RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

How to remove stock stereo and hook up subwoofers

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-12, 07:51 PM
joe250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove stock stereo and hook up subwoofers

Ive been looking on thses forums and google to look for this model but cant and want to know if I could install 2 12 subs and 1000 watt amp without havent to break anything.

As in when I remove the stock stero do I have to snap off the wood grain guards and just pull out the stereo. As for the carpet can I lift it up and run the wires and looks like new.

What i really want to know is can I install a system and when I need to sell it, can I put the stock radio back and everything will be like new
Old 05-18-12, 11:12 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Do a bit of home-work before you go too far.

When I read 1000 watts amps ... I think there is some hype-exaggeration some where.

The preamp signal levels in Lexus are non-standard and are dual-differential (L+, L-, R+, R-). Easiest place is after the amp (speaker outputs). You dont need to rip much up, and would need to wire from AMP to your new amp and speakers.

You can get louder with additional Amp, but the acoustics (based on the cabin) will most probably fall short and the doors will tend to vibrate. [they already do with the stock amp and speakers ]

If you go through the gallery, you will find some installations that you may like.

Salim
Old 05-19-12, 07:19 PM
RXdriver11
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes.. it can be done. My very first install in my car was a 10" sub and a 1500w rms amp. I ran everything so I f I chose to sell I could just pull it all out and plug in the factory. BUT.. you must know when you start your install that you plan to pull everything out and return it to stock.
You do not nee to break the wood bezel to remove the radio. You will have to remove ( I recommend) all the seats and pull the carpet and hide your wires there. You can throw them under the trim by the door but I had a 4awg wire cause the trim to rise up so everything is under the carpet now.
And what Salim is revering to when he says "When I read 1000 watts amps ... I think there is some hype-exaggeration some where. " is that some companies will post misleading specs to get the "rated" power on their amps. Always look for "RMS" ratings. An amp may be listed as "1000w" but if you read the fine print it will say "500w rms". If you have any questions you can shoot me a line and I can give my 2cents on audio equipment, and I can give you an equation to figure if an amp will actually do the power it says. It takes the power rating and fuse size into account.