RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

What would a good headlight replacement be for my 1999 RX300?

Old 09-20-11, 08:51 PM
NyCrAzY
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would a good headlight replacement be for my 1999 RX300?

I love HID headlights (because my dads Murano has it),and whats the price range of them?

But what would a good alternative be? I have the stock headlights but I can't see that far with it while driving at night time. What would a good bulb be?

Thanks.

Also, I'm a noob about cars. What do I exactly need to change headlights? Just the bulbs? Kits? thanks for the input guys.

kind regards.

Last edited by NyCrAzY; 09-20-11 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-21-11, 09:54 PM
JZS147btr
Driver School Candidate

First off, the halogens you currently have in your RX are probably old. Halogens dim over time so just putting a new set of Halogens will make it brighter.

Secondly, HID "kits" then not to give you good light output due to the reflector in your headlight being optimized for Halogen bulbs, not HID bulbs. HID and Halogen have their "hot spots" located in different places so the design of the reflector and housing must be specific to the type of bulb you're using. When you mismatch the setup, you end up just scattering the light so you don't get a good light pattern. The HID's will look "bright" when you look directly into the headlight but it won't actually put out a good, useable beam for driving purposes because the reflector/housing isn't focusing the light correctly. HID "kits" come with a set of bulbs, ballast and some wiring. They're easy to install but I would NOT recommend them due to their poor performance. They will perform NOTHING like your Dad's Murano, I guarantee it.

With all that in mind, I'd recommend you buy some "HIR" bulbs (HIR = Halogen Infrared Reflecting). These are specially designed Halogen bulbs (read more about them in the website link below). "HIR" bulbs put out SUBSTANTIALLY more light ("lumens") than a standard Halogen bulb without cheap tricks like over wattage or tints that give the mere appearance of brighter lights.

I installed a set of "HIR" bulbs in my high beams (I have factory HID's in my car) and they are VERY bright and the light pattern is PERFECT due to the fact that "HIR" bulbs have the same "hot spot" location as a standard set of Halogens. These HIR bulbs are a straight swap (no ballast, wiring, etc.). Here's a LINK to some instructions...you really only need the first three instruction "blocks" in that link as that's directly related to removing and unplugging the bulb.

So what I would recommend is to buy a set of TOSHIBA "HIR2" bulbs (HIR2 = 9006) for your low beams and you can get a set of "HIR1" (9005) for your high beams if you want. They're only $24.55 each. I bought mine from THIS WEBSITE.

I have no relationship with this company, I'm just a customer. There's also some more info on the website. When you get the bulbs, you'll just have to trim a portion of one of the plastic tabs on each bulb. No more than 5 mins. of work. Here's the LINK to the instructions.

Last edited by JZS147btr; 09-22-11 at 12:02 AM.
Old 09-21-11, 10:08 PM
is350memb
Driver

i would be a replacement halogen light. i have HID lights and i dont really like it. it is too bright and kinda white. I like my headlight to be a little yellowie!!! i know it is weird because people like bright white light. I thought white lights are difficult to see but yellow lights are perfect and you can see almost everything in front of you. Besides, too many bright white lights on the road already! it annoyed the heck out of me.
Old 09-21-11, 10:23 PM
JZS147btr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by is350memb
i would be a replacement halogen light. i have HID lights and i dont really like it. it is too bright and kinda white. I like my headlight to be a little yellowie!!!
Hmm, I've never heard someone complaining about a light being too bright or too white. That aside, you can probably find a lower Kelvin HID replacement bulb which will shift the color more towards yellow. I'm assuming you have a factory HID setup which should be about 4500K...if you could find a 3200-3800K HID bulb (I think the IS350 uses a D4S bulb), that would give you a color closer to normal Halogens. Another option would be to tint your headlight housing with a light yellow tint. Personally, I have the brightest HID bulbs you can buy (for a D2R style bulb) and I don't find it "too bright". Do you drive on reflective white asphalt or something?
Old 09-22-11, 12:45 AM
is350memb
Driver

