RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models
Old 12-15-14, 04:42 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

RX300: DIY door lock actuator fix write-up

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-16, 06:01 AM
gkfung
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by abw335i
Hi All,

Spent a lot of time doing this repair on the driver's door and read this entire thread multiple times...I am having the same issue regarding reverse locking and unlocking. When using the driver's door control, if I lock, all other 3 doors lock and the driver's door unlock. If I unlock, the driver's door would lock and the other 3 would unlock. Manually unlocking the driver's door also seems very resistant.

This is the motor I purchased on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/160650309370?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Pretty sure its the correct motor. It's the Mabuchi FC-280PC-22125 model , which is the motor specified in this thread.

Any help is much appreciated!!

Thanks!

Regards.
I ordered mine from ebay:

Mabuchi FC-280PC-22125 Door Lock Motor/Actuator; 280PT 20150 Repair High Speed, I just took the new one out, and verified the new one does spin in the opposite direction from the original one. So I clean the old one and put it back it, and it works better, and hope it will last. I ordered 2 more motors from the other vendor in Ebay, hope this time I will get the right 22125 motor. I will surely check the spinning direction before install it next time. LOL Thanks.
Old 07-24-16, 09:35 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts
Default Request for direction of rotation of original motor

Members:

I too am confused ,,, are the vendors supplying motor with different rotation with the same part number?

Can some one state the direction of spin of the original motor.

Turn the motor around till you are facing the shaft. Connect + of the motor to +12v side and then tell us if it ClockWise or Counter ClockWise.

Thanks.

Old 07-24-16, 09:38 AM
abw335i
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gkfung
I ordered mine from ebay:

Mabuchi FC-280PC-22125 Door Lock Motor/Actuator; 280PT 20150 Repair High Speed, I just took the new one out, and verified the new one does spin in the opposite direction from the original one. So I clean the old one and put it back it, and it works better, and hope it will last. I ordered 2 more motors from the other vendor in Ebay, hope this time I will get the right 22125 motor. I will surely check the spinning direction before install it next time. LOL Thanks.
Looks like we purchased from the same seller. Does this mean that the seller sent us the wrong motor even though we ordered the correct model number? Very frustrating. So how am I supposed to know which way the motor spins before purchasing? There is no differentiation in model number and may happen again. Anyways, looks like I now I have to go back and redo all the steps to get the actuator out after assembling everything back together,

Also, how did you open the old motor up and clean it? Was it relatively easy?
Old 07-24-16, 09:44 PM
abw335i
Driver School Candidate

Not sure if this matters, but the motor I purchased from eBay (link above) states that it's Mabuchi brand, however, the plastic cap does not have "Mabuchi" engraved like the original one had. May be falsely advertised as a third party unit? That might be the reason why the gear was reversed?

In any case, does anyone have a link to the correct part and working motor?

Another alternative...I'm also seeing entire actuator units for $30-$40 on ebay such as
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Left-D...5XhiQi&vxp=mtr
Does anyone have experience with this?

I would not want to risk getting another reverse motor again....

Thanks.
Old 07-26-16, 06:16 AM
HerrHepcat
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default reverse polarity

I just accomplished the motor replacement a couple weekends ago, and had the same problem of it going in reverse. I didn't have a wiring diagram, but my local mechanic found it, and simply reversed the wires in the actuator plug for power and ground (I had a couple other things for him to do anyway). Polarity on motors is often a variable, switch the power, and they go they go in reverse.

Maybe someone on this thread can provide the wiring diagram for the actuator plug? Switch the positive and ground, and you'll be good to go.
Old 07-28-16, 09:20 AM
Nick26
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought one of those entire actuator units from eBay about six months ago, mainly because I was having too much trouble trying to pry apart the old unit to replace the Mabuchi motor. I haven't regretted installing the new one, it's still working just fine. The cost was just a few dollars more, but the hassle was much less. I would certainly try it again!

