RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Reengineered rear valve cover??

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-14, 07:51 AM
snorander
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Partywave
THANK YOU!!!

In June I bought a completely green CARFAX 2000 RX300 and even have a printout from the local Lexus Service Dept showing it received every service throughout its life at the dealer. When my truck started smoking horribly when I start it first thing in the morning, I learned about the problem of engine sludge and excessive oil consumption in the Toyota/Lexus 3.0L V6. Thank God for the help of ClubLexus.com and the part number above. I visited the local dealer's service dept, called twice and emailed asking for an appointment and they kept saying they'd get back with me. Fortunately I found a Toyota mechanic on Craigslist to replace my rear valve cover and PCV and gaskets, etc. Mine has 107K so we also changed the Denso Iridium spark plugs. Anyway, now it runs marvelously! THANK YOU!!!

Oh, the red L-shaped PCV valve I got at the Lexus Parts Dept was the wrong one (it pushes down into place into the stock 2000 RX rear valve cover). So, I went back and got a silver and brass I-shaped screw in PCV valve for a 2004 RX330 that screws into the the reengineered valve cover.

2000 RX300 3.0L with a 2004 RX330 3.5L rear valve cover

Going to have to do this on my 2000 RX300.

Does anyone have a complete parts list with part numbers for everything needed to do this swap?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 11-21-14, 08:41 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by snorander
Going to have to do this on my 2000 RX300.

Does anyone have a complete parts list with part numbers for everything needed to do this swap?

Thanks,

Steve
I did the rear valve cover mod on mine back in May. Best thing I've done to the RX. If you read through the entire thread, there are a couple of posts with the correct PN's listed. I'd have to search to find them, so I'll leave that up to you....

The hardest part is getting the bolt loosened up on the back side of the upper manifold plenum.
Follow the How To and you can't go wrong
Old 11-21-14, 09:56 AM
snorander
Driver School Candidate

is there an actual kit for this or do I have to order all the parts separately? Is the DIY you are refering to the video?

Thanks,

Steve
Here is the parts list for anyone else looking

11201-0A060 rear valve cover assby
11213-0A010 valve cover cylinder gasket
12204-20040 PCV valve
12261-20091 ventilation hose.

Last edited by snorander; 11-24-14 at 05:47 AM.
Old 11-21-14, 03:19 PM
snorander
Driver School Candidate

Interesting this guy was able to get it off without removing the wipers....

Old 11-23-14, 11:51 PM
jsmith27
Driver School Candidate

I had the issue of excessive oil consumption. What worked for me was:
1. Replaced PCV valve and grommet.
2. Removed and thoroughly cleaned from front valve cover.
3. Check the two hoses for obstruction (there was none).

The oil consumption is normal now (after 10K), the baffles on the front valve cover may have been clogged or the PCV valve was bad, or both. I have the old style rear valve cover an never messed with it due to the pain of removing it. The PCV valve and cleaning the front valve cover is easy, I would recommend trying that first
Old 11-24-14, 06:23 AM
kalali
Pole Position

You'll have heck of a time trying to put things back together if you do it according to that video. He's either done this several times before or he'll be troubleshooting poor performance for quite a while. Or may be looking through the video clip by clip. I'd strongly recommend taking pictures as well as bagging the nuts and bolts.... but that's just me.
Old 02-12-15, 07:49 PM
tllee
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jsmith27
I had the issue of excessive oil consumption. What worked for me was:
1. Replaced PCV valve and grommet.
2. Removed and thoroughly cleaned from front valve cover.
3. Check the two hoses for obstruction (there was none).

The oil consumption is normal now (after 10K), the baffles on the front valve cover may have been clogged or the PCV valve was bad, or both. I have the old style rear valve cover an never messed with it due to the pain of removing it. The PCV valve and cleaning the front valve cover is easy, I would recommend trying that first
I did the same things(never find any clog) and it work for me when my speed is not over 70 MPH and not driving too long for over 70MPH(about 20-30 miles). I drove my car last summer for 250 miles at constant speed around 70 MPH, I lost 1 QT oil every 70-100 miles. So I changed my rear cover and problem solved!!
So I strongly suggest that you try it on a long trip and have several bottles of oil on car. The worse thing about this RX300 is oil light never came up even I can't see any oil on my oil stick!! So check oil every 70-100 miles when you're on the long trip before it's too late.
Old 02-12-15, 08:00 PM
tllee
Rookie

Originally Posted by snorander
Interesting this guy was able to get it off without removing the wipers....

