RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Air-mix servo motor keeps getting stuck at cold air

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-11, 02:07 AM
trips1
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Air-mix servo motor keeps getting stuck at cold air

The servo motor issue has been discussed number of times and i am sorry for starting a new thread. I am running into weird issue that my air mix servo motor pulley gets stuck at cold air.
I have opened everything twice and also lubricated the system with white silicon grease.
It works for only a week or so. If i don't use the heat for a week and then try to turn the **** to heat i find that is stuck at cold air again.

So wanted to get some advice from all the experts here on what i can do to avoid this.
Any specific grease or lubricant that i should use? Or it is related to something internal in the servo motor
Also using a picture from another thread to highlight what gets stuck.
Please note that i have 115K miles
Attached Thumbnails Air-mix servo motor keeps getting stuck at cold air-1.jpg   Air-mix servo motor keeps getting stuck at cold air-2.jpg  
Old 09-26-11, 12:40 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Trips, I realize that is not a picture of yours but something is DEFINITELY wrong with that arm. It is very ****-eyed (twisted), not supposed to be that way. The problem (with yours) is the brushes are worn out in the little Mattel tinker toy motor. I have had the motors apart (at least a couple of them) and when the brushes are worn out, the motor doesn't have the power to "get over the hump". There is an over-center spring that holds it to whichever side it has been selected to and when the motor is like a 90 year old man (accurate analogy) it simply isn't able to push against the resistance of that spring. The door is easy to move, it would have enough power to do that, but not enough to overcome the spring pressure. Since you have already done the "clean and lube", there's not much left to do. This has been discussed quite a bit and there is a SMALL possibility that you can aquire the new motor (NOT from T/L) on E-bay or online source and change the gear from your motor and not have to replace a VERY OVERPRICED blend door actuator. There is a VERY good post with very good explanation on this forum or LOC concerning replaceing the original motor in a door lock actuator. They would be very similar except you don't have to cut this apart like you do the door lock actuator. There is also information on where to get the motor and the tools to change the gear. Good Luck!

P.S. IF you really need to switch between the 2, come back and I'll give you a way to do it without too much trouble as a temporary measure until you resolve what way to go on a permanent fix.

I may have asked you this before, but where are you in Ca.?

Last edited by code58; 09-26-11 at 12:44 AM.