RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

car stopped responding to keyless fob, where is the "receiver" located?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-11, 05:13 PM
rodrigo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car stopped responding to keyless fob, where is the "receiver" located?

Hi guys, here's the deal, my 99 RX decided to stop responding to the remote keyfob. None of the keys work at all, lock, unlock, panic, nothing.

can anyone tell me where the receiver is and if they have had any issues with it? I have been reading the posts and couldn't find any info except for the location of the fuses, which I've confirmed are not an issue.

A little more background info, the car ALWAYS had some issues with BOTH keys, randomly not responding or responding after SEVERAL attempts. Now, I bought the car used 5 years ago, it's quite possible that the battery in the keyfob is the culprit, in which case I'll return and confirm that I jumped the shark, but I like the "preemptive strike" approach if I need to get to the receiver, wherever it is.

thanks in advance
Old 12-09-11, 05:44 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

If the led in the key lights up then the battery is fine.

Also keep in mind, the receiver in RX has a built in shut down mode, if it gets a signal from another remote key (same carrier frequency but different security code) it shutdown and you need to use the key to physically to unlock/lock.

Salim
Old 12-09-11, 07:50 PM
rodrigo
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the reply Salim, I thought so, (about light blinking = good battery)... so that leaves me with the problem unresolved. Like anybody else I've been in parking lots where lots of other similar cars are parked. But the thing hasn't worked for weeks now.... So does anyone know where the receiver is located?
Old 12-09-11, 07:53 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Have you tried disconnecting the battery? It's possible it's just a quirk, and a quick reset will get you on your way.
Old 12-09-11, 08:18 PM
rodrigo
Driver School Candidate

I hadn't thought of that, it's been a while since I reset the car... damn modern things, all have to be reset at some point, lol... I'll try that....
Old 12-10-11, 10:26 AM
rodrigo
Driver School Candidate

no go. Disconnected the car battery, verified that the battery in the keyfob is good, reconnected the car battery, still completely unresponsive. Any other ideas from you guys please?
Old 12-10-11, 11:07 AM
salimshah

Best way to describe the location of the receiver is ,,,, near the gas filler pipe.

I really dont know what good it will do to know the location of the receiver, but you asked so here is the answer.

Here are few extra things you need to check before ripping down the rear interior panels.

1. Does the security light blink when you lock your vehicle.

2. Set the dome light to "ON" when you OPEN the door. Does it turn off when you close the door after appropriate delay?

diagnostic:
Insert key and pull it out.
within 5 sec
then insert key and switch from OFF ON and OFF (first time)

then within 30sec
turn ON OFF ... repeat for 9 more times.
write out and you will turn ON 10 times.

You should get a short and long beep.

Press each remote button and you should get 3 beeps for lock, 4 beeps with longer mid interval for unlock, 2 long beeps for Panic and one long beep for wrong (not registered key) reception.

The test above confirms the proper working, but it deos not do much to determine what is wrong. You will need another RX remote key to hear a long beep .. this confirms the receiver is working and if you hear NOBeeP then the receiver is not not working.

Good luck

Salim
Old 12-10-11, 12:47 PM
rodrigo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
Best way to describe the location of the receiver is ,,,, near the gas filler pipe.

thanks, I really don't want to "start ripping panels down" but if everything else fails I have to fault the receiver

I really dont know what good it will do to know the location of the receiver, but you asked so here is the answer.

Here are few extra things you need to check before ripping down the rear interior panels.

1. Does the security light blink when you lock your vehicle. yes

2. Set the dome light to "ON" when you OPEN the door. Does it turn off when you close the door after appropriate delay? yes

diagnostic:
Insert key and pull it out.
within 5 sec
then insert key and switch from OFF ON and OFF (first time)

I've tried looking for this info myself, thanks for posting it.
Question though: does it matter if the door remains open/closed/locked/unlocked while I do this?

then within 30sec

turn ON OFF ... repeat for 9 more times. so, wait 30 secs from the first step, then start turning the key to the on and then off position. got it

write out and you will turn ON 10 times.

can you clarify this last one? I really don't get it. What I understand here is that at the last moment it should go back to the OFF position, especially because the next steps involve pushing buttons, I assume I'll need the key to be OUT of the ignition to do so

You should get a short and long beep.

Press each remote button and you should get 3 beeps for lock, 4 beeps with longer mid interval for unlock, 2 long beeps for Panic and one long beep for wrong (not registered key) reception.

