RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Can I use different antenna in my RX

Old 03-03-12, 10:37 AM
Gomer1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I use different antenna in my RX

Hello all, I've replaced a few masts and now i'm needing a motor, second one, plus the power plug is rusted and will need to be replaced as well, no clue where i would even find that part. Tired of it. Is there a fixed antenna mast or stubby antenna that will fit nicely in the RX and will provide good radio reception?

Search only showed results for replacement of OEM antenna

-TIA
Old 03-03-12, 11:06 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...a-upgrade.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...0-antenna.html
Old 03-03-12, 12:29 PM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm not seeing the pictures for that second site.
Old 01-03-15, 07:35 PM
jgoorn
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

OK guys time for me to DO something. Today my antenna mast basically failed when I was using the car. I managed to take it out and fix the faulty antenna but then I broke the nylon teeth rope. So I had it. My motor is working perfectly and all I need is an antenna mast but I realized now is the chance for me to justify gutting my car to do something that I've wanted to do. A hidden antenna! So in the coming days I will post WITH pictures how to do a clean and hidden antenna mod!
Old 01-05-15, 12:37 PM
popeyerx
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will look forward to the hidden antenna install write up.

Mine too is stuck halfway, I do like the hidden antenna option better than the replacing the old mast option.
Old 01-21-15, 04:07 PM
jgoorn
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, sadly I wasn't feeling too well and did it without pictures. Basically you follow the guide for the power antenna motor and then disconnect the antenna plug from the back of that (closer to the rear of the car) then disconnect the power cable that goes into the motor and plug in your antenna. I used the HARLEY antenna and mounted it to the rear glass.

Quick tips. Removing the carpet is a PITA. you have to pull on the plastic behind the rear passenger seat and be wary of hidden clips in the carpet by the rear passenger seat one behind the plastic panel and one by the hinged trunk. The plastic panel that goes on top of the carpet above the wheel well on the right cut the tab closest to the outside and rear of the car and run your wire through the hole and then push it back into place (not terribly noticeable that it doesn't sit level without really touching it). Thats it. Super cheap and better than replacing my antenna mast. Also now you've got a power motor in the car that is useless. I left mine in but if you are up to it remove it (disconnecting the power wire and the antenna wire and the drain tubes and sell it). Best of luck the worst part was the removal. I did this all by myself and it sucked not having help. It was a fair amount of labor depending on where you work. Thankfully I was able to move all the removed parts inside with some ease. Take care of your carpets too Best of luck I'll post a completed pic soon. Inside and outside.
Old 09-13-17, 11:19 AM
CaltonB
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this is an old post but have they found a suitable stubby replacement for the antenna mast? Surely the rc car antenna isn't necessary anymore. I've read the retrofits and they all sound great but is there something I can just screw into the existing antenna slot that doesn't extend and retract.
Old 05-18-19, 09:01 AM
Hookedongo
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jgoorn
Ok, sadly I wasn't feeling too well and did it without pictures. Basically you follow the guide for the power antenna motor and then disconnect the antenna plug from the back of that (closer to the rear of the car) then disconnect the power cable that goes into the motor and plug in your antenna. I used the HARLEY antenna and mounted it to the rear glass.

Quick tips. Removing the carpet is a PITA. you have to pull on the plastic behind the rear passenger seat and be wary of hidden clips in the carpet by the rear passenger seat one behind the plastic panel and one by the hinged trunk. The plastic panel that goes on top of the carpet above the wheel well on the right cut the tab closest to the outside and rear of the car and run your wire through the hole and then push it back into place (not terribly noticeable that it doesn't sit level without really touching it). Thats it. Super cheap and better than replacing my antenna mast. Also now you've got a power motor in the car that is useless. I left mine in but if you are up to it remove it (disconnecting the power wire and the antenna wire and the drain tubes and sell it). Best of luck the worst part was the removal. I did this all by myself and it sucked not having help. It was a fair amount of labor depending on where you work. Thankfully I was able to move all the removed parts inside with some ease. Take care of your carpets too Best of luck I'll post a completed pic soon. Inside and outside.
I realize it is a few years after you made this post. But help! I am a 75 yr old non mechanic female who went through a car wash and was told by the attendant to turn off my radio as he tapped on the window to roll it down to tell me while the wash water came flying in! Not good, too late! The car wash was a bonus for having my oil changed! Nothing for free anymore, right?
Well the antenna broke, he decided to fix it, ordered the $13 antenna, told me he could do it because he puts engines in car, really?, but when he tried, he could not make it work, he messed up the new cord, and is ordering another one. Do I want to "run, Jane run", get another code from Ebay, take to a repair shop, or is it easy to put the little rubber thing up there (mask, I guess) which I guess goes in the same place, don't know! Don't listen to the radio anyway but keep my little SC is beautiful condition. Pandora does not seem to be bothered by it and just keep on truckin without the antenna.
Old 05-19-19, 02:15 PM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by Hookedongo
I realize it is a few years after you made this post. But help! I am a 75 yr old non mechanic female who went through a car wash and was told by the attendant to turn off my radio as he tapped on the window to roll it down to tell me while the wash water came flying in! Not good, too late! The car wash was a bonus for having my oil changed! Nothing for free anymore, right?
Well the antenna broke, he decided to fix it, ordered the $13 antenna, told me he could do it because he puts engines in car, really?, but when he tried, he could not make it work, he messed up the new cord, and is ordering another one. Do I want to "run, Jane run", get another code from Ebay, take to a repair shop, or is it easy to put the little rubber thing up there (mask, I guess) which I guess goes in the same place, don't know! Don't listen to the radio anyway but keep my little SC is beautiful condition. Pandora does not seem to be bothered by it and just keep on truckin without the antenna.

SC or RX? If it is SC, I can move it to the right forum.

Salim