Last edited by Nick26; 07-28-16 at 02:28 PM. Reason: clarify
Old 07-29-16, 08:29 AM
HerrHepcat
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick26
I bought one of those entire actuator units from eBay about six months ago, mainly because I was having too much trouble trying to pry apart the old unit to replace the Mabuchi motor. I haven't regretted installing the new one, it's still working just fine. The cost was just a few dollars more, but the hassle was much less. I would certainly try it again!
Yeah, I noticed the actuator units for sale after I had already replaced the motor. Wish I went that route, looks easier.
Old 08-06-16, 12:58 PM
abw335i
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
Members:

I too am confused ,,, are the vendors supplying motor with different rotation with the same part number?

Can some one state the direction of spin of the original motor.

Turn the motor around till you are facing the shaft. Connect + of the motor to +12v side and then tell us if it ClockWise or Counter ClockWise.

Thanks.
I believe the original motor spins clockwise when looking at the shaft, at least thats what it says on the mabuchi spec sheet. The motor I purchased from "nooelec" seller on ebay spun the opposite direction. Beware of this seller who states that this is genuine Mabuchi when it is not up to the original Mabuchi motor specs. Some folks on the GS forums had posted about this same bogus seller a while back. I ended up purchasing from another seller "zinky86" and everything is working flawlessly!
Old 08-06-16, 03:47 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

I believe the original motor spins clockwise when looking at the shaft, at least thats what it says on the mabuchi spec sheet. The motor I purchased from "nooelec" seller on ebay spun the opposite direction. Beware of this seller who states that this is genuine Mabuchi when it is not up to the original Mabuchi motor specs. Some folks on the GS forums had posted about this same bogus seller a while back. I ended up purchasing from another seller "zinky86" and everything is working flawlessly!
Thank you.

Please provide feedback on the seller/product at the point of sale.

Salim
Old 08-08-16, 08:08 PM
gkfung
Driver School Candidate

Yes, i got the same experience, the motor I got from "nooelec" on ebay is not good for my Lexus RX300. I have wasted one day to find that out the hard way. Do not order from them.
Old 08-09-16, 03:43 AM
Macmasdad
Driver School Candidate

I had ordered a four pack off Amazon thru Surplus Deal USA, and had no issue with the one that I used. Keeping the other three on hand for the other doors if/when they have issues.
Old 08-10-16, 07:17 PM
rickl289
Driver School Candidate

Just finished the passenger side rear lock over the weekend. I replaced the driver's side front several years ago. I bought a pair of motors then and found the extra one when the rear one failed. I had to buy the puller (not sure what I did for the driver's side). Thanks for the great write up!
Old 08-19-16, 10:35 AM
echassin
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

This thread, like so many others, is just fantastic!

I just replaced the front passenger actuator and I'm having the exact same problem as the one I quoted :-(. The key fob worked fine before before on the other three doors, and the new actuator works fine with twisting the key and with the switches.

Interestingly, the key fob works on the other three doors IF I disconnect the passenger door switch panel AND I wait for a minute or so. If I reconnect the switch panel, the key fob does nothing. Weird and frustrating.

I disconnected the battery for a minute or so, which is apparently not long enough, but the car is now out on errands so I have to wait. Any ideas IF a 20 minute battery disconnect doesn't solve things?

Originally Posted by pcwenzel

After replacing the two actuators, things seemed fine from the inside. Using the power lock switch on the door, I could lock and unlock all four doors... when I tried the key fob, the locks didn't respond...I checked my other key - didn't work either...

before I replaced the actuators, the key fob worked fine with the car - just wouldn't open the front doors.
Old 08-20-16, 10:02 AM
echassin
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Follow up on above post: I disconnected the battery for 1/2 hour: no change. I re-examined my work and noticed that locking the door manually from the inside worked stiffly. I took the lock actuator out and didn't notice an obvious error, but I did my best to put it back together meticulously and everything works correctly now, whether manually from the inside or with the key in the door handle, or by key fob.

Again, great thread and great forum! Next is the window switch relay on the same door, which is coming from the Far East, so for now, tape over the switches...
Old 08-21-16, 04:27 AM
2002RX300
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by echassin
Next is the window switch relay on the same door, which is coming from the Far East, so for now, tape over the switches...
I got lucky and did the pinch protection reset about a year ago and still working great!

Last edited by 2002RX300; 08-21-16 at 04:31 AM.

Quick Reply: RX300: DIY door lock actuator fix write-up