RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Advice on tighter suspension for RX300

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-12, 03:15 AM
dws1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on tighter suspension for RX300

My RX300 has 183,000 miles and about a year ago I replaced all 4 struts with original equipment KYBs. The ride improved, but the car still floats around corners and bumps and doesn't feel tight at all. I am looking for advice on how to tighten up the suspension to like new or better. Maybe I should have replaced the springs at the same time? Also, is there a good online supplier of custom suspension parts for the RX300... Thanks!
Old 06-29-12, 12:21 PM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replace my struts with KYB's all around @ 108k, my car rode better than a new RX! I also replaced the strut mounts and sway bar links all around as well. Did you only replace the struts?
Old 07-02-12, 02:52 AM
dws1
Driver School Candidate

Hi thanks for your post ! I only replaced the struts. I guess I should have done more like you did with the sway bar links. The strut mounts look like they're fine on my car, it didn't seem like they would really wear down. Do you know where to find an online store for lexus suspension parts that's an upgrade from OEM. I used justsuspension.com for the KYBs.
Old 07-02-12, 05:49 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Usually KYB's give a soft ride, they won't improve handling unless obviously the old struts were worn out, which they likely were.
Old 07-02-12, 05:59 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

New springs won't help, unless the vehicle has been overloaded severely. And because of that the springs are damaged. Besides that springs usually don't wear out.

Btw- sorry for the second post, I'm on the mobile version of the site since I'm on a road trip and they don't have an edit button like there is on the desktop version of the site.
Old 07-09-12, 04:10 AM
dws1
Driver School Candidate

Hi, the car never towed anything or wasn't overloaded so maybe it's not the springs. What else could it be if I replaced the struts already. The car just isn't anywhere near as tight as another lexus rx300 I have which has 108K miles. Maybe the sway bars or the tie rod ends... Any advice on how to diagnose it myself... thanks again!!
Old 07-09-12, 07:30 AM
bufferdan
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Bigger wheels with sportier/better tires will make a huge difference. Specially if you have the oem Goodyear dookies...
Old 03-08-14, 05:52 AM
dws1
Driver School Candidate

Still looking for a who has been able to make their RX300 suspension like new or even tighter. I now have 201K miles on the car. At about 170K miles, I replaced all 4 struts with KYBs. Also replaced the bushings in the front sway bar and the front and rear tie rod end bushings. Didn't replace the strut mounts, because they didn't look like they would wear. Didn't replace the springs either. The car rides "ok" but looking to make it nice and tight.... Going for the next 100K miles
Old 03-08-14, 05:55 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dws1
Still looking for a who has been able to make their RX300 suspension like new or even tighter. I now have 201K miles on the car. At about 170K miles, I replaced all 4 struts with KYBs. Also replaced the bushings in the front sway bar and the front and rear tie rod end bushings. Didn't replace the strut mounts, because they didn't look like they would wear. Didn't replace the springs either. The car rides "ok" but looking to make it nice and tight.... Going for the next 100K miles
Any "play" in the control arms?
Old 03-16-14, 11:48 AM
yakev724
Driver School Candidate

I'm at 200k and recently replaced all the bushings/joints in my front end, bearings, shocks, etc. and car feels great, worlds apart to how it was before.

Also moved to wider track DWS (235/55/18) all around and they've made quite a difference as well.

A couple upgrades that are available relatively cheap if you keep an eye out for them are sway bars (whiteline made front/rear for the 5.5 gen camry/solara which should fit, trd made rear only, though the rear will require exhaust work to fit) and strut tower bar (trd made one for the 5.5 camry/solara which should fit as well). Lowering the car (trd/h&r made springs) will lower your center of gravity and reduce roll.

edit: most of the above-mentioned parts (trd variants at least) are out of production so you'll need to find them used. No idea about the TRD springs; I've only heard of a few sets imported from japan.

Last edited by yakev724; 03-16-14 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-16-14, 02:16 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

dws1:

The RX300 was never a particularly "tight" vehicle - it's ride was balanced very much towards comfort than handling. You're going to have to go to a Bilstein HD or sport -type shock and maybe polyurethane control arm/sway bar bushings to get what you're looking for. Be careful what you ask for....... you may get it and not like it!
Old 03-18-14, 06:34 AM
dws1
Driver School Candidate

Thanks sktn77a, hypervish and yakev724 for the good suggestions. I have a few real good areas to look into now. I had replaced the rear control arms a couple years ago, but not the fronts, so that is probably next. Then look at replacing the bushings, I didn't know there might be polyurethane ones available. You're right, I did like the comfort ride of the RX300, and not looking to go full sport suspension...
Old 05-30-14, 08:39 AM
dws1
Driver School Candidate

On my 1999 RX300, still looking for a tighter ride and upgraded suspension. I replaced the front control arms, ball joints, sway bar bushings (front and rear), rear control arms and front and rear links. Back in 2012 I replaced all 4 struts with new KYBs (about 30K miles ago). Bottom line is the car still doesn't ride like I am shooting for.
My mechanic suggested the best thing would be to get some Coilovers, but all I see is the Tein for FWD cars. Mine is AWD though. Has anyone found a Coilover that would work on an AWD RX 1st generation? Or is there another recommendation that you might have.... Thanks!
Old 05-30-14, 09:23 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by dws1
On my 1999 RX300, still looking for a tighter ride and upgraded suspension. I replaced the front control arms, ball joints, sway bar bushings (front and rear), rear control arms and front and rear links. Back in 2012 I replaced all 4 struts with new KYBs (about 30K miles ago). Bottom line is the car still doesn't ride like I am shooting for.
My mechanic suggested the best thing would be to get some Coilovers, but all I see is the Tein for FWD cars. Mine is AWD though. Has anyone found a Coilover that would work on an AWD RX 1st generation? Or is there another recommendation that you might have.... Thanks!
Until there is demand for coilovers on the RX, you will have to do the coilover sleeve route.
Megan racing, weapon-r, ground control are the few i recall that have sleeves that might fit your KYB's.

I would prefer the strut and spring route. If you went to OEM KYB's they are valved softer than the KYB GR2/Exel G series. Most aftermarket springs have a higher spring rate as well. H&R and Eibach offer progressive springs, so they are comfortable when there is no load but firm when turning.

If you are trying to correct some roll, they manufacture a 19mm rear swaybar
Old 06-02-14, 07:44 AM
dws1
Driver School Candidate

Thanks fastnoypi !
I have priced it out and the OEM Lexus struts are about $1000, the H&R are $260, and the mounts are another $500 or so. Installation is $380 according to my mechanic... total around $2,160. More than I thought it would be, what do you guys think, worth it at 204K miles? I have a remanufactured transmission from Lexus that is only 2 years old installed already.

Quick Reply: Advice on tighter suspension for RX300