RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Lexus RX300 2002 85k - Losing 1 quart every 750 miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-12, 09:24 AM
lexus2k2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks carguy07 and code58

I shopped around for some quotes to get the valve cover off ..

Dealership wants $1150 for labor + parts (upwards of $550). Not gonna hapen.

Called PepBoys - guy quoted me $540 (labor + parts), This guy also reccomends an oil flush @ $89

Another garage quoted $550/- (Labor + only gasket to be changed).

They amount to almost 10% of the car cost.
I estimate that my car would fetch only about $6k.

Are these prices reasonable or should I be shopping some more ...
Old 07-18-12, 11:06 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

How about the removing the front valve cover and the engine pan?

By the angle the rear valve cover may be a better place to check, but the above two should give you enough info to pursue or not.

Salim
Old 07-18-12, 11:07 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

For which valve cover? The front valve cover can be done within' one hour.
Old 07-18-12, 11:30 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus2k2
thanks carguy07 and code58

I shopped around for some quotes to get the valve cover off ..

Dealership wants $1150 for labor + parts (upwards of $550). Not gonna hapen.

Called PepBoys - guy quoted me $540 (labor + parts), This guy also reccomends an oil flush @ $89

Another garage quoted $550/- (Labor + only gasket to be changed).

They amount to almost 10% of the car cost.
I estimate that my car would fetch only about $6k.

Are these prices reasonable or should I be shopping some more ...
That is a more than a little out of the ball park for removing the front valve cover. The garage that quoted $550. labor is not totally off their rocker if that is for BOTH valve covers. Needless to say we won't even address the stealership price for fear of insulting them. And YOU thought the coffee and donnuts were FREE! Fooled you! I would do it for free if you bought the gaskets but my arms won't reach from Ca. to Il. It truly isn't much work to do the front one, too bad you're not mechanically inclined. The lower pan also isn't bad, as it's completely in the open unlike most cars. Please tell me you won't take it to Pep Boys. Your poor car would die of embarrassment being seen there, to say nothing of the fact I don't consider them a legitimate mechanical shop. If you have $89. to waste, throw it to the wind, not an oil flush at PB's!
Old 07-19-12, 12:59 PM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

code58 - Thanks for the transmission fluid as a type of flush info. It's nice to hear ACTUAL experience about using this.

Lexus2K2 - If you were close enough I would too help out with the valve cover. Front cover is extremely easy to take a quick peak at the engine condition!

What ever happen to the days of neighbor helping each other out over a 24-Pack?
Old 07-19-12, 03:09 PM
lexus2k2
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the offers - code58 and JohnLX300

I have not worked with Automobiles ever - so the fear.

I do get my hand dirty quite often. I like to build furniture (not from scratch) .. but assemble them. I have worked on many construction projects (small).

Given the proper direction I could probably do it myself. Anyone have any pics for the RX300 on which bolts I have to remove.
Pre-steps (like clean the engine outside first – with WD40 maybe)
Remove the engine oil
Which nuts/bolts to remove
How to remove the Gasket and replace it ..

I have found a couple of posts that talk about the removal of the Front valve cover (not RX but a Lexus)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...nspection.html

I like to get into Auto - but dont have a mentor. And I dont want to break my ride.
Old 07-19-12, 03:41 PM
salimshah

If you can build stuff, then get hold of Workshop manual. Lexus manuals are very complete.

Salim
Old 07-24-12, 09:51 AM
lexus2k2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
If you can build stuff, then get hold of Workshop manual. Lexus manuals are very complete.

Salim
Salim - thanks for the insight. I got hold of the XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX manuals. (the manuals are copyrighted ... edit .. salim)

The valve cover is mentioned under two sections :
1) EM–4 VALVE CLEARANCE
2) AX–9 VALVE BODY ASSEMBLY

I am thinking I should follow the AX-9 to remove the front valve cover. I should do Step 1, 2 and 3. Or should I go all the way to Step 11.
And of course remove the oil pan for inspection.

On a side note - I got the RX300 inspected by another garage. And got them to change my PCV valve. The old one was not too bad - it still had a rattle in it. Although not as defined as the new one. The mechanic did not find any visible leakage. And no visible smoke (the shed was very close to my house so engine was relatively cold).

