RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Worn Leather Steering Wheel

Old 08-16-12, 05:40 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Worn Leather Steering Wheel

Hey all, my steering is starting get worn down. Not sure how to go about recovering it. Is there a simple solution? I suppose not. It's not as bad as the pictures make it look, but I don't want it to get any worse. I just applied some leather conditioner to it, hopefully that helps it. I'm going to let the conditioner work it's way in overnight, and I'll wipe the excess in the morning and put another coat of leather conditioner on it.

I'm thinking about getting a simple steering wheel cover from AutoZone for the time being.
Attached Thumbnails Worn Leather Steering Wheel-img_0010.jpg   Worn Leather Steering Wheel-img_0012.jpg   Worn Leather Steering Wheel-img_0015.jpg   Worn Leather Steering Wheel-img_0019.jpg  
Old 08-16-12, 05:53 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I can think of a whole range of less expensive partial solutions and more expensive better solutions.

Some ideas are: replacment steering wheel, cut the leather stiching and stich new leather in it's place, apply filler and use an air-brush to spray on new dye (i.e., leather paint), get an aftermarket stretch cover (larger Outer Diameter).

Last year I had a few spots on the driver's seat professionally repaired. He used special filler and then matched the leather color with dye (leather paint) applied with an air brush.
Old 08-16-12, 06:02 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

I thought about a replacement wheel, but If I were to replace the wheel I would definitely go for a 01+ wood wheel. But, to do that, I need a different airbag and I rather not waste that much money for something cosmetic.

I may just get a leather skin and stitch that on. That seems to be the most cost effective way of doing it, and it hopefully won't turn out looking like crap. Or, I might get a aftermarket stretch cover like you mentioned.

Thanks for the ideas!

Surprisingly, the leather seats still look like new. The only worn part is the arm rest.
Old 08-16-12, 07:16 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Mine has a few nicks at the top. I was thinking the same as you, go with the 01+ wood wheel, but really don't wanna change the airbag and what not. But I have found that some of the Lexus wheels have perforation that looks pretty nice. I have been on the hunt for one of those in fairly good condition. I guess they are found on some GS's and like 97-2000 SC's.
P.S. The conditioner will more than likely do nothing but making it a little smoother/softer to the touch. The leather is too far gone at this point.
Old 08-16-12, 08:33 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 99rx
Mine has a few nicks at the top. I was thinking the same as you, go with the 01+ wood wheel, but really don't wanna change the airbag and what not. But I have found that some of the Lexus wheels have perforation that looks pretty nice. I have been on the hunt for one of those in fairly good condition. I guess they are found on some GS's and like 97-2000 SC's.
P.S. The conditioner will more than likely do nothing but making it a little smoother/softer to the touch. The leather is too far gone at this point.
Yup, I just wanted to put the conditioner on to prevent any more wear.
Old 08-17-12, 06:28 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

I've got that same issue and have been thinking about putting a cover.
Old 08-17-12, 06:54 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I've got that same issue and have been thinking about putting a cover.
If you find a cover that fits well, and matches the car nicely, please let me know. We can have matching covers! lol
Old 08-17-12, 06:58 AM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

damn that is bad wear. i have begin to notice some on the ES. But i think i will apply some leatherique when i apply them to leather seats. Probably due to to much direct sun damage and oil hands.
Old 08-17-12, 01:34 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
If you find a cover that fits well, and matches the car nicely, please let me know. We can have matching covers! lol
Will let you know. We have one already in our 06 4Runner that really looks nice, but we got it with the vehicle when we bought it used.
Old 08-17-12, 07:35 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Mine's doing the same (not quite as bad as yours). I put some clear shoe wax (solid, not liquid) on. It darkened the peeled area to match the original and then I polished it to shine it up. Looks much better but you can still see where it was. I asked a leather repair guy if he could refinish it like he did my seats but he said it would wear off in no time.
Old 08-24-12, 10:23 AM
PaulDaisy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 01 has non wood wheel and shifter. It is an early 01 made in 2000, has all other features of 01 - larger tank, 3-position seat heaters, but the wheel is leatherette.
I saw ads of Lexuses parting out, maybe buy a whole wheel from them?
Old 08-24-12, 10:57 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

If I go through the hassle of installing another wheel, I would want an 01+ with wood. But, as of now it's too expensive to do that because of having to find an airbag that works.

For now, I'm going to keep it as is. And, if it get's annoying I will get a steering wheel cover. As of now, my priorites are to get new tires (within' a year), and new front struts + mounts (within' a year, but maybe two, as they aren't leaking, they just feel a bit worn out when going over rough roads). After all of that preventive maintenance I might splurge myself and get an 01+ wood wheel. Maybe I'll get it when the RX hits 200k as a gift for it. LOL
Old 08-24-12, 11:40 AM
PaulDaisy
Driver School Candidate

Just found this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-LEXUS-R...#ht_500wt_1087
Why can't you keep your own airbag?
Old 08-24-12, 11:50 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PaulDaisy
Just found this:
Why can't you keep your own airbag?
From what I understand the 01'+ has a double stage airbag, while the 99' and 00' have a single stage airbag. So my airbag won't fit in the 01'+ wheel.
Old 08-24-12, 12:01 PM
PaulDaisy
Driver School Candidate

Hmm. Looking at these images:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/00-LEXUS-RX3...#ht_736wt_1070
and
http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-00-Lexus-...ht_3107wt_1139
and
the hardware inside looks the same to me. Perhaps the airbag is different but the hardware is not?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Worn Leather Steering Wheel