RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Antenna issues on my RX300

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-12, 01:15 PM
davidyal
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Antenna issues on my RX300

2003 RX3001 with 101K mi. Seems like after 100K, all the little things starting to fail. Last month it was door lock actuators. Today, my antenna started acting funny.

When I opened the radio, the antenna went up halfway, and then I heard an awful grinding noise. I went outside to help lift it up, and it expanded fully. Later, when I shut the car off, I heard the motor engage as usual but the antenna stayed up.

Can someone comment on whether I need a new antenna or motor or both? I've searched the forums, but not sure exactly which ailment I have....

David
Old 09-28-12, 02:26 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

You have to open it up.

Most likely part to fail is the plastic gear strip.

Mast replacement instructions are floating around in CL or on the net.

Salim
Old 10-01-12, 06:58 AM
CJspoppie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced mine instead of messing around with all attempts to fix..found one on internet somewhere and replaced it in about 1.5 hours.
Old 10-01-12, 05:43 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

I replaced the mast on mine, too. It started crapping out on me again within 6 months so I just bit the bullet and bought a new one.
Old 10-01-12, 09:37 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

It could be me that I did not get my coffee in the morning ... but what is being implied by "new one" ... the motor ?

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 10-03-12 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-03-12, 11:05 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

The whole thing - a new power antenna: All $170 worth!

Old 02-09-15, 02:09 PM
Linzeereed
Driver School Candidate

Default Having trouble installing new antenna

So my antenna on my 2001 rx300 got stuck in the up position but I could hear motor running. So I bought a new antenna and opened up the motor to remove the old antenna and broken off piece. I closed everything up and tried to thread the new antenna in by turning the radio off but it won't pull it in! It's like the end of the cord is being blocked by something. It hits a "wall" after being inserted like 6 inches. Any advice on what's going on???
Old 02-09-15, 03:05 PM
Baetke
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I had the same problem when fixing a friends car. There is a little "shoulder" in there that the plastic bit hits but if you keep rotating and stabbing it in you will eventually feel it go down the hole. Then the motor can pull it in. Remember to have the teeth oriented toward the front of the car so the gears will engage properly.
Old 02-10-15, 06:41 PM
jgoorn
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I modified mine with a hidden antenna mounted on the inside window panel. I get comments on it all the time and friends have asked me to do theirs. Reception is a tiny little bit reduced and music isn't always high quality.
Old 02-11-15, 01:57 PM
lexina
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Replacing the antenna mask is good enough; easy to do, as mentioned above. Try to avoid the cheap antenna mask on ebay; otherwise the plastic will come apart from the antenna and it will be stuck inside the motor.
Old 02-28-15, 10:48 PM
Nick26
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The "shoulder" problem can be solved by centering the plastic runner into the assembly. Use a small section of vacuum hose, slit up lengthwise. The plastic is inserted into the inside of the hose, and after you can feel it touch bottom, pull the hose up, removing it by means of the slit which you had already made. Worked for me on the first try.
Old 03-13-15, 01:13 PM
sharkido
Driver School Candidate

greetings

youtube RX 300 Antenna is in there along with other subjects
ebay has them at various prices
rub the mast with graphite while fully extended this worked for me and warmer temps
Old 03-13-15, 08:28 PM
mizak82
Rookie

piad 17 bucks for my antenna.. plastic piece usually fails.. kind of a crap design really.. took about an hour or so to fix..

Ive fixed a lot of things on my car since owning it for 2 years.. bought at 72k miles, now 102k.. maintenance i did the timing belt, water pump, 2 tranny flushes, oil changes, cabin filter, tires, front ball joints, stabilizer bars, wipers.. Upgrades I replaced my wheels with 2nd gens, k&n filter, new door speakers, new armrests, headlights, tint, struts all the way around.. broken stuff I replaced so far.. air mix servo, door master control switch, 2 auto door lock motors, antenna obviously, and a key..

however, it is now set for quite a bit.. I just think people need to decide what they want out of their cars.. I want mine to look brand new and drive that way.. I think it does.. others cut corners and drive them into the ground.. I still think it is a reliable car...
Old 03-19-15, 11:59 AM
VegasRX300
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you need to remove the motor, take it apart to remove broken pieces of the nylon strip that makes the antenna move up and down. Important to lube the inside where the strip feeds into with any wheel bearing grease (as shown in the DIY section)
No need to buy a whole new motor, just the antenna which is very cheap, I bought mine off eBay for $21.95 with the shipping (just make sure you buy a stainless steel one). A heck of a lot cheaper than a new motor
Replacement is very easy as shown in the DIY section.
Old 03-25-15, 09:25 AM
lexina
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

- Try to avoid cheap mask, otherwise the plastic gear will get ripped, seperated from the antenna and you will have more problem to remove the plastic part inside the motor.

- If you don't listen to AM much, then leave the antenna down, and unplug the power. FM works even when the antenna was down; no more clunking noise from the moving outdated antenna. you can still listen to radio when in the drive through car wash.

Quick Reply: Antenna issues on my RX300