RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

What fluids are important to be changed?

Old 01-11-12, 05:53 PM
NyCrAzY
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What fluids are important to be changed?

Still learning a lot about my RX300.

Got it over the summer (July) @ 173k miles. Now it just hit 177k miles.

Fluids/maintenance that has been done -
  • Transmission drain and fill @ 176k miles.
  • Oil change done today @ valvoline using http://valvoline.com/products/consum...ge-motor-oil/2
  • coolant/antifreeze flush
  • rear differential fluid (mechanic took awhile to do it because he said the thing was very tight since it was never done)

Only thing I'm being recommended is the cabin air filter. It's really dirty. Is it a big priority to get it changed?

Question:

How important are the differential fluids and what do they exactly do? Since it's an AWD, I hear I have 3 of them. My mechanic just suggested my rear, which I got done. But what about the front? I'm pretty sure it was never changed unless I'm wrong.

Is there any other fluid changes I might be possibly missing? Thanks.
Old 01-11-12, 06:05 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

You should replace the cabin air filter, you can do it yourself it should only take 5 minutes, and it's a pretty cheap filter. <$20

The front differential shares the same ATF as the transmission, when the drain and fill was done the mechanic should have loosened two bolts one on the transmission pan, and the other one behind it which is from the differential. You should get the transfer case gear oil changed, it takes gear oil just like the rear differential. Differential fluids, are important to make sure the gears are well lubricated, and they can help smoothen the shifts, usually the 3rd to 4th shift.

Has the brake fluid been changed? How about the Power Steering Fluid?
Old 01-11-12, 06:16 PM
NyCrAzY
Driver

Originally Posted by hypervish
You should replace the cabin air filter, you can do it yourself it should only take 5 minutes, and it's a pretty cheap filter. <$20

The front differential shares the same ATF as the transmission, when the drain and fill was done the mechanic should have loosened two bolts one on the transmission pan, and the other one behind it which is from the differential. You should get the transfer case gear oil changed, it takes gear oil just like the rear differential. Differential fluids, are important to make sure the gears are well lubricated, and they can help smoothen the shifts, usually the 3rd to 4th shift.

Has the brake fluid been changed? How about the Power Steering Fluid?
Oh, that makes sense now (regarding the front differential fluid).

I never got the transfer case gear oil changed yet, so I'll highly consider that.

Regarding the brake and power steering fluid, I never got it changed. I know for a fact that they fill up my power steering fluid in a oil change, but how can I tell if it's bad or not? My steering wheel does make a squeaking noise sometimes, I don't know why is that.

I should get the brake fluids done too, since I don't know when the past owner has done it. Is it normal that I have to put a lot of pressure on my brakes to make the car stop? Or maybe I'm just spoiled with my dads Nissan Murano where if I lightly tap the brake, it stops.
Old 01-11-12, 06:20 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

The noise from the steering wheel, could be coming from near the firewall. Look at where the steering shaft goes through the firewall, and lubricate it. The noise should subside. < you can search the forum, for more information on this.

I don't need to put excessive pressure on my brakes to stop. In fact, this car has the best brakes out of any of the vehicles I've owned. What is the condition of your brake pads?
Old 01-11-12, 06:26 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

*I would add power steering to the list, as I have heard of people saying it has improved their steering.
*And brake fluid as well because it attracts moisture that could corrode your brake lines. You don't want that, so go ahead and have a brake system flush. Do it somewhere you trust because they will have to hook it up to a machine that controls the ABS module to get all the fluid pumped out.
*Your cabin filter has to be one of the easiest cabin filter changed ever. So go ahead and swap that out. Changing mine, and cleaning out the interior of the car, eliminated the smoke smell my grandfather left in the car... :|

again on most recent post:
My brakes do require that as well. Maybe I could use the flush too... But I too have driven a newer Murano and have felt the same thing going back to my car.
And yes that sometimes squeak from the steering could be the rubber boot thing that connects the steering column to the engine compartment. It just needs a little oil or some sort of lubrication. I notice it when I turn the wheel faster than normal.

Last edited by 99rx; 01-11-12 at 06:29 PM. Reason: again saw your most recent post
Old 01-11-12, 06:31 PM
NyCrAzY
Driver

@hypervish brake pads in the front two wheels are new. I should probably get the ones in the back checked out. Only reason I replaced the front two is because I failed inspection because of them.

@99rx I have a friend who works at Merchants tire and he said he'll do any fluids for free whenever his store manager is off. So I'll definitely get the transfer case fluid, power steering done. I don't know if they do brake fluids, but I'll ask.

I'll find the DIY and change the cabin air filter myself then ... those shops rip you off quoting me @ $49.99 ... crazy!
Old 01-11-12, 06:33 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by NyCrAzY
@hypervish brake pads in the front two wheels are new. I should probably get the ones in the back checked out. Only reason I replaced the front two is because I failed inspection because of them.

@99rx I have a friend who works at Merchants tire and he said he'll do any fluids for free whenever his store manager is off. So I'll definitely get the transfer case fluid, power steering done. I don't know if they do brake fluids, but I'll ask.

I'll find the DIY and change the cabin air filter myself then ... those shops rip you off quoting me @ $49.99 ... crazy!
I'm not sure if there is a DIY on replacing the Cabin filter, if not let me know and I'll have no problem going out and snapping a couple pictures for you. The filter itself should only cost, like mentioned above, >$20. Look on amazon. I have found great prices for it on there.