RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

About to buy this '99 with 110,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-12, 03:43 PM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default About to buy this '99 with 110,000 miles

I'm about to buy this '99 RX and paid to have the valve covers removed for inpspection. It has had its oil changed by the Lexus dealer all its life. Whaddya' think?

Old 04-09-12, 03:54 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

It's definitely not sludged.
Old 04-09-12, 04:03 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Just minor varnish, no sludge.

A few oil changes at 3,000 miles will clean it up.
Old 04-09-12, 07:04 PM
RXdriver11
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

1st since you have the covers off you might as well change the valve cover gasket and spark plug tube gasket. And be aware of the trany issue and maybe start researching a shop for an overhaul if it should happen.
Old 04-09-12, 07:41 PM
Bon
Advanced

The Lexus dealer still owns the car so I'm not doing the work. They just buttoned it back up. Luckily I have a friend that runs a transmission repair business and comes loaded with experience. I'll be talking things over with him for sure.
Old 04-09-12, 09:51 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

That thing looks clean to mean. Just a little more varnished than mine was. I say go for it.
Old 04-10-12, 05:36 AM
Bon
Advanced

I have several bottles of Auto-Rx on order to work on that varnish. Perhaps in 5,000 miles I'll pull the covers again and renew the o-rings, valve cover gaskets and take some follow-up pictures.

I see that Sewell pricing on a new AWD transmission is $2,300 to club members. I don't know why anyone would go used or rebuilt when a new OEM transmission is so close in cost.

Has anyone posted their experience with swapping their own tranny? Or is totally worth having a shop do the swap?
Old 04-10-12, 06:21 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Lexmex did upgrade his transmission, after he had a slight accident in Mexico. I'm sure he will elaborate on how hard or easy it was to remove and reinstall the transmission. His transmission didn't fail like all of the other transmissions, his was damaged by a rock (or something like that, I don't remember, it's been awhile since i read the thread).

Let me see if I can dig up that thread.
EDIT: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...went-bump.html
Old 04-10-12, 07:17 AM
Bon
Advanced

Wow, hypervish, thanks for the link. That's quite a thread. I'd say that a straight swap looks doable for the experienced and determined diy'er with the requisite tools, time and willing friends. It also looks like a good opportunity to inspect and renew the entire front end suspension and steering components. Well, I hope to never get there but I like knowing what I'm at risk for.

Out of curiosity I think I'll email Sewell and see if their transmissions are new or remanufactured.
Old 04-11-12, 03:56 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

That transmission runs so darned smooth now. I have been running Redline D4 tranny fluid in it.

That transmission isn't rocket science if you are mechanically inclined and have the right tools. There's no electronic work or resetting that you need to do, just make sure you hook up all the grounds and they are right.
Old 04-11-12, 07:03 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

If you buy it,I recommend Pennzoil Ultra. That stuff will clean that baby up in one to two oil changes. ( btw,it looks very good. No worries.)
Old 04-11-12, 12:13 PM
Bon
Advanced

I just spoke with Sewell Lexus about the transmission that I'd get if I order it online through their online parts system. It is remanufactured. You can tell that because the part number ends with an "84". It can be shipped by FedEx Ground. shipping to my zip estimates to be $130. There is a $1000 core charge and I don't know who pays the return shipping. The core charge didn't appear when I took the shopping cart all the way up to finalizing the order.

My plan is to buy this RX300 and run some Auto-Rx and then a steady diet of oil changes. For the tranny I'll pull the pan, put in a new paper filter, a secondary oil cooler, an inline Magnafine filter and refill with Red Line D4 ATF. And finally, I'll keep my fingers crossed!
Old 04-11-12, 01:17 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bon
I just spoke with Sewell Lexus about the transmission that I'd get if I order it online through their online parts system. It is remanufactured. You can tell that because the part number ends with an "84". It can be shipped by FedEx Ground. shipping to my zip estimates to be $130. There is a $1000 core charge and I don't know who pays the return shipping. The core charge didn't appear when I took the shopping cart all the way up to finalizing the order.

My plan is to buy this RX300 and run some Auto-Rx and then a steady diet of oil changes. For the tranny I'll pull the pan, put in a new paper filter, a secondary oil cooler, an inline Magnafine filter and refill with Red Line D4 ATF. And finally, I'll keep my fingers crossed!
Sounds like a good plan!
Old 04-11-12, 03:23 PM
Aprazur
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't replace the old metal trans filter, if its still there. Clean the old one in fuel oil or paint thinner. Its a much better filter than the paper one.

Don't put in a inline Magnafine filter without installing a trans temp & pressure gauges. The magnafine has been known to restrict the oil flow and drop trans pressure. It did in my trans... I puled the magnafine. Its not so fine in my book.

Temp is the biggest enemy of your trans. Buy/install a temp gauge. I believe that Amsoil is the best oil that you can buy ($10.00 Qt). It lowered my trans oil temp 30+ degrees. Just saying. I'm an old trans rebuilder. Google Amsoil on the net.

Jerry
Old 04-11-12, 04:49 PM
Bon
Advanced

Originally Posted by Aprazur
Don't replace the old metal trans filter, if its still there. Clean the old one in fuel oil or paint thinner. Its a much better filter than the paper one.

Don't put in a inline Magnafine filter without installing a trans temp & pressure gauges. The magnafine has been known to restrict the oil flow and drop trans pressure. It did in my trans... I puled the magnafine. Its not so fine in my book.

Temp is the biggest enemy of your trans. Buy/install a temp gauge. I believe that Amsoil is the best oil that you can buy ($10.00 Qt). It lowered my trans oil temp 30+ degrees. Just saying. I'm an old trans rebuilder. Google Amsoil on the net.

Jerry
Thanks for your input Jerry. Can you say more about the use of a transmission temp and pressure gauge? I'm going to keep the oem cooler in line with the aftermarket with the thinking that the ATF will warm up with the radiator but then kept from getting too hot with the extra cooling area. What temps and pressures should I be shooting for? My goal is not to become an old transmission rebuilder. I'm already old!

Quick Reply: About to buy this '99 with 110,000 miles