RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

This can't be right, can it? - Towing

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-02, 03:38 PM
CoachMan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry This can't be right, can it?

I bought my 2002 Coach Edition 2WD a few months ago and have been very happy with it. I did not buy it with a tow package so I recently bought a Hidden Hitch and installed it along with the wiring harness adapter to hook up to my trailer. I installed the 20 amp fuse under the hood where it says "towing" and thought I was good to go!

WRONG! There is no power coming out of the factory towing harness. I know the fuse is good and I checked the trailer lights. All checks out well. I thought there was a problem with the vehicle so my wife takes it to the dealer. They proceed to tell her that if you didn't purchase the $1200(?!) "towing package", the harness will not work. They want $500 to retrofit some sort of "brain" to allow the harness to work.

Have any of you ever heard of this before? Is this something new to the RX300 lineup? The instructions for the hitch and adapter make no mention of this, nor does the Lexus Owner's Manual. I have not heard any other owners mention this either.

I called Lexus HQ and they did confirm that this is true! This is a first for me. The service advisor at the dealership stated we should have purchased the $1200 "towing package" and that by using an aftermarket trailer hitch, we could void our warranty.

What the hell difference does it make if I use an overpriced Lexus trailer hitch or one that is well designed and manufactured by a respected name?

The gentleman at Lexus was going to contact the dealership to see if there is anything he can do to satisfy this complaint. At least, that is what he said.

Anyone run across this problem before? I am taking a trip up into the N. Ga mountains in the next 3 weeks and am not too happy about all this.
Old 09-26-02, 06:37 PM
RX300wannabeIS300
Driver School Candidate

Default $1200???

I've got a 1999 RX with a factory towing package... Didn't cost me $1200 - can't remember how much, but I'm sure it wasn't over $400 (which would also be a rip-off).

Here's my 2 cents: go back to some automotive shop, someone who knows about hitches and have them "rewire" or "modify" whatever they need. Most likely you'll need some basic adapter. My family owns a Featherlite Trailer dealership and we deal with hitches every day installing wiring and actual hitches on every kind of vehicle you can think of. I tell you right now, if you pay anything over $50-60 for getting your connections rewired you are getting screwed.

This is like my dealership (Lexus of Sacramento) - they tried to sell me the spoiler for $1100 + $100 installation :eek:. I got one for about $220 online.

Your car (or any other car for that matter) has a basic hitching wiring, which DOES NOT require $1200 "custom" package to be installed. Use common sense with them buddy - it's just a freaking hitch!
Old 09-26-02, 08:04 PM
JJ_BPK
Driver School Candidate

Coach Man

I installed a hitch and harness a couple weeks ago, do not have a trailer yet so I did not test the setup. After reading your note I tested my harness,,, no lights... Ran over to my buddies and hooked up to his trailer,, no lights. Disconnected harness and tried meter to car harness,, no power, check fuse, OK...

I am sure there is no $1200 setup fee.. At the time I purchased the car I looked for one with the trans & oil cooler option,, I think it retailed at $160,, the other option was the hitch and I think that retailed for about $350,, did not find a RX300 with the options installed. Dealer assured me that my boat, (1200 lb flats skiff) didn't need trans & oil cooler and I could get a hitch from where ever...

I would not be surprised to find that there is a disconnect in the harness somewhere under the hood... I also wonder if there could be a C-Best setting?????? I just got off the phone with my dealer, Lexus of Kendal (in Miami), Talked to my tech-rep, I have an appointment tomorrow AM. The shop tech said there is a computer hook up needed??? I will let you know in 24 hours what I find.

Here is my setup:

70777 - Hidden Hitch Class III Round Tube Receiver
18245 - DrawTite Replacement Vehicle Wiring Harness
Delivered: $142.46 from etrailer.com
Old 09-26-02, 08:50 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

I can't say for sure what the differences are between the '99 - '00 RX towing package/trailer hitch setup and the '01+ but I do know that Lexus did change the way it's done.

I spoke to a guy at my Lexus dealer when the '01's first came out and he said something about the hitch needing to be factory installed. I'm sorry I cannot provide more information than that, but that is all I know.

