RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

2000 RX300 has no shifting on gear shift on automatic shift lever

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-19, 08:53 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Please add a link in the DIY thread pointing it back here.

Salim
Old 06-29-19, 09:55 AM
simplecar
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the bushing slipped out and cracked for me. i just used one zip tie to keep the mechanism in place. you don't really have to spend money and order a new bushing.
Old 07-02-19, 10:22 AM
1a2b
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are repair bushings also available for this shift cable inside cable end repair at bushingfix dot com.
Old 07-02-19, 10:43 AM
1a2b
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My vehicle 2001 RX300 had ever more pronounced shifting problems until it no longer shifted at all even while gear selector was from one gear to another and to R. I searched youtube and found this "1999 Lexus RX300 shift control cable replacement - Repair (Interior)." I had never seen this mentioned as a potential problem! This guy is proceeding to replace the shifting cable to fix his shifting issue (no shifting at all, like mine now), and found that the problem was indeed with the cable. The cable end had come off of the stud where it was attached to inside the gear selector "dome." The cable has a round hard plastic end that fits over the said stud and it had become brittle or whatever and broken inside which allowed it to slip away from the stud. Thus it would no longer pull the cable at all and hence not move gears inside the gear box, or not do its thing inside the transfer case, whichever may be the case. He then proceeded to fix this without changing the cable and the outer shell of the said plastic end was still intact. He fixed it by putting a 1/4" rubber crommet over the stud after the plastic end was installed back over the stud. The OD of the crommet slipped inside the recess in the plastic end. Then he placed two 5/16" circlips next to that to keep it sliding out, and finally he put also 5/16" axle nut - the kind that is pressed over the stud/shaft/axle end and grips onto the stud and helps to keep all together. The cost of these small hardware items from Home Depot is less than $5. I think I may have the same problem and my shifting gradually became worse and worse over relatively short time span. Perhaps the plastic end first broke inside partially which meant that it would no longer pull the cable all the way where it needed to be pulled to do its thing and then finally broke completely loose. I plan to check mine tomorrow. I could not put the youtube URL here as this site does not allow it at least not for me as I have not been active for a long time.
Old 10-09-19, 07:14 AM
Brcobrem
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi,

I realize this is an old thread, but please allow me to add some new info from a PM I have with a forum member, as follows :
"I bought that refrig filter <that comes with the white nylon fitting> in 2006, via online. I found the order#, emailed them, and the filter is a Water Sentinel WSI-2 Replacement For GE GXRTQR."
Here's a link:
https://www.filtersfast.com/GE-GXRTQ...XITQ-GXRTQ.asp

The nylon piece is the part that screws into the bottom (top?) and snaps into the mating quick disconnect on the copper tube (only going by memory here)".

That said, as someone else mentioned, it would be a lot less expensive to make the part or improvise otherwise from hardware store inventory. Or, perhaps the filter manufacturer would sell you just that part?
Regards . . .

Last edited by Brcobrem; 10-09-19 at 07:30 AM.
Old 10-09-19, 02:11 PM
Brcobrem
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi Forum (& Lexus if you're listening),

I see posts about bushingfix.com making a fix for this. Just a heads-up: I haven't seen their fix, but you might want to keep one of the metal c-clips in your glove box. If their bushing is entirely plastic, with no hard and secure metal way to insure that the cable won't come off the shifter's post, then you might have a the failure again. The real problem is that when Toyota/Lexus designed that shifter/post/cable connection, the cable support bracket was not designed correctly to allow the cable end to be on the shifter post naturally, even when the busing falls out. If it was aligned properly, the cable end would not pop off of the shifter and hang two inches out in space when the OEM bushing failed. The cable end would at the very least stay on the shifter shaft. You'd feel the slop and could get that looked into later (after you were able to get home alive).

This is a CRITICAL safety component/assembly. I personally like to be able to back out of the way of oncoming cement trucks whenever I want to. If this assembly was designed properly, when the OEM bushing failed, the cable end would be naturally in line with the post on the shifter. That way the cable end would at least remain on the shaft and remain functional (if only a little bit sloppy because of no tight fit on the shifter shaft). With safety components like this, a sloppy fit is better than no fit and no function. I guess not enough people were killed yet to warrant a recall.

Regards . . .