RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Grom iPod DIY or recommend installer near S.F./S.J., CA?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-12, 12:13 PM
Partywave
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grom iPod DIY or recommend installer near S.F./S.J., CA?

I just bought a good condition 2000 RX300 and I'm disappointed that Best Buy says no audio wiring harness exists so it is surprisingly difficult to find anyone to install an aftermarket iPod-capable receiver/deck.

So, after many hours of searching and reading about DICE, VAIS, and now GROM, can anyone recommend the EASIEST DIY for a novice like me or better yet a car audio shop in/around San Francisco, San Jose, East Bay, Santa Cruz, Salinas, or Monterey, CA that can handle a simple request of installing something like Grom (link below) or comparable iPod integration cable/jack or even an entire receiver/deck?

Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-2001-Le..._Video&vxp=mtr

Thank you,

Dave C.
Monterey, CA
Old 06-28-12, 02:45 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Hey, welcome to Club Lexus!

I installed an FM Modulator, different from a FM Transmitter. The Modulator sounds just as good as any FM station, and it let's me charge my iphone along with audio.

Here's a link to a video I did on the iSimple IS77 Modulator: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...eature=mh_lolz
Old 06-28-12, 03:02 PM
Partywave
Rookie

Originally Posted by hypervish
Hey, welcome to Club Lexus!

I installed an FM Modulator, different from a FM Transmitter. The Modulator sounds just as good as any FM station, and it let's me charge my iphone along with audio.

Here's a link to a video I did on the iSimple IS77 Modulator: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...eature=mh_lolz
Thank you for the welcome and for the helpful advice. Your iSimple solution offers great quality and ease of use however I am a little intimidated by the installation. Did you install it yourself or did you have a professional installer do it? If you did it yourself, was the installation on an RX300 about as easy as this guy describes from about 2 minutes to 3 minutes:

Thanks again,

Dave
Old 06-28-12, 03:27 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

You're welcome!

It was very simple to install, the "hardest" part is getting power to it. I did install it myself, but Best Buy charges a flat rate of $50 to install. And, you can buy the iSimple IS77 on ebay for about $60.

Here's the link to the post I did on it, I explain how I installed it: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5708053-post11.html

The one in the video above is different, this is an FM Modulator, the one in the video appears to connect to the radio via harness. This connects via the antenna cable.
Old 06-28-12, 06:47 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey, Partywave! Welcome!

Personally, I went the route of the GROM iPod adapter. It deactivates the CD player but lets you use the CD player controls for the iPod. It seems to me it was around $100. Installation is a piece of cake and it works beautifully. My daughter absolutely loves it in her RX. Look at the gromaudio.com website at the installation video for the RX. See what you think, anyway. Good luck!

Last edited by trhs75; 07-01-12 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-08-12, 09:28 AM
Partywave
Rookie

Originally Posted by trhs75
Hey, Partywave! Welcome!

Personally, I went the route of the GROM iPod adapter. It deactivates the CD player but lets you use the CD player controls for the iPod. It seems to me it was around $100. Installation is a piece of cake and it works beautifully. My daughter absolutely loves it in her RX. Look at the gromaudio.com website at the installation video for the RX. See what you think, anyway. Good luck!
Thanks, trhs. I found a local guy to install an iPod hookup for me and the brand he used is USA-SPEC. I'm happy to say it works marvelously. We retained the ability to use the CD changer, press the CD button twice and the iPod kicks in. CDs 1 through 6 are playlists, 7 is all songs, 8 is direct control using the iPod face. And, the cable charges the iPod too so it includes all of the features I could have hoped for.
Old 07-08-12, 10:40 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Looking at the USA-SPEC literature online, it appears to say you have to disconnect the CD changer. Also, it is unclear if it will only work with those RX300s with NAV. Partywave: do you have NAV?
Old 07-09-12, 08:28 AM
Partywave
Rookie

Originally Posted by bob2200
Looking at the USA-SPEC literature online, it appears to say you have to disconnect the CD changer. Also, it is unclear if it will only work with those RX300s with NAV. Partywave: do you have NAV?
No, I don't have NAV or Nakamichi, etc. My RX's system is the basic system with 6-CD changer. The installation was too complex for me to handle but I am very happy the installer was able to intall the iPod cable through the CD changer without disabling it - both the CD and the iPod work perfectly. The installer did say that installation required one additional cable that he initially didn't plan for. I scanned and attached below the back page of the USA-SPEC owner's manual with the model number in the top right corner in case it might be useful:

Old 07-09-12, 09:34 AM
Pughnitive
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Partywave
No, I don't have NAV or Nakamichi, etc. My RX's system is the basic system with 6-CD changer. The installation was too complex for me to handle but I am very happy the installer was able to intall the iPod cable through the CD changer without disabling it - both the CD and the iPod work perfectly. The installer did say that installation required one additional cable that he initially didn't plan for. I scanned and attached below the back page of the USA-SPEC owner's manual with the model number in the top right corner in case it might be useful:
Amazing! This is what I've been looking for! I'm new to the forum, but I expect you'll see me around here more often.

Partywave, do you happen to know what that additional cable was or is it possible to find out? I'm thinking of installing this myself.

I noticed Crutchfield sells this product and a model just like it, the PA20-TOY. Curious what the differences are. One for factory stereo with nav and one without? http://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearc...xus.html?avf=N Their bluetooth interface looks like it's amazing too!

Last edited by Pughnitive; 07-09-12 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-09-12, 11:34 AM
Partywave
Rookie

Originally Posted by Pughnitive
Amazing! This is what I've been looking for! I'm new to the forum, but I expect you'll see me around here more often.

Partywave, do you happen to know what that additional cable was or is it possible to find out? I'm thinking of installing this myself.

I noticed Crutchfield sells this product and a model just like it, the PA20-TOY. Curious what the differences are. One for factory stereo with nav and one without? http://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearc...xus.html?avf=N Their bluetooth interface looks like it's amazing too!
From one NOOB to another, welcome aboard, Pughnitive. I wish I was more technically savvy and could answer your question. Hopefully this will help. The installer showed me this page of the owner's manual and said notes 6 and 7 are the reason I needed to pay for an additional cable (see orange highlights below):

Old 07-11-12, 09:02 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Partywave,

May I ask what the unit cost and how much the installation was? Sounds like the perfect solution!
Old 07-12-12, 12:17 AM
Partywave
Rookie

Originally Posted by trhs75
Partywave,

May I ask what the unit cost and how much the installation was? Sounds like the perfect solution!

Yes, of course. He advertised $169 plus tax on Craigslist. It came out to $215 including tax and the additional cable required for an RX300. So, I gave him $250 because he deserved the tip for installing on basically zero advanced notice plus he was so helpful in showing step by step how to use it, etc.
Old 07-12-12, 08:30 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

That's really very good -- I wish I 'd known about that last year!
Old 08-07-13, 02:18 PM
BiggestGuy
Driver School Candidate

Partywave- after having your USA-Spec iPod interface installed for a year are you still happy with it? Have you had any issues?
Old 08-07-13, 04:31 PM
Boltzmann
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the GROM adapter and installed it myself. It was incredibly easy; even a novice can pull it off.

Quick Reply: Grom iPod DIY or recommend installer near S.F./S.J., CA?