good value.
Old 12-31-14, 05:26 PM
maorsela
Rookie

Is this what you guys ordered?

TOYB3

BTW, GROM have a $20 discount until 1/5 for the BT adapter: use code 'HAPPY14'.

All I need is BT support, also ordered the USB/AUX-In cable.

My 2002 doesn't have navigation, and has the Pioneer radio (non-Nakamichi).
Old 01-02-15, 10:13 AM
bltkmt
Driver School Candidate

Yes, that is the unit I got for my 2003. Works like a charm.

Quick Reply: DIY-Grom USB Adapter + Bluetooth Dongle Installation