RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

115K Service Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-12, 05:11 PM
BlackRX300
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 115K Service Advice Needed

I'm tired of searching, but have found a lot of very good info.

I have a 2001 Lexus RX300 SilverSport with 115k miles on her. I have not had the 90k service done, but have maintained oil, tires, brakes, etc.

I need a list of what I need to have done at 115k.
I do know the timing belt, water pump, drive belts, coolant flush and tranny flush should be done. Also thinking of having the spark plugs replaced since I'm so close to 120k. I will do the oil change and filter and air filter also brakes if needed.

What other recommendations?
Thanks in advance for the help and support.
Old 01-10-12, 05:48 PM
amblyn
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackRX300

I have a 2001 Lexus RX300 SilverSport with 115k miles on her. I have not had the 90k service done, but have maintained oil, tires, brakes, etc.

I do know the timing belt, water pump, drive belts, coolant flush and tranny flush should be done. Also thinking of having the spark plugs replaced since I'm so close to 120k. I will do the oil change and filter and air filter also brakes if needed.

well think you covered it all. id say add changing the differential, transfer case fluids. not sure if you have awd or not.

while your changing water pump its a good time to check oil seal in there and change pulleys and tensioner while you have that part of engine off save you labor cost in future.

i would say go ahead and get spark plugs out of the way wont hurt

im no professional just passing on what ive learned along my rx experience hope i helped
Old 01-10-12, 08:40 PM
BlackRX300
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks amblyn,

My RX is a 2-wheel drive.

I'll add the pulleys and tensioner to my list along with the plugs.
Old 01-11-12, 03:39 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

If you haven't changed the brake fluid, do that. It's one of the most neglected fluids on a vehicle. Same goes for the power steering fluid.
Old 01-15-12, 06:18 AM
kford1040
Driver School Candidate

I bought my 2000 RX 300 used with 89K on it and didn't know it had that major tune-up at 90k.

Since a timing belt replacement from a non-dealer came back to haunt me on my 92 Prelude a few years earlier I decided that I was letting a dealer do the work at 110K.

I'm in the DC metro so this had to be the most expensive 'tune-up' I ever had at $1100. but I will say they replaced every gasket, belt and fluid there was on/in the car. And when I left they said 'guaranteed for a year.' No mileage limits. That shocked me as much as anything.

That said if you don't have the manual you can go to lexus and input your VIN and if you arent the original owner any work on the car done at the dealer will show up (that was a bonus for me).
But you can also get the maintenance schedule for your car. I tried to do it but it's a flash file and I can't copy paste.
But here's the link to the site, which you can register/login
https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...-lexus/home.do
I don't know how long it takes to update your VIN and maintenance repair records but when I logged back in I was quite happy to discover that there was updated records showing work done just before I bought it that I didn't know.

Best of luck on your endeavor ...
Kimberly
Old 01-15-12, 03:01 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Kimberly is right, although I had an interesting experience with Lexus's service log on my wife's GX. I changed her plugs (WAY easier than the back three on the RX) and entered it on the Lexus site. When she went in for service, they changed them again (!). Just keep in mind the dealer may not pay any attention to the service log....
Old 01-15-12, 08:53 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackRX300

Everything is good except tranny flush, do not do a flush, do a drain, replace filter, and fill only....We do not believe in flushes on high mileage RX....It disturbs contaminants and could deposit them in the valve body and you will be looking at a tranny failure.
Old 01-16-12, 04:13 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by thomas1
Everything is good except tranny flush, do not do a flush, do a drain, replace filter, and fill only....We do not believe in flushes on high mileage RX....It disturbs contaminants and could deposit them in the valve body and you will be looking at a tranny failure.
X2, only drain and fill.
Old 01-16-12, 04:21 AM
kford1040
Driver School Candidate

OMG I woud have been so mad and not paid for the prices they charge!!! ... hope they made some kind of deal with you.

I wish I had known sooner about entering information since I can be a bit unorganized at times. For me it's perfect in that it's all in one place.

Glad you reminded (me) that feature was there and to let any dealer know to check.