RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Rear main seal leak- auto rx?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-13, 12:04 PM
bcg02
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I have since sold my rx, but yes, the auto rx did fix the leak.I can verify that it worked for at least 5k miles until I sold it. Took about 500 miles with the liquid in to fix the leak completely. Good luck
Old 05-26-13, 12:10 AM
richonline
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Have you consistently used the same brand/type and weight of oil?

Salim
Hi Salim,

My 01' RX300 recently had the same RMS after I changed rom Toyota Oil to Valveonline Coventional. AutoRX did not help much after one bottle use. Do you think the change of Oil Brand could be the cause of this leak?

Would also appreciate the helpful tips from all experts here. Thanks a lot.

Rich
Old 05-26-13, 07:14 AM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by richonline
Hi Salim,

My 01' RX300 recently had the same RMS after I changed rom Toyota Oil to Valveonline Coventional. AutoRX did not help much after one bottle use. Do you think the change of Oil Brand could be the cause of this leak?

Would also appreciate the helpful tips from all experts here. Thanks a lot.

Rich
I am not sure what you mean by Toyota Oil. We are talking about engine oil here .. right?

I have never tried an additive ... there are members who speak highly of autoRX .. and I hear it works slowly ... so please follow manufacturer's instructions.

My questions are generally to find what caused the problem? If it did not leak before than barring the last bit of wear, going back to the same oil (brand and weight) should stop the leak (if it is oil related).

Other than the additive, you can switch to higher weight of oil (but please stay within the weight based on your climate variation).

Salim
Old 05-26-13, 04:03 PM
richonline
Rookie

Thanks Salim. Yes I was talking about the engine oil, I used Toyota engine oil (which you buy at the dealer shop) before. Then after I changed to Valveonline engine oil, it had the leak. Have changed back Toyota and added one AutoRX. It stopped after 2k in winter. But leak came back in summer after 3k. I am thinking to change to full synthetic PP or the GTX oil...but not sure it will help though.

Originally Posted by salimshah
I am not sure what you mean by Toyota Oil. We are talking about engine oil here .. right?

I have never tried an additive ... there are members who speak highly of autoRX .. and I hear it works slowly ... so please follow manufacturer's instructions.

My questions are generally to find what caused the problem? If it did not leak before than barring the last bit of wear, going back to the same oil (brand and weight) should stop the leak (if it is oil related).

Other than the additive, you can switch to higher weight of oil (but please stay within the weight based on your climate variation).

Salim
Old 05-29-13, 02:53 PM
richonline
Rookie

Hey Guys, seems to have a good thing to report:

I changed to Castrol GTX 5w30 today, 15 miles driving after the oil change, I have not seen the leak any more...Hope I am not happy too soon.

Originally Posted by richonline
Thanks Salim. Yes I was talking about the engine oil, I used Toyota engine oil (which you buy at the dealer shop) before. Then after I changed to Valveonline engine oil, it had the leak. Have changed back Toyota and added one AutoRX. It stopped after 2k in winter. But leak came back in summer after 3k. I am thinking to change to full synthetic PP or the GTX oil...but not sure it will help though.