I had my hitched installed by the dealer in 2000 before I bought the vehicle. My sticker says "trailer towing prep package" on it.
Old 09-26-02, 10:06 PM
CoachMan
Driver School Candidate

Jimmy,

It is interesting that you say that. I bought my RX from Lexus of Kendall. However, I live in Tampa so I can't use their service dept. I bought my vehicle directly from Terry.

I also bought the same exact hitch and wiring adapter you did from etrailer.com. My guess, like yours, is that the factory harness is disconnected somewhere and it needs to be reconnected. The service advisor told my wife it is a 2 hour job and there is another harness that needs to be installed. Total price about $500. That is ridiculous.

Let me know what your tech at Kendall says.

Thanks,

Krik
Old 09-26-02, 10:31 PM
CoachMan
Driver School Candidate

JJ_BPK,

I posted on the Edmunds Town Hall and found this response waiting for me. It looks promising. Take a look and see if your tech agrees.

paul8801 wrote:

"Have you installed the converter module which mounts using the two pre-installed studs in the LHS of the cargo area and connects to the nearby pre-wired pigtail?"

He then went on to say:

"I just read your post again more carefully and maybe some more detail is in order:

I ordered the 2002 tow package kit from lexuspartsmall.com for about $430. I sent it back in the end because I found that my RX was not pre-wired as the dealer thought, but anyway I got to see what was in the kit and got to read the instructions There were three 'items" in the box. The receiver; a mounting kit (included additional brackets which bolt to the receiver on order to use an extra mounting hole on the side of the box frames - which aftermarket hitches don't seem to use) and a wiring kit.
The wiring kit contained a wiring harness - the one you probably already have-, a 20amp fuse, and a toyota brand converter module (maybe the "brain" your dealer referred to).
The instructions said to install the receiver (same as the Hidden Hitch installation but with the extra brackets). Then install the wiring harness - the flat-4 connector has a small bracket which screws to the receiver, the other end connects to a pigtail of the vehicle wiring harness inside the black plastic cover underneath the cargo area (you've probably already done this). Then, install the converter. If you hinge up the cargo area floor and remove the spare wheel cover there should be a couple of studs on the left between the storage box and the back of the seat. The converter mounts on these. Also in the same area there should be a wiring harness with a pigtail connector splitting off from it. This plugs into the converter. The instructions said to actually remove the cargo area floor and the storage box but it didn't look to me as if that should be absolutely necessary - however, I may be wrong - my RX doesn't have the studs and pigtails and I may have been off in my visualization from the sketches in the instructions. Lastly you install the fuse. The top-left-most fuse position (as you look with the fuse panel the right way up), I think - but I'm working from memory.

The wiring kit with converter you should be able to buy separately from the receiver from irontoad or lexuspartsmall (aka NorthShore Lexus in Wisconsin)for about $85. I believe the part number is 08921-48070 - but you'd better check."

I think this guy is right on the money. Let me know what you find out.

Krik
Old 09-27-02, 07:11 AM
JJ_BPK
Driver School Candidate

Krik,

I think we may have it. When you configure a hitch setup at most on the estores, besides the expected bumper harness, there is some sort of controller/box needed. Maybe the configurator from etrailer is lacking and doesn't mention the controller.

While routing around in the tyre well, I did see a gray plug on the left side, behind the seat, up where the harness is routed near the amp for the radio, looked to be about 15 pin. I though it may be use as diagnostic plug-in check point. Sounds like that's may be where the controller goes.

I have been very pleased with Lexus of Kendal so far,,, this may be the real test. I was going to ask LexRX and Paddy Wagon how you approach a dealer to see if they want to be part of the different ClubLexus group buys and/or parts discount program.

My quandary now is, do I realy want to drive up to Miami and back, 250 miles, for an $85 controller.... I'll probably go, as I want them to look at the ash-tray, it doesn't want to stay closed...

UPDATE: I just verified with the parts department that the PowerConverter PN # 08921-48070 is right, Lexus of Kendal is out of stock, and they want $106.74.

Still need to verify if that is the only part needed, besides the hitch and bumper harness. Waiting for call from the shop tech.

