RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

DIY-Grom USB Adapter + Bluetooth Dongle Installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-12, 04:09 PM
saudiboy
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to do this, but I can't bring myself to kill my CD changer. I don't understand wiring, but it seems like there should be a toggle switch available that lets you alternate between the two.
Old 12-12-12, 04:16 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by saudiboy
I would like to do this, but I can't bring myself to kill my CD changer. I don't understand wiring, but it seems like there should be a toggle switch available that lets you alternate between the two.
That's the main reason that I held off on getting it. But the pro's of the GROM unit outweigh not having a cd changer. So, I decided to just live without a cd changer and get the GROM.

I love being able to switch tracks using the buttons on the radio, that's one of the main reasons I got this. I already had a bluetooth system hooked up via my iSimple IS77 and a bluetooth receiver, but I still couldn't change tracks using the radio of course.
Old 12-12-12, 05:25 PM
JoshTittle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
Yes, they make a kit for that car as well. My ES300 has the same radio as your ES330, and I actually made a DIY on that install as well so that should help you out if you plan to install it yourself. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...intensive.html

Link to purchase: http://www.gromaudio.com/store/aux_a...e_adapter.html

I have an iSimple IS77 installed in my RX300 as well, which I used prior to this GROM unit. And, the GROM is way better in terms of audio quality.

You're welcome!

Thanks so much. Very helpful.
Old 12-12-12, 05:28 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JoshTittle
Thanks so much. Very helpful.
You're welcome!
Old 12-12-12, 05:35 PM
Bobster999
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Ive had mine about a 1.5 months and just love it. I only have the USB which is all I need right now. The things I dont like is that It takes about 5-6 seconds of holding down the button to go to the next song. And I cant replay or go backwards which I find annoying. Maybe im not doing something right?
Old 12-12-12, 05:47 PM
JoshTittle
Driver School Candidate

when you use the bluetooth can you control the song still on the iPhone 5?
Old 12-12-12, 05:51 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bobster999
Ive had mine about a 1.5 months and just love it. I only have the USB which is all I need right now. The things I dont like is that It takes about 5-6 seconds of holding down the button to go to the next song. And I cant replay or go backwards which I find annoying. Maybe im not doing something right?
I only have bluetooth, as the USB cable doesn't support the iphone 5 yet. But, when I press the button to skip to the next song, it does it immediately.

I haven't tried going backwards in a song, as I rarely ever use that feature. But I will give it a shot tomorrow, and let you know how well it works.

Originally Posted by JoshTittle
when you use the bluetooth can you control the song still on the iPhone 5?
Yes, while in bluetooth you can control either via the controls on the radio or using the iphone itself.

When you have the USB cable connected, there are two modes. One let's you control the iphone, and the other mode doesn't let you do anything on the iphone everything must be done via the head-unit.
Old 12-13-12, 06:48 AM
JoshTittle
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hypervish
I only have bluetooth, as the USB cable doesn't support the iphone 5 yet. But, when I press the button to skip to the next song, it does it immediately.

I haven't tried going backwards in a song, as I rarely ever use that feature. But I will give it a shot tomorrow, and let you know how well it works.

Yes, while in bluetooth you can control either via the controls on the radio or using the iphone itself.

When you have the USB cable connected, there are two modes. One let's you control the iphone, and the other mode doesn't let you do anything on the iphone everything must be done via the head-unit.
GREAT! I think i may give this a shot. About how long did it take for the install?
Old 12-15-12, 06:41 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bobster999
I tested it out yesterday during my 11 hour drive, and it works perfectly. When skipping ahead in a song there is a bit lag, which I will say is equal to the amount of lag you get when skipping ahead on a CD. I can also go backwards and replay.

It should work though, I would suggest contacting GROM support.
Old 12-15-12, 05:48 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice write up Hyper.
Old 12-16-12, 04:53 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gazi001
Nice write up Hyper.
Thanks! I hope it's helpful to others.
Old 12-16-12, 03:42 PM
Leines
Pole Position

Does this work on all rx300 or only ones with the pioneer system? I have the nakamichi stereo, and the one I seen didn't support the premium audio... Very cool write up, I'm in if I can get it in my rx
Old 12-16-12, 03:49 PM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I believe I looked into this some time ago and concluded that if you have the Nakamichi (like me) you're out of luck.
Old 12-16-12, 03:51 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Correct, unfortunately Nakamichi is unsupported. This will only work with the pioneer "Lexus Premium System".
Old 12-16-12, 06:03 PM
richee3
Driver School Candidate

Nice writeup! I had the GROM iPod interface in my old IS 300 and loved it. Well worth not having the 6 disc changer. I've been keeping an eye on eBay for the USB adapter for the RX but I've only seen it listed once. It's the 3.5 mm headphone jack on eBay. I'll probably pick one up directly from their website after Christmas.

Quick Reply: DIY-Grom USB Adapter + Bluetooth Dongle Installation