RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Can cleaning Idle control valve cause idling rpms to rise above 2000 rpm?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-12, 07:25 PM
bwilmoth
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can cleaning Idle control valve cause idling rpms to rise above 2000 rpm?

I cleaned the IACV while still attached to the throttle body with seafoam cleaner.
Changed the fuel filter also.

Now the my 1999 rx300 starts fine and but idles way to high.

When I started cleaning the IACV the **** would turn with alot of pressure applied. After cleaning the **** would turn with light pressure. From other posts I have read the **** turns freely. Is it time for a new IACV or can it be saved with a better cleaning?
Anyone had a similar experience or advice?

Thanks

Brian
Old 01-23-12, 11:36 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

it should turn with minimal effort and with no binding (partial turn only). It has been a while ... hopefully some one confirm that thee is a gasket in between. As soon as some one confirms, verify yours as you might have dropped it. I used carb cleaner.

Salim
Old 01-23-12, 11:59 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My PERSONAL recommendation is to take it OFF to clean it to do it right. Also, I personally don't use Sea Foam on anything, much less an IACV. It is a little more work to take it off, but then you KNOW it's cleaned right, not possible with it on the car. (may or may not be)
I would use carb cleaner and once cleaned completely (gets GUMMED up with intake junk, possibly crankcase vapors, not sure) and it should turn (doesn't turn very far) FREELY. Once it turns FREELY, if it doesn't work properly then, it's probably bad. I believe you should be able to remove the 2 screws you removed to try and turn it and actually be able to turn it by hand and change your idle, while running, because it should be sealed off from the actual passageway that controls the vacuum. That should tell you if it is turning free enough to be turned by the little 2 way magnet in the bakalite housing. You realize that there is a LITTLE adjustment on the 2 screws that hold that bakalite housing.

In response to what Salim said, there is a gasket, but it seals the water passage where you take the complete IACV off, and its actually a rubber ring that sits in a groove. I reused mine and had no problems with leak. There is a small spring washer in the bakalite housing I believe and people often drop that without even knowing it's there. DO NOT get carb cleaner on the little rubber gasket or it will swell way up and you won't be able to get it back in the groove!

Last edited by code58; 01-24-12 at 12:07 AM.
Old 01-24-12, 06:07 AM
bwilmoth
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Thanks for the insight guys. I will clean it again with carb cleaner and see what happens. I was kind of thinking that the Seafoam cleaning I used had a slick residue to it and might be causing problems with the magnet. I had read other posts were people had used it and it cost more so I was thinking it had to be better. Thats ten bucks I'll never get back.

Yes I did drop the black ring gasket a couple of times but some how found it. I saw the metal ring also i will double check that it did not get knocked off when I was cleaning.

Thanks
Old 01-25-12, 12:14 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Ever hear of "snake oil"? Well, Sea Foam is modern day snake oil. Ask anyone who knows oil industry chemistry. Don't ask the guys at Autozone who probably sold it to you. If you do, also ask whether they went to high school or not. That stuff is JUNK. I have cleaned IACV's and there is absolutely NO reason it should not be totally free if cleaned properly. As I stated, you should be able to test the idle by hand with the bakalite piece off, just leave the plug in the bakalite piece. Either that or just take the 2 screws out so that you can turn it around farther with the bakalite piece still in place.