Last edited by JJ_BPK; 09-27-02 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-09-03, 10:30 PM
gp1200x
Rookie

I ran into the same problem with my 99 RX 300. Only there was no wiring in the back for any trailer connection....After investigating the system I determined that wiring up for a trailer requires a 3 wire to 2 wire system since the brake and turn signals are separate. An isolator should be used too just in case.

A draw-tite ModuLite setup is what is needed for this Lexus.
http://www.drawtite-hitches.com/electrical/modulite.htm
http://www.draw-tite.com/products/pr...modulite.shtml

I recommend that you use a ModuLite Protector and purchase the wiring kit. This ModuLite will be tapped into the turn signals, brake and tail light connection. It also needs a power wire from the battey to it....that is what the wiring kit is. It is rated for 5 amps for stop and turn signals and 7.5 amps for the trailer tailights... more than adequate for any trailer. The wiring kit come with an inline fuse protector.
This ModuLite Protector is also new and includes circuit protection.

The only other thing you may need is 4 wire extension cable to run from the ModuLite to the trailer connection. This can be purchased anywhere...Walmart..Autozone etc. Probably NOT needed though since this new ModuLite gives you plenty of four wire cable....contrary to the earlier models.

ModuLite (Part no. 18176 - $ 25.40) ) and wiring (18151 - $7.75) ) prices total 33.15 plus shipping.
CHEAP insurance to protect the Lexus wiring system.

Order from this page:
http://www.drawtite-hitches.com/electrical/modulite.htm

Good luck.
Old 03-11-03, 09:42 AM
AgSport
Driver School Candidate

I did my own trailer hitch-wiring installation using the "approved" factory/Toyota Wire Harness on my 2001 SilverSport . Costs about $100.00 The hook-up is very straight forward if you follow the 20 page instruction manual; four of those pages are attached below to give you an idea of what's involved. The biggest effort goes into taking apart nearly the entire rear storage area (left side). It took about 4 hours from start to finish. Don't kid yourself and think it's a fast and easy job if it's your first time tearing out some of these interior panels and covers. And use the right tools so you don't leave a bunch of scars on the panels & clips. Everything plugs in and mounts just like the manual says. One minor problem was in locating the connector way up in the C-pillar to connect the wire harness. You need to stick you arm up in there and search/reach for it and then just plug in the connector on the harness. Then button everything back up. It's worked perfectly every time.

Occasionally, I use a U-Haul trailer and their light connector is unique and require a special ($3.???) adapter. I just carry in the RX along w/ the receiver ball so I'm ready anytime.

If you spend $30K+ for your RX, what's another $100. to do it right!
Old 03-11-03, 09:43 AM
AgSport
Driver School Candidate

Page 1 of Manual...
Attached Thumbnails This can't be right, can it? - Towing-wireharnesspg1.jpg  
Old 03-11-03, 09:44 AM
AgSport
Driver School Candidate

Page 3 of Manual...
Attached Thumbnails This can't be right, can it? - Towing-pg3.jpg  
Old 03-11-03, 09:45 AM
AgSport
Driver School Candidate

Page 7 of Manual...
Attached Thumbnails This can't be right, can it? - Towing-pg7.jpg  
Old 03-11-03, 09:46 AM
AgSport
Driver School Candidate

Page 19 of Manual...
Attached Thumbnails This can't be right, can it? - Towing-pg19.jpg  
Old 03-11-03, 04:27 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your 2001 RX should have the towing prep package as standard equipment. Check your window sticker. It's on the left hand side, last item under performance features. This means you are pre-wired and the controller and harness are a simple plug in. The kit you used is for an older RX or Toyota that is not pre-wired.
Old 03-11-03, 06:25 PM
AgSport
Driver School Candidate

Just reviewed original sticker w/ list of Standard Equipment & Installed Options. It didn't indicate anything about "Pre-installed Wiring". Also checked Lexus Options Available List from 2001 and nothing I could find there. I'd say (most) all RX's are pre-wired to a certain degree and it's just a matter of adding in the wiring harness as I did. ( I got all this from my friend who is a certified/master mechanic (10+ years) for Lexus). When I first asked him about adding the wiring he knew exactly what I needed and got it for me and it installed perfectly.

Last edited by AgSport; 08-22-05 at 04:59 PM. Reason: typo error

Quick Reply: This can't be right, can it? - Towing