RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Good jack stand deal I just got

Old 08-18-11, 01:05 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Good jack stand deal I just got

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-h...nds-38846.html

$12.99, tough to beat on a 3 ton jack stand.

Wanted to use this to work on the front of the vehicle this weekend.
Old 08-18-11, 01:58 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Harbor Frieght is awesome. They recently (a year now) opened a Harbor Frieght near me, I use to order from online. But, now it's so much easier. They have pretty good stuff, for real cheap.
Old 08-18-11, 04:28 PM
lserlohn
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am really this one, but just a beginner question, is it good? It looks like a plastic product...I don't want to risk my life.

Meanwhile, is it $12.99 for a pair?
Old 08-18-11, 05:03 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I have had those stands for over 10 years....Great product well made...Cast iron and steel.
Old 08-18-11, 05:17 PM
lserlohn
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, purchased 2 pairs.

Am I really need 2 pairs? or 1 pair is enough
Old 08-18-11, 09:53 PM
kidlex93
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just got the e-mail about these too. bought 1 pair but wondering the same thing that lserlohn is. do i need 2?
Old 08-19-11, 04:38 AM
salimshah

Received 991 Likes on 896 Posts

Each need is different and one answer can not be applicable to all situations.

I prefer a pair of jack stands and a pair of low angle [although not needed for RX] ramps.

The thing I dont like about the jack stands is the top face. One of these days I hope to get the heads that fit on to the seam [where the scissor-jack fits].

Another thing I suggest to purchase is a floor jack. Get a one with low-profile [again not a must for RX]. Floor jacks are so convenient to lift and stick the jack stands under the vehicle.

There is nothing wrong in having all 4 jack stands, but I prefer to have at least 2 wheels supporting the weight.

[safety tip ... Put the jack stands under the cross-members and not under any suspension part ... no springs between the body and the jack-stands]

Salim
Old 08-19-11, 04:48 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by hypervish
Harbor Frieght is awesome. They recently (a year now) opened a Harbor Frieght near me, I use to order from online. But, now it's so much easier. They have pretty good stuff, for real cheap.
I dont want to hijack the thread and make it a HF centric ,,, but I have mixed feelings about the products they sell.

For seldom use items, I think the place is great. On the other hand I would strongly suggest to invest in better quality sockets, screw drivers and pliers.

For jack stands, remember to punch in the tab or else on these days the base is going to slide off and bust your toes [this happens when people lift the stand by grabbing the head]

Salim
Old 08-19-11, 03:42 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Hoping for good weather tomorrow, as I plan to take the stands out of the box and use them. Hope to get some pictures up. Got nothing but rain here right now.
Old 08-19-11, 09:17 PM
salimshah

Send the rains here... It has bee bone dry and 60+ consecutive days of above 100F.

My son has been waiting for months to see how his tires perform on wet roads.

Good luck with your endeavors.

Salim
Old 08-20-11, 06:31 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

The rain here is terrible. It's impossible to see anything while driving. It's been like this for over 1 week. I hate it, you can have all of the rain. Just get it out of there...LOL

I just left early this morning with the RX300 to go visit family in Chicago. Luckily, there was no rain this morning. I'm already out in Pennsylvania, about half way through. I made good timing so far, with no traffic and empty roads. Haven't seen a single cop, you know what that means !!
Old 08-20-11, 10:12 AM
kidlex93
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's raining here now. i think youre bringing the storm here
Old 08-22-11, 07:50 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I was too busy this weekend with work to even get to it. Hope if I have spare time at night or during the weekend to get around to using them.
Old 09-01-11, 01:30 AM
Australian
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Take extra care when using them and be sure to use blocks on the stationary wheels so it doesn't roll off the stands and level ground. I use mine all the time and have had a few scares with them mainly when lifting one side up at a time.
Old 09-01-11, 06:37 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Australian
Take extra care when using them and be sure to use blocks on the stationary wheels so it doesn't roll off the stands and level ground. I use mine all the time and have had a few scares with them mainly when lifting one side up at a time.
It's pretty level ground where I am at, but in Mexico before we got a lift at my Uncle's shop, it had an incline in one are and we had to put some cement blocks.

I've been on the road a lot this past week, but hopefully I can get the jacks up this week as I have a lot to do underneath the vehicle. I have to work on two bolts (one on the tranny pan and one on front differential) that have gotten worn down that they are are to open. In addition, have a clicking sound on front right side that I have to examine. A good time to have the stands.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Good jack stand deal I just got