RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Codes in and out

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-12, 06:23 AM
BiggerOkie
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Codes in and out

Well, the 01 RX is throwing codes or a code but by the time we get it to the mechanic they clear?!?!?! It has done this 3 times. I didn't know codes could clear on their own. This might be related, but the idle seems a little rough(especially when the a/c is on). You can feel it thru the steering wheel.

Also, can an over oiled K&N mess up the MAF? I'm wondering if this isn't the problem. It had this filter in it when we bought it. I thought about going back to a paper filter.

Any suggestions on these problems?
Thanks, David
Old 03-25-12, 06:52 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

"can an over oiled K&N mess up the MAF"

Yes, I would clean it.
Old 03-25-12, 07:04 AM
BiggerOkie
Rookie

Originally Posted by carguy07
"can an over oiled K&N mess up the MAF"

Yes, I would clean it.

Clean the MAF? Maybe with Sea Foam spray?
Old 03-25-12, 07:18 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

NO, don't use sea foam, it will ruin the maf sensor. Use CRC MAF Cleaner.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-cleaning.html
Old 03-25-12, 07:27 AM
BiggerOkie
Rookie

Originally Posted by hypervish
NO, don't use sea foam, it will ruin the maf sensor. Use CRC MAF Cleaner.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-cleaning.html
Ok. Thx for the link. Looks simple. Do codes reset themselves ? Do this rough idle sound like a MAF?
Old 03-25-12, 05:23 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BiggerOkie
Ok. Thx for the link. Looks simple. Do codes reset themselves ? Do this rough idle sound like a MAF?
David, be very careful when cleaning the MAF. It can be essily damaged. I personally would get rid of the K&N filter. Over oiling is a major problem with the MAF. Just not worth it in my book. Since the MAF plays a critical role in controling the balance of air and fuel, it could indeed affect the idle. I personally would suggest you buy your own Code reader. For $50. or less, you can get a very usable reader and you don't have to run to the mechanic to have it read. I suggest that in the day and age when cars are run by computers that anyone who can pass the driving test go and buy themselves a reader and get familiar with a good OBD2 site. Or get used to emptying your wallet, the choice is yours. You said you are throwing codes that then clear thewmselves. You probably mean you have a CEL that then goes off. Codes don't clear them selves. A CEL doesn't necessarily mean you have a code.
Old 03-25-12, 05:31 PM
BiggerOkie
Rookie

Originally Posted by code58
David, be very careful when cleaning the MAF. It can be essily damaged. I personally would get rid of the K&N filter. Over oiling is a major problem with the MAF. Just not worth it in my book. Since the MAF plays a critical role in controling the balance of air and fuel, it could indeed affect the idle. I personally would suggest you buy your own Code reader. For $50. or less, you can get a very usable reader and you don't have to run to the mechanic to have it read. I suggest that in the day and age when cars are run by computers that anyone who can pass the driving test go and buy themselves a reader and get familiar with a good OBD2 site. Or get used to emptying your wallet, the choice is yours. You said you are throwing codes that then clear thewmselves. You probably mean you have a CEL that then goes off. Codes don't clear them selves. A CEL doesn't necessarily mean you have a code.
It's the engine light and vse lights that come and go. SPEAKING of readers, which one would you recommend ? I have a silverado, could I get one to read both? I cleaned it and so far so good. I will probably get a paper filter. I appreciate the help
Old 03-25-12, 11:31 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BiggerOkie
It's the engine light and vse lights that come and go. SPEAKING of readers, which one would you recommend ? I have a silverado, could I get one to read both? I cleaned it and so far so good. I will probably get a paper filter. I appreciate the help
David, I'll give you a few suggestions for code readers and scanners.
#1.
Amazon Amazon
#2.
Amazon Amazon
#3.
Amazon Amazon
I would probably suggest #2. It's a code reader that is sufficient for what you need at a very good price. It is CAN compliant and will work with both your RX and truck. The other 2 I believe are both scanners and will give you the definition on screen as to what the code means. With # 2. you'll have to look the code meaning up on an OBD2 chart (online). They're all so cheap that you shouldn't be without one. I feel these are all good diagnostic tools. My brother has # 2., I've used it and it's very easy to use and seems to be a good choice. The reader MAY show a "pending" code which won't "set" the CEL, but will give you a hint as to what is triggering it to go on and off.

Sorry David, Just realized that #1. & #3. are the same scanner, sold by different sources at different prices. Not suggesting you buy from Amazon, just any easy source to reference.

Last edited by code58; 03-25-12 at 11:38 PM.
Old 03-26-12, 02:37 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Roger, your post is timely for me. I have recently become THE mechanic for my niece's Acura TSX. She threw a code last week and we met at the local Autozone Sunday am to have it read. I really am tired of doing this but my L/T vehicles threw so few codes I never got around to buying a scanner. Every time I started to get serious about buying one, I couldn't decide on what features I wanted or what brand to buy. Autel looks fine but why didn't you suggest something like Actron? I think you have a Scangage which is probably too high powered for me.
Old 03-27-12, 01:00 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Art,
I do have a Scan Guage II but that is for mounting in the vehicle. I have an Auto X-Ray 6000. It is a really nice scanner (I did a lot of research before I bought it) but I don't ever recommend that because most DIY/ mechanics don't need that kind of scanner. It listed for about $700. when i bought it and you can now find them for less than $400. I know several people who have what I recommended (my younger brother is one) and are very happy with it, especially for what it costs. I looked at the Actron (just curiousity) when researchibg and it didn't always have the best reviews. I know a lot of parts stores sell 'em, but those parts stores also sell Sea Foam. Nuff said???
In Ca. Autozone has long since quit code reading. Must have gotten burned. For a while they'd take your license and give you the reader to go read and come back in and they'd print it out for you. Not sure they do that any more.
Yea, my wife's '02 Camry (now our grandson's) was 8 years old when he and I made the trip to Al. with it. I seldom (only twice) have bought an extended warranty but did on that car because of being the 1st year on a totally new car (engine even). In that 8 years it never hiccuped, not even once! Sure didn't need the scanner on it!
I suggest either one of the readers I listed, but even the cheapest one is totally adaquate.