RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models
Old 12-15-14, 04:42 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

RX300: DIY door lock actuator fix write-up

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-14, 06:01 PM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Well; i dont know that i will need to do that per say as it seems like that should fix the problem at hand. Since i am probably gonna have this buddy of mine try and do the repair(s); i dont want to have to go back to his place a second or third time as its not easy to coordinate times because he has kids etc and works and I am busy as well.
Old 12-26-14, 10:42 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Got a strange issue. I replaced the drivers side door lock actuator motor and it works fine. However, the car won't beep anymore.

If I press the unlock button once, there is no beep but the drivers door does unlock.

If I press the unlock button twice, there is a beep and all doors unlock.

If I press the lock button once, there is a beep and all doors lock.

I double checked the two connectors going to the assembly and they are clicked in properly.

Any ideas? I also pulled the negative cable for a few minutes thinking it may be a gremlin, but no change.
Old 12-26-14, 04:26 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Try disconnecting for about 20 mins.

If things dont fall in place ... I suspect the security system is out of sync. I have forgotten the sequence ..
involves using master key in ignition.

How is the red security light?

Salim
Old 12-26-14, 08:13 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah
Try disconnecting for about 20 mins.

If things dont fall in place ... I suspect the security system is out of sync. I have forgotten the sequence ..
involves using master key in ignition.

How is the red security light?

Salim
I'll try disconnecting it again for longer sometime next week.

I also tried to reset the security system. The red light goes out with key in ignition, and is functioning the same as usual.

Thanks Salim!
Old 12-26-14, 08:28 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Did you do the OE type motor or a piggyback?
Old 12-26-14, 08:57 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by carguy07
Did you do the OE type motor or a piggyback?
OE type motor. It's the 3rd one that I did, so I'm certain I did it correctly.
Old 12-27-14, 08:39 AM
salimshah

Actuator has couple of independent function. The motor part just does the mechanical. The other functions are recognizing which state the locks are (secured/unsecured), door ajar, how the next energize action should be interpreted and the most trickiest is if a mechanical override happens then send the signal to the ecu. Folks who have tried slim-jim equivalent have fond that the doors quickly cycle and lock themselves up.

So ,,, you can replace the bad motor, but if there is something out-of-syn with the security system, you will have issues like hyper is having. Or there may be something wrong with the other portion (including a bad connection) with the actuator. Our vehicles are aging!

Salim
Old 12-27-14, 06:35 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

I think there is a connection issue. There wasn't anything wrong before doing this actuator replacement. I will have to inspect the wires.

I have noticed that once this issue started, if I only unlock the drivers door and insert the key in the ignition, the car will automatically unlock all of the other doors.

So I'm fairly certain the computer isn't communicating completely with the drivers door.
Old 12-27-14, 07:54 PM
salimshah

Also check the link to the key in the door. The electrical communication happens with the electronic board and the links that run around. You can use the lock key and see what happens when you operate it. Lock, unlock twice, unlock and hold etc.

Salim
Old 12-28-14, 05:49 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Also check the link to the key in the door. The electrical communication happens with the electronic board and the links that run around. You can use the lock key and see what happens when you operate it. Lock, unlock twice, unlock and hold etc.

Salim
The link is connected to the key latch thing. I believe I did it correctly, as I only see one way to put it on.

However, it has never quite worked correctly. Locking the car via key always worked, however unlocking via the key, usually didn't work. The lock would begin to move but wouldn't ever fully unlock. But moving the key once or twice to the unlock position, usually got it all the way to unlock and then it would open.

Now after the door lock actuator motor replacement, using the key to lock still works perfectly. However, unlocking via the key, doesn't work at all.

I'll have to pull the entire actuator out again and take a look. I'm thinking it has something to do with the smaller connector, the one with only 2 pins. I unplugged and replugged both, but that didn't seem to do anything.

But of course, the radiator in my Sienna has started to leak. So I'll be working on that today, instead of the RX.
Old 12-28-14, 09:18 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by hypervish
The link is connected to the key latch thing. I believe I did it correctly, as I only see one way to put it on.

. I'm thinking it has something to do with the smaller connector, the one with only 2 pins. I unplugged and replugged both, but that didn't seem to do anything.

But of course, the radiator in my Sienna has started to leak. So I'll be working on that today, instead of the RX.
I always though the 2 wire connector has to do with door ajar. Please confirm before spending time on that one ... if the dome light + display work correctly and the 2 pin connector is for door ajar then you will be wasting your time. I suspect the time tiny circuit board attached to the key cylinder and wiring could be your problem. just a hunch

Salim
Old 12-28-14, 10:19 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

I always though the 2 wire connector has to do with door ajar. Please confirm before spending time on that one ... if the dome light + display work correctly and the 2 pin connector is for door ajar then you will be wasting your time. I suspect the time tiny circuit board attached to the key cylinder and wiring could be your problem. just a hunch

Salim
Yes, I will confirm that before doing so. I will hopefully get time to attack this on Tuesday or Thursday. Will keep everyone posted.

Thanks Salim!
Old 01-04-15, 08:37 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Just an update, I haven't had a chance to dig in to the door again and see what the issue is. The door is working fine though with the exception of no beep initially, and the cycling of the door locks whenever opening and closing the drivers door. So, I'm going to hold off on touching it for a few months and will attack it when the weather gets warmer. Will likely just get an entire door lock assembly from a junkyard or something and throw it in if I can't find anything wrong with mine. But we'll cross that bridge, when I get there.
Old 01-30-15, 10:33 PM
tpfarm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door lock acuator fix

A word of thanks to the op and others who contributed to this extremely valuable write up on replacing the motors in the door actuators. I just completed replacing all four door actuator motors for a total of $60.00. Dealer and independent garage quoted $2200.00 and $1800.00 respectively.
THANKS !
Old 01-30-15, 11:56 PM
salimshah

merging posts
char fodder char fodder

Quick Reply: RX300: DIY door lock actuator fix write-up