RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

DIY-Grom USB Adapter + Bluetooth Dongle Installation

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-16, 11:38 AM
doc144431
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grom help

Well Hello all i am new to forums and currently a new 7 month second owner of a Lexus rx300 2000 w/o nav. have found many of the DIY's very helpful on here and. have special interest in this one. I have bought the (GROM Adapter (TOYA3), “TOYF” Harness Cable, 3.5mm input cable w/ USB female, (optional – Bluetooth Dongle ($50) from amazon. and followed your instructions and the step that i can not get to is after plugging it in to cd changer harness cable and turning on car i am not getting the cd screen to show up only am, fm, and tape?? please any help if possible. thanks
Old 04-17-16, 11:47 AM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

First, confirm that you do not have the Nakamichi sound system in your RX.
Old 04-17-16, 11:54 AM
doc144431
Driver School Candidate

how else can i check this?
Old 04-17-16, 12:49 PM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

It would say so on the face of the stereo.
Old 04-17-16, 03:26 PM
doc144431
Driver School Candidate

#update
so it is not the Nakamichi. thank you for that. i found out that it needed to be update to firmware. this link was very helpful and it know works very well. thank you for the help. JAB

http://gromaudio.com/software-ipd3.html
Old 07-12-16, 05:20 PM
LA4Mead
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default CD Changer

Has anyone found a kit that offers a plug-through harness to retain the CD changer and switch between them?

99 RX 300 Pioneer, with factory CD Changer
Old 12-26-19, 08:32 AM
Spimley
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

waking up an old thread, I asked for this unit for xmas, it fits all my criteria for christmas presents, reasonably affordable, and something I likely wouldn't buy for myself I primarily delayed purchasing this because i'm generally cheap and I wasn't sure if I was going to keep this car forever, been casually shopping for a rx350 upgrade for some time now but haven't made the jump so I decided what the hell. Even if i upgrade vehicles in the near future I think having this unit installed will help my old car sell, not necessarily for more money but it should sell faster when the time comes since having usb/bluetooth is something that I'm sure holds people back from buying a car at times.

I can be the diy type when its nuts and bolts but since i'm not super comfortable doing audio and working behind the liner so I scheduled an appointment for early next week at the audio shop that did the touchscreen /bluetooth upgrade on my 98 es and he did a great job, I think a pro should be able to bang out this install for me by the time I finish lunch at the restaurant next door.

Looking forward to handsfree calling for sure, added bonus of having access to my music library via usb, so basically it resolves both of my primary complaints about driving a 20 year old lexus.
Old 01-18-20, 11:59 AM
Spimley
Rookie

Originally Posted by Spimley
waking up an old thread, I asked for this unit for xmas, it fits all my criteria for christmas presents, reasonably affordable, and something I likely wouldn't buy for myself I primarily delayed purchasing this because i'm generally cheap and I wasn't sure if I was going to keep this car forever, been casually shopping for a rx350 upgrade for some time now but haven't made the jump so I decided what the hell. Even if i upgrade vehicles in the near future I think having this unit installed will help my old car sell, not necessarily for more money but it should sell faster when the time comes since having usb/bluetooth is something that I'm sure holds people back from buying a car at times.

I can be the diy type when its nuts and bolts but since i'm not super comfortable doing audio and working behind the liner so I scheduled an appointment for early next week at the audio shop that did the touchscreen /bluetooth upgrade on my 98 es and he did a great job, I think a pro should be able to bang out this install for me by the time I finish lunch at the restaurant next door.

Looking forward to handsfree calling for sure, added bonus of having access to my music library via usb, so basically it resolves both of my primary complaints about driving a 20 year old lexus.
finally did the install today, went smooth, I've finally entered the 21st century with bluetooth!

only complaint is the 6 folder limit, im used to 100+ folders in the wifes car, oh well . I can live with it, very pleased.

Last edited by Spimley; 01-18-20 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-18-20, 05:01 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Awesome, glad to hear you're enjoying it! Definitely nice to have bluetooth in this old beast.
The following users liked this post:
Spimley (01-20-20)
Old 01-20-20, 06:39 AM
Spimley
Rookie

Yes, its wonderful and will come in handy every day.

As I mentioned the biggest surprise was the inability to handle more than 6 folders which had me baffled at first because I just grabbed the flash drive full of music from my home theater system and plugged it in, nothing.... grabbed the drive out of my wifes car, nothing...

THEN I read the user manual and figured out how the interface actually worked as it relates to the previous CD drive and it made sense.

Basically after that I made 6 folders with different genre's of my choosing and dumped a bunch of individual songs into each folder and it worked perfectly, and now I understand that all I have to do is know which folder # is for each genre and its off to the races. I guess if I want more variety or control I could just prepare a 2nd flash drive (dirt cheap these days) that have different artists cd's in each, which is something I do already with my 6 pack changers, I have 3 different ones and would rotate them out on a whim, so I might get started on that this week, i'm sure I have a couple of smaller 2 GB drives in the junk drawer that don't get used anymore because of size.

The primary purpose was access to hands free calling, but the usb port is something that I really have been spoiled with when driving the wife's car or in a rental for long trips, so nice to just plug in and boom, all that audio is at my fingertips.

Also installed the app (DashlinQ) and will do some quick research on interfacing with other apps as well, haven't gotten that far yet, this may come in handy once I get that part figured out, its all greek to me at this stage because i've never really used an app in the car, but I do use tunein at home with the bluetooth in the garage so I can podcast while tinkering around, once I get more comfortable with the whole process I can then take advantage of whats available.

I'd be curious what experience others may have had with using apps, either dashlinq or others and how happy or not they have been with that but at this early stage i'm not even sure which questions I may have, most of my driving is short commutes under 20 minutes so most of the time it will just be switching from the radio to the grom and back, but for longer trips I'd like to be able to listen to other stuff that's out there.

I also need to figure out this whole bluetooth thing, I had a weird experience yesterday at the convenience store, I was on the phone while grabbing a couple of things and the grom "picked" up 3 different times while on the phone as I walked near the front door of the store (confusing for sure!) and I had to stop it to continue the conversation, not sure exactly how to solve that issue but since it was my 2nd day with the unit I figured there's a bit of a learning curve.

Last edited by Spimley; 01-20-20 at 06:42 AM.