How to::: Lexus RX300 Valve cover gasket replacement - YouTube
This guy already removed the 2 "troubled" bolts on the back of plenum. So, it look so easy. He never touch the back of plenum for those bolts!! Lexmex suggest that can leave one bolt uninstalled; but not 2 bolts. I'm a little bit worry for leave both uninstalled, our plenum is metal(heavy) and tilt very much to rear, the bolts are there for a reason. But some guys still manage to remove these 2 bolts without removing the wiper and cowl cover and etc.... You can try your luck but I'm the unlucky one and end up took everything off in order to get it.
Old 02-12-15, 09:15 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by tllee

This guy already removed the 2 "troubled" bolts on the back of plenum. So, it look so easy. He never touch the back of plenum for those bolts!! Lexmex suggest that can leave one bolt uninstalled; but not 2 bolts. I'm a little bit worry for leave both uninstalled, our plenum is metal(heavy) and tilt very much to rear, the bolts are there for a reason. But some guys still manage to remove these 2 bolts without removing the wiper and cowl cover and etc.... You can try your luck but I'm the unlucky one and end up took everything off in order to get it.
Are the "troubled" bolts for ground? Wondering if they can be accessed after removing the throttle body. Planning to attempt the valve cover replacement in 2 weeks.
Old 02-13-15, 06:29 PM
tllee
Rookie

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
Are the "troubled" bolts for ground? Wondering if they can be accessed after removing the throttle body. Planning to attempt the valve cover replacement in 2 weeks.
No. it's not. Both are the support bracket bolts. The ground bolts can be accessed after you remove the plenum, just don't move the plenum too much(you could break the ground wire). See my attached file(I copy it from another forum), I circle those 2 bolts, the one at right-hand side is the most troubled one.
RX300's engine bay is shortest one, some Camry and Sienna are much easier.
Attached Thumbnails Reengineered rear valve cover??-1mz_007.jpg  
Old 02-15-15, 06:59 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

No. it's not. Both are the support bracket bolts. The ground bolts can be accessed after you remove the plenum, just don't move the plenum too much(you could break the ground wire). See my attached file(I copy it from another forum), I circle those 2 bolts, the one at right-hand side is the most troubled one.
RX300's engine bay is shortest one, some Camry and Sienna are much easier.
thanks for the heads up and visual! Next week, weather permitting, i'll attempt to get back there with a ratcheting wrench or just end up removing the wipers and cowl.
Old 02-15-15, 06:14 PM
tllee
Rookie

thanks for the heads up and visual! Next week, weather permitting, i'll attempt to get back there with a ratcheting wrench or just end up removing the wipers and cowl.
Good luck! The weather in NJ is horrible next week. It's freezing. If you have heated garage, then you have the luxury to do it any time you want. My garage is full of "non- disposable" items for my house and cars repair.
Old 02-15-15, 07:25 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Good luck! The weather in NJ is horrible next week. It's freezing. If you have heated garage, then you have the luxury to do it any time you want. My garage is full of "non- disposable" items for my house and cars repair.
Its not a heated garage but at least out of the wind. I have a set of winter carhartt overalls for just an occasion though i'm in no rush to do it at one straight clip.

I will reluctantly do a coolant flush at the same time because we missed the 120k service according to Lexus. I'm dreading getting splashed by messy coolant in this cold weather than doing the valve cover/sparkplug change.
Old 02-17-15, 02:37 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Just received my new oem updated valve cover. Nice of toyota to include spark plug tube seals.

Reengineered rear valve cover??-forumrunner_20150217_173521.png
Old 02-17-15, 05:14 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Just received my new oem updated valve cover. Nice of toyota to include spark plug tube seals.

Attachment 355201
Boy, are you in for some fun....

Quick Reply: Reengineered rear valve cover??