The test above confirms the proper working, but it deos not do much to determine what is wrong. You will need another RX remote key to hear a long beep .. this confirms the receiver is working and if you hear NOBeeP then the receiver is not not working.

Good luck

Salim
Thanks Salim, I asked a few questions there becuse the steps were not too clear for me
Old 12-10-11, 05:42 PM
salimshah

Use the valet key or the other key and keep it in the ignition.

Salim
Old 01-29-12, 01:33 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

I'm having the same exact issue. Did you ever find the problem?
Old 02-04-12, 07:36 AM
rodrigo
Driver School Candidate

update, but without good news. I don't know what the problem is, but from what I've read here and on other sites it comes down to 2 things: 1. the transceiver has lost the programming to my key. If that's the case I know it can be reprogrammed, however I can't seem to do it according to the instructions I found, I might have to go to a dealer to get it done. 2. he transceiver in the car is toast. If that's the case, I don't even know where it is located, and wheter it's replaceable. fixable, or if I'm SOL.
Let me know if any of you have any more info about this...

@ Salim: I don't have the other key or the valey key any longer, but thanks for keeping up with yhour suggestions. When and if I get this fixed I'll be sure to post back to give back to the community here
Old 02-05-12, 08:07 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Rodrigo: Did you follow the steps posted by Salimshah?
Old 02-12-12, 11:14 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

I found out what was causing my key fob to not respond. Hopefully, your problem is as simple as mine. I'll just copy and paste what I wrote in the other thread...

The problem was with the rear hatch, the lock cylinder on the back hatch was frozen. Yesterday, I went to open the hatch and realized that it wasn't locking and when I inserted the key, the lock cylinder wouldn't move. So, I figured the system wasn't letting the RX arm itself because the rear hatch wasn't locking. I sprayed some silicon spray inside of the key hole, and then sprayed a little on the key tip. And, then very gently inserted the key, and pulled it out and put more spray and then tried pushing the key in again. After, doing this a few times, the key cylinder became unfrozen and freely returned to the center.

At this point, I was pleased because this meant I could lock my rear hatch. But, then I thought to myself this is probably why the keyless system isn't working. So, i pressed the lock button on my remote, and what do you know... It's *****in' works! hahah < sorry for the language I'm quite happy, I don't have to pay the stealership to fix my problem..haha
Old 03-06-12, 02:02 PM
JERKRICE
Rookie

i will remember these steps if i run into this jam

thanks
Old 08-13-12, 10:06 AM
Pughnitive
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Hey all, I have a similar problem with my 99 RX AWD. I may need to replace the device that picks up the keyfob wireless information. Is this the 'receiver', 'transceiver', 'some other name'....sorry I don't know what to call the pieces I'm talking about.

A tad bit of history. I gave my car to my cousin for a couple years when I moved to NYC (not much need for a car here). I just got it back from him since he needed minivan for the kids. I picked it up and all he had left to give me was the valet key! I gave him two masters, the valet (sub-key) and the wallet key....Needless to say I'm kinda upset about not getting the car back how I gave it to him. Anyway, with a ton of research on CL and hours and hours of reading I've gone through all the steps I'm able to find to generate new working master keys. (Many thanks to everyone on here. You're all friggin amazing!)

The reason I'm thinking I need to replace the keyfob's receiver inside the car is because I've gone through all the steps that I've found on CL to make it work otherwise. I had a locksmith here pull out the ECU and flash it. I bought two brand new keys with electronics for under $80 each on ebay. We were able to get new masters working to start the car, but not wirelessly lock/unlock the doors with the remote key. I've gone though all the programming steps way too many times. I get the car into program mode where it locks and unlocks all doors at me. I hit the keyfob and nothing.

I just did the things salimshah said to do and I'm all good there except when i press the keyfob's keys I get no return response from the car. No long tone, no nothin. The new keys are definitely not being read. Anyone know where I can start to replace whatever elements are need for the remote keys to be read by the car? I'm lost. As of right now all I know is that the receiver is near the gas filler pipe. I could use a bit more detail here.

Thanks!

Oh, this is probably useful info as well. My cousin said some guy drove off the road and hit my car (while it was parked in a lot) on the driver's side somewhere. He wasnt clear to where exactly it happened, but it sounded like it was hit between the doors. He said everything was fixed and taken care of by the other guy's insurance, but maybe there's a wire disconnected of the receiver is busted now or something that I'm unaware of.

Quick Reply: car stopped responding to keyless fob, where is the "receiver" located?