At this point the next steps is to get the front valve cover off – either myself or the mechanic. Hoping to work on it in the next few days.

Last edited by salimshah; 07-24-12 at 01:25 PM. Reason: copy rights!
Old 07-24-12, 11:33 AM
salimshah

Another must have is

Reader's Digest Complete Car Care Manual [Hardcover]

to get you a high level overview.

Invest in a (or two low-range and high range) torque wrench (does not need to be high priced one).

Tip:
Do the maintenance, but never try to fix something that is not broken.

So when you look at the procedures, stop at the stage that says how to remove valve cover.

Salim
Old 07-25-12, 07:47 AM
PaulDaisy
Driver School Candidate

+1 on taking the front cover off yourself.
A basic set of tools - 3/8" sockets, ratchet, extension - will set you back from $15 to $50, depending on the quality level of the tools, and any quality level is sufficient for this job.
The main concern I have for someone completely unfamiliar is, tendency to over-tighten the cover and do it out of proper criss crosss sequence, which can tweak it, pinch the gasket and cause a leak of oil onto the exhaust manifold. Which is an obvious and easy to fix issue.
P.S. While the valve cover is off I would especially carefully examine the valve stems. You may have an oil seep along the stems, although that really should manifest itself in an emissions test with the scale of oil loss you are describing. But with the valves opened up I would take a look anyway.
Old 07-26-12, 09:02 AM
lexus2k2
Driver School Candidate

Great info Salim - thanks.

For anyone who wants to get the book .. it is available at Amazon. Make sure you check the item condition - I kinda overlooked it and purchased a "Good" condition book. Planning to return and re-purchase a "New" or "Like New" condition - if the i dont like the condition on the one I get. Fairly inexpensive.

PaulDaisy - thanks for the info. Finally going getting to get my hands greasy .. Need all the support.
Good tip/reminder on the tightening of the screws. We should do it like we do for the wheels - opposite ones until all are done.
Old 09-29-12, 06:54 PM
lexus2k2
Driver School Candidate

Default pictures of front valve cover

ok .. got the front valve covers off .. here are the pics.

they look clean. No problems.

At a loss as to where the old is being lost ..

any ideas guys ...

PS : Sorry it took so long to post pics .. i really could not get to it. Finally has it done at the mech.
Attached Thumbnails Lexus RX300 2002 85k - Losing 1 quart every 750 miles-img_0295_e.jpg   Lexus RX300 2002 85k - Losing 1 quart every 750 miles-img_0296_e.jpg  
Old 09-30-12, 11:10 AM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't know much about sludge, but I'm sympathetic to your disappearing oil problem. My daughter's 99 uses about that much oil on the highway, not so much in town. We got it several years ago with 115K miles. I believe it was maintained well, and I switched to Mobil 1 oil. It has been suggested on this board that if I switch to Pennzoil Platinum, my oil consumption may decrease. I plan to do that at the next oil change. I also was going to replace the PCV valve. I took one with me along with some tools (less that 7" long to carry on the plane!!) when I visited my daughter at college. Unfortunately, the dealer sold me the wrong (thread-in vs.push-in) PCV valve, so I'll have to do it later.

Just thought I'd share. Hopefully, different oil will help me. I really don't want to have a sludge problem....
Old 09-30-12, 01:46 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

No sludge, just heavy varnish.

What type of oil are you running?
+1, on running PP 5W-30, it will help reduce consumption while cleaning up the engine.

If switching over to PP doesn't change consumption then I would look into the revised valve cover:https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...lve-cover.html
Old 10-01-12, 10:38 AM
lexus2k2
Driver School Candidate

Default what are next steps ?

trhs75 - after I started this thread - I started to monitor my oil consumption. And as like in your case - I am losing more oil on long trips (more than a couple of hours on the Interstate). Less in town. I would say the 1Quart for every 750 on Long trips. And 1Quart for every 1000 miles in-town. I have changed the PCV valve. The mechanic says car is fine. No visible oil leaks.

hypervish - will start using PP from next oil change. Thanks for the tip.
overall it is good news. No sludge (my biggest fear) from inspecting the front valve covers. Would not think that front and rear would be different.

At this time I plan to just keep monitoring the oil levels and top up as needed. Not sure if I need to take any extra steps.

Quick Reply: Lexus RX300 2002 85k - Losing 1 quart every 750 miles