RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

VVT Solenoid (OCV) Replacement DIY

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-15, 11:18 AM
vwgto
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oyerbl
Thanks for this thread!
My symptoms;
About a month or two of studdering from a slow take off, occurred more often as time went. Never happened at highway speeds.
Then yesterday happened at highway speeds, followed by and immediate check engine light. This was the first time I had been HAPPY to see a CEL!
I had my wife log in my elm327 (http://www.amazon.com/Version-Blueto...ywords=Elm+327)
And use dash commander to check the code while we were driving it pulled the p15xx (already forgot the number) and I knew where to start.
By the time we got to our destination (30 miles) it had thrown multiple misfires bank 2 and miss on 2.,4,6. And could hardly stay running.
After 10 minutes of searching, I found this thread and ordered both OCV from oriely's. 917-211 and 917-214. If you ask for an OCV by model, you're likely to get sent to the dealer. Ask by part number!
Cleaned both screens and replaced both valves. Cleared the codes and everything has been great!

WARNING.... The longest part of this job comes when you drop one of the bolts for holding in the OCV... Use a strong magnet bit OR just spare yourself the headache and buy a couple bolts if you have the time.

Thanks again.
Lost nuts/bolts can be frustrating and dangerous. My worst, that I will never forget, was a nut that went down the carburetor of a GTO, In this case, I wrapped electrical tape around the head of the nut and socket to ensure they did not go astray. Once the thread caught, it was easy to pull away,
Old 03-31-15, 12:26 PM
LESUS
Driver School Candidate

Default How about an update Bear!

Originally Posted by BearsLexus
Glad my DIY was able to help all of you. I'm going to be getting rid of my RX because it's become nothing more than a constant source of stress and trouble, and a never ending money pit.
Glad I was able to help some of you out!

Bear
I was wondering how the dorman parts were holding up. been about two years now with no update on how they were doing in this thread.
Old 04-06-15, 06:21 AM
BearsLexus
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Lesus, I'm having no issues. It's my belief that they will hold out for as long as needed. I'll be getting rid of my RX300 sometime over the next year so should I have any issues before then, I'll be sure to let everyone know!

Bear
Old 04-06-15, 10:17 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Just a word of caution...

Just be careful about making general assumption based on a small sample set.

{educated people have learned that about other humans (not all but most), but we fail to keep this in minds when we purchase equipment}

Salim
Old 04-14-15, 03:22 PM
LESUS
Driver School Candidate

Default Still having problems with P1354

I put in a new GENUINE OCV in the one closest to the radiator and it took longer to pop up but it did!
That nasty code returned. before I put in the new valve it was 3.5 miles...........it took with the new one, 7.3 but there it was. Any ideas guys?
Old 04-21-15, 08:37 PM
dsigala
Driver School Candidate

Default Es300 p1349

I recently changed my cylinder #4 ignition coil because of misfiring issue-- 3 weeks went by and today the check engine light came on and the car was idling a little rough when it was stopped(on a red light, etc.), seems to be fine with its being driven. Took it to Advance Auto to get the code read: P1349. I've read many forum pages pointing to VVT malfunction but I am a bit confused on the matter. I am college student so I if I can, I plan to repair this myself before heading to a shop to take a look at it. P1349 points to an issue in Bank 1: is there a diagram/schematic citing where bank 1 is and what exactly do I have to replace/clean(solenoid/filter). If i can get someone to help me out, I would really appreciate it. Looking for diagram/schematic for location of bank 1/solenoid/filter for a 2000 ES300.

Thank you.
Old 04-22-15, 09:37 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by dsigala
I recently changed my cylinder #4 ignition coil because of misfiring issue-- 3 weeks went by and today the check engine light came on and the car was idling a little rough when it was stopped(on a red light, etc.), seems to be fine with its being driven. Took it to Advance Auto to get the code read: P1349. I've read many forum pages pointing to VVT malfunction but I am a bit confused on the matter. I am college student so I if I can, I plan to repair this myself before heading to a shop to take a look at it. P1349 points to an issue in Bank 1: is there a diagram/schematic citing where bank 1 is and what exactly do I have to replace/clean(solenoid/filter). If i can get someone to help me out, I would really appreciate it. Looking for diagram/schematic for location of bank 1/solenoid/filter for a 2000 ES300.

