RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Cracked key shell casing - help needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-11, 03:22 AM
Stemmer
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cracked key shell casing - help needed

The original fob key shell for my '99 RX has separated, I have the key. Currently I am using the back up valet key but obviously I want this fixed. What is the best way? Dealer? Here is a company I found through an internet search - sounds like $15 for the shell and $30 for key shell cutting (which I don't really understand but assume it's to fit the key in the casing)http://www.autotransponder.com/1999_...key_shell_case

Anyone have this issue before? Any advice? Thank you in advance.
Old 11-29-11, 03:46 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

You can also go on ebay and find the same thing for around $30... dealer is going to be really expensive, as they can only sell the entire key, cut it, then program your car for it...

the metal part of your key is part of the shell and not really removable, so you have to get the new key cut to fit your vehicle... internet places can do this by you sending good photos of the key, or, you can buy the uncut shell and take it to someone locally to have cut... then, of course, transfer the electronics from your key to the new shell and you are good to go...
Old 11-29-11, 03:54 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

A couple of weeks back, I found an uncut key on ebay, $5.99, shipped.

Dealer cut it for $20 + tax. No locksmith even remotely close could cut it. Figures.

Painful, but better than a key falling apart in your pocket.

The new key's case is 'beefier', too, though it doesn't have 7 years of wearing against other keys in my pocket, yet.
Old 11-29-11, 02:17 PM
saudiboy
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I glued mine back together with gorilla glue. It's holding up great.
Old 11-30-11, 04:20 AM
Stemmer
Driver

Originally Posted by saudiboy
Wow! As I'm an idiot and am not fully following the other good suggestions or how this whole process works with key cutting and programming I will try this first. Thanks to all for your time and thoughts.
Old 12-03-11, 09:08 PM
amblyn
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stemmer
Wow! As I'm an idiot and am not fully following the other good suggestions or how this whole process works with key cutting and programming I will try this first. Thanks to all for your time and thoughts.
what do you plan on doing when battery dies?? i gorilla glued blade to plastic taped front and back together lasted 3 days so i resorted to good ol duct tape ugly yes key falling apart no dealer wants 150 i asked why cant i just have 2 peices of plastic. he told me because you can't
Old 12-04-11, 06:15 PM
saudiboy
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by amblyn
what do you plan on doing when battery dies?? i gorilla glued blade to plastic taped front and back together lasted 3 days so i resorted to good ol duct tape ugly yes key falling apart no dealer wants 150 i asked why cant i just have 2 peices of plastic. he told me because you can't
I've never changed my battery in the last 10 years. If I have to, I'll break it open and glue it back together again.
Old 12-05-11, 03:50 AM
Stemmer
Driver

Well I used Krazy Glue instead and it worked. I replaced the battery last year so I should be good. Now if I could just figure out why the damn rear brake light indicator is back on a few months after replacing the high rear tail lamp bulb, I'd be good. Of course if that's my biggest problem at 13.5 years and 203k I'm doing pretty well.
Old 12-05-11, 07:41 AM
DrDan
Rookie

Default Broken key plastic

I had the broken key problem and went to ikeyless.com . I sent an e-mail with a question and got an immediate response. When I called a few minutes later I talked to the same person. Within a few more minutes, I had my new key on the way. The local Lexus dealer cut the key for something like $12.00. Done deal.

I don't remember the actual cost of the blank, but it was very reasonable compared to the alternatives.

DrDan
Old 09-11-12, 03:24 PM
garne2t
Driver School Candidate

Default Rekey

Our local Lexus dealer charges $30 to rekey if you bring in a blank key.
http://www.lexusstevenscreek.com/AboutServiceAndParts
Old 09-11-12, 07:08 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

I used epoxy on mine. It's fine.
Old 09-20-12, 12:40 PM
JJ00rx300
Driver School Candidate

Default stemmer

Its probably your side light. Looks like a reflector but it has a bulb in it. I had the same problem.

And my key is still cracked also, just used clear tape. Ghetto but works
Old 09-20-12, 02:35 PM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

I would suggest some glue which remains soft at it forms.

The most precious part is the electronic module. Make sure it does not get glued in place OR falls off and gets lost.

Salim
Old 09-20-12, 06:59 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

I took the module out before epoxying the broken parts of the case. I used tape to create a form to isolate the epoxy to where I wanted it. In the end the epoxy seems as hard as the key casing.

I had to shave the epoxy a bit when it was hardened to remove any high spots before I could put the module back and reassembled the repaired casing.
Old 09-21-12, 07:06 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by saudiboy

Until you need to replace the battery.

Quick Reply: Cracked key shell casing - help needed