RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Air Mix servo questions - not found in search

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-12, 08:17 AM
evbrad2002
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Mix servo questions - not found in search

I have a bad air mix servo on my 2000 RX300. No noise, no movement...dead. Two questions that I found previously raised but not definitively answered in my search of this forum:

1) Has anyone found a source for a replacement 12v motor rather than replacing the entire servo?

2) Is the air mix servo in the Highlander (or any other Lexus/Toyota for that matter) interchangeable with that used in the RX300?

and a third question:

3) Do the various servos in the RX300 a/c system use the same 12v motor?

Last edited by evbrad2002; 10-26-12 at 08:22 AM. Reason: additional quesion
Old 10-26-12, 12:38 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

The search should have found the post by me with on servo-motor. It has the best possible match, but the min quantity was 1000 units from china. That is a huge risk which I shied away from.

The other issue with the motor is that one has to de-assemble and reassemble with care [arms and the contacts must preserve synchronization.

My search was limited to Mode-servo.

The failure happens with use, so buying a 'used' item has little appeal.

It is a common part among Lexus lines (IS, GS etc)

Salim
Old 10-26-12, 01:15 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agreed with Salim.
Old 10-27-12, 11:31 AM
evbrad2002
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
The search should have found the post by me with on servo-motor. It has the best possible match, but the min quantity was 1000 units from china. That is a huge risk which I shied away from.

The other issue with the motor is that one has to de-assemble and reassemble with care [arms and the contacts must preserve synchronization.

Salim
Yes, Sailm, I did see a couple of your posts re: the motors you found. You actually responded to a PM I sent you recently (I'm sure you get tons of this stuff; thanks for your reply BTW) and confirmed that you weren't sure the motors were compatible and that the only source you found required huge bulk orders, so thought I would pose the question to the forum just in case any other members might have had some luck. Also wondered about interchangeable units.

Agree that used parts are almost not worth it in cases like this, but I enjoy tinkering with this sort of thing so I'm willing to give a motor or even a used servo unit a try if the price is reasonable. The Pull-a-parts around here don't have any RX's and the one traditional yard that has something they could pull, of course, wants to charge almost as much as a new unit due to the labor of pulling. Wish they would just let me at it...

Oh well, I'll dig around for a couple more days before I cave and purchase a new one.

So far, parts.com seems to have the best price. If anyone has found a less expensive source, please let me know.
Old 10-27-12, 01:24 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Do a cross check with IS and GS and if they are the same Lexus/Toyota part number, then feel free to post there too.

One thing to watch out is that part number for the motor (not the Lexus part number) comes in 3/6 and a 12v version.

When it comes to replacing motors, you have to physically match them ... unless you want to carve out the cavity or build the motor up.

Salim
Old 10-27-12, 08:46 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah

Salim
But if one was to find the motors locally at a lesser quantity, if you were able to disassemble your door lock actuator and put it back together, then you should be able to do the servo as well, IMO. I have not done it yet, but plan to do some further searching for the motors rather than replacing the entire part at $155 from the dealer.
Old 10-28-12, 12:02 PM
saudiboy
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any word on where best to source the air mix servo?