Thank you.
This was put in the wrong section. You need to repost this in the correct section for the es300 as you may not get much of a response in this section as its for the first gen rx300.
Old 06-29-15, 04:09 AM
VLN
Driver School Candidate

Question

Originally Posted by wfc
I thought pictures were awesome so I decided to change out my front OCV myself. Got right to it, removed electrical connection then gave it a twist to loosen it then tried to pop or pull it out. No Go so I messed with it for almost 30 minutes then finally the whole top half of the unit broke off leaving everything below the machined aluminum boss on the head. Any ideas on how to proceed?

Thanks!
I have the same problem problem one has broke off now easy task a big problem, any suggestions, were You successful at getting yours replaced?
Old 06-29-15, 04:54 PM
LESUS
Driver School Candidate

Default Update

Originally Posted by LESUS
I put in a new GENUINE OCV in the one closest to the radiator and it took longer to pop up but it did!
That nasty code returned. before I put in the new valve it was 3.5 miles...........it took with the new one, 7.3 but there it was. Any ideas guys?
Ok, so I have an update for you all.

I made a long drive to San Fran from Reno where I live and discovered something. As I stated before I put a new OCV in and made the long drive.......I start the car and drive and Wow! the code doesnt return. I call my wife and tell her the good news from a rest stop. Get back in and drive about a mile and BOOM there it is. Pull over and remove the pos cable and go again even longer this time with no CEL. Stop for food and restart and Boom! 2miles there it is. Seeing a pattern here I wend 146 miles and nothing. Shut off and restart and BOOM.......you guessed it.

Anybody see this before?
Old 06-29-15, 06:12 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by VLN
I have the same problem problem one has broke off now easy task a big problem, any suggestions, were You successful at getting yours replaced?
I have read about successful attempts by threading a long wood screw and using either a pliers or a claw pry bar to pull the remaining part of the ocv out. Good luck!
Old 12-07-15, 11:05 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Finaly after 150K mileages got the the code P1354 for OCV sensor bank 2 at the front of the engine. Car was not shifting good and rumbling. I checked the sensor that oil was exposed. Here is the new parts number for those sensors made in Japan. I got two for $ 82.00 dollar from ebay. Here are some pictures for who need info's. New sensors installed no problem.
Attached Thumbnails VVT Solenoid (OCV) Replacement DIY-new-ocv.jpg   VVT Solenoid (OCV) Replacement DIY-new-ocv-filters.jpg   VVT Solenoid (OCV) Replacement DIY-exposed-ocv.jpg   VVT Solenoid (OCV) Replacement DIY-old.jpg   VVT Solenoid (OCV) Replacement DIY-p1354.jpg  

Old 01-16-16, 02:00 PM
MarkiAlex
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Famous P1354 Code Free Fix - Video OCV - Oil Control Valve

This is what I did to fix my P1354 Code... hope this helps some fellow members

Video link below:

The following users liked this post:
Puttster (07-03-17)
Old 01-16-16, 02:50 PM
MarkiAlex
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2 weeks and runs smooth as ever..
Old 01-19-16, 09:08 PM
OceanView
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks to BearsLexus & everyone else that contributed to this tread.

I had similar symptoms with error codes 1349 & 1130.
I replaced both solenoids and it fixed the issue.
The one thing that I also noticed is that the clicking noise that I was getting has been reduced considerably.
I think my previous solenoid was defective and caused excessive noises.
In any case, I am really happy this thread existed and helped me fix this issue myself for cost of parts.
Old 03-09-16, 09:09 AM
djeddieo
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I'm not sure which was scarier: the other day the first time the CEL came on and the brakes barely worked, or today when I drove it 55 miles with the CEL still on! Not sure if it proves me brave or just stupid but every little hiccup - and there were 4 or 5 - made my hair a little grayer.

I've mentioned before I have two houses 55 miles apart; the Lexus normally lives at the summer house and functions as the beach wagon. Then I decided to also make it my winter car and put my daily-driver in its place back in January. I've ordered both VVT Solenoids from an eBay seller for $53.97 rather than pay $78.73 for next-day shipped to Walmart. My ratchet set is here at the summer house so better to do the job here.

FWIW, the car did not go into limp mode. I averaged 68 MPH and about 18 MPG. Also, I wonder if the P1349 code I'm getting might be related to a recent oil issue I had: oil light flickered - didn't come back on - and I checked and I was down 3+ quarts! Once I added oil my MPG seemed to go way up for a day or two, then the CEL/P1349 code and the gray hair....

Quick Reply: VVT Solenoid (OCV) Replacement DIY