Originally Posted by JZS147btr
Hmm, I've never heard someone complaining about a light being too bright or too white. That aside, you can probably find a lower Kelvin HID replacement bulb which will shift the color more towards yellow. I'm assuming you have a factory HID setup which should be about 4500K...if you could find a 3200-3800K HID bulb (I think the IS350 uses a D4S bulb), that would give you a color closer to normal Halogens. Another option would be to tint your headlight housing with a light yellow tint. Personally, I have the brightest HID bulbs you can buy (for a D2R style bulb) and I don't find it "too bright". Do you drive on reflective white asphalt or something?
thanks man. haha

no i dont drive on reflective asphalt.

i actually live in the the city where street lights are pretty bright. since my lights are white i found it very weird not seeing the lights. But if they were yellow, i can see my own light on the asphalt.

i know it is weird. all my friends thought i was joking but i really found yellow lights are better for my area but of course hid are better for dark places like the interstate 5 to vegas from socal.
Old 09-22-11, 12:59 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know lots of people hate this but,

my wifes 99 RX300 which is our winter AWD vehicle has DDM Tuning HID's. We have it aimed down to not blind people but it looks great. SUPER BRIGHT at night and in the snow conditions and doesnt glare what so ever. I understand HID headlights would give better output, but again, its our winter beater. Well worth the $62 upgrade.
Old 09-22-11, 03:16 PM
JZS147btr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by L3XOTIC
I know lots of people hate this but,

my wifes 99 RX300 which is our winter AWD vehicle has DDM Tuning HID's. We have it aimed down to not blind people but it looks great. SUPER BRIGHT at night and in the snow conditions and doesnt glare what so ever. I understand HID headlights would give better output, but again, its our winter beater. Well worth the $62 upgrade.
You should try a set of HIR's. I bet you'll forget about your DDM kit real quick. Also, bright white light is NOT optimal for snow. Yellow is actually better.
Old 09-23-11, 10:13 PM
NyCrAzY
Driver

Thanks everybody for the input!

I bought this Lexus 1999RX300 RX300 a few months ago with a 173k miles on it. Each time I drive at night, I would have a hard time seeing the road, which would require me to turn on the headlights. Could it be because the stock headlights aren't that good or they're just burning down?

I'll consider the HIR headlights. Is it just switching the bulb?

Also, I'm scared to change my own headlights because I'm still very new to cars (heck, this is my first car, a Lexus too!).

How much would mechanic shops charge to change them?

Thanks guys! Kind regards.
Old 09-23-11, 10:14 PM
NyCrAzY
Driver

I meant highbeam, not headlights**
Old 09-24-11, 06:06 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Are your headlights faded, meaning are the headlights themselves looking dull? The sun fades the headlights surface. You can try a headlight restoration kit, they're cheap at about $20 and they work awesome.

Only reason i ask that is because i find that the RX300 has more than enough light from OEM. Which is one of the reasons i haven't added HID's... yet, i might add them only due to the fact I like the color they produce, the light blue just looks sick. LOL
Old 09-26-11, 09:44 AM
JZS147btr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NyCrAzY
I'll consider the HIR headlights. Is it just switching the bulb?
Yep, it's a Halogen for Halogen straight swap.
Old 10-29-13, 04:54 AM
Nickv
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After reading this thread, I am still confused! I have a wonderful 2000 RX300 (yes, I love it) with only about 104,000 miles on it.

Mly problem is that the headlights are so dim I can't see at night. I had one complete headlight unit replaced about two years ago, due to a fender-bender. I also have used the stuff to polish the headlights, and tail lights for that matter. That helped a little but still, I want more light.

From this thread I can not tell if I can simply buy replacement bulbs (not the whole unit) that will provide more light. Are my original lights halogen lights? Regardless of the kind, what bulb can I get that will be a simple replacement and improve my lighting. OK, I am getting older and my vision is getting worse, but every one comments on how dim my headlights are. Help? I know this is an old thread, but I am hoping that some one can help me. Thanks, Nick
Old 10-29-13, 03:41 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Howdy Nick!
I am purchasing a pair of Sylvania Silverstar lamps as replacements. They are a direct replacement for the standard halogen lamps, but are far superior without the obnoxious glare of bright beams. I had them in my Pontiac Bonneville and worked very well.
Not sure of the lamp number, but that's an easy find. Autozone or even Walmart carry them.