RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Reengineered rear valve cover??

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-12, 05:28 PM
jolomo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine OIL CATCH FILTER

Would an Engine OIL CATCH FILTER solve this problem. There are a number of them on ebay for $30 to $50.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SILVER-Alumi...c29155&vxp=mtr
Old 10-24-12, 09:33 AM
Larry62
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Chapter closed on my oil consumption issue

Well its been over 15k since I replaced the rear valve cover and trying different makes of oil. I am happy to say that I still have no issue with oil consumption whether highway or city driving, and have settled on Pennziol Platinum 5W30 . Im counting my lucky stars that I just happened to run into the Toyota parts guy who shared with me the reengineered valve cover story. Otherwise I would have gotten rid of the vehicle,and lost a great ride.
Old 10-27-12, 11:17 PM
tllee
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry62
Well its been over 15k since I replaced the rear valve cover and trying different makes of oil. I am happy to say that I still have no issue with oil consumption whether highway or city driving, and have settled on Pennziol Platinum 5W30 . Im counting my lucky stars that I just happened to run into the Toyota parts guy who shared with me the reengineered valve cover story. Otherwise I would have gotten rid of the vehicle,and lost a great ride.
Hi Larry,

Do you know the 2002 RX300 already have the new version of the valve cover or not? You said that your old one have 3 ports and new one have one port , what kind of ports you're talking about? Would you give me more details about that? I maybe able to ID my cover's version.

My 02 RX300 also have this mystery problem, I change PCV valve twice but no use. I'll share my another mystery finding with you guys. RX300 oil change is always required 5 QT. But since this problem, I discover a very strange thing, right after I put my 5 QT oil(100% sure) in, run engine for 3 min.Then I checked my oil level, to my surprise, the level is not on top(it was on top whenever I changed my oil before). It's 1/4" below the top line.

WHERE IS THE OIL GO? MY CAR IS NOT EVEN BE DRIVEN YET! IF OIL LEAK OUT,I SHOULD SEE OIL ON THE GROUND,BUT THERE IS NOTHING! Then after I drive it for 3 days,I find the level back to normal but just once. After that, oil level drop back to the old one and never recover. I hate those new Toyota/Lexus, my old Toyota was never give me any weird problems. Anybody can enlight me for what's happen, I'll be very happy. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-28-12, 08:51 AM
Larry62
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello,
I dont know if your year has the newer version valve cover. Sorry. In my initial post I didnt say the new one only had one port, it had several. The ports are in the pvc baffle which is inside the rear valve cover, I know the difference on my vehicle between the old valve cover and the new one was the pvc valve screwd in on the newer one and pushed into a rubber grommet on the old one.

Sorry I couldnt be more helpful,but maybe someone else on the website can give you a more definite answer.

Larry
Old 11-27-12, 02:20 PM
blaster30
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the only way to tell if you have the reengineered valve cover is the type of PCV? Screw in = newer cover? Also, if it is the old one, do you just replace the one?
Old 11-27-12, 06:59 PM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by tllee
Hi Larry,
edit ,,, snip

My 02 RX300 also have this mystery problem, I change PCV valve twice but no use. I'll share my another mystery finding with you guys. RX300 oil change is always required 5 QT. But since this problem, I discover a very strange thing, right after I put my 5 QT oil(100% sure) in, run engine for 3 min.Then I checked my oil level, to my surprise, the level is not on top(it was on top whenever I changed my oil before). It's 1/4" below the top line.

snip edit

. Anybody can enlight me for what's happen, I'll be very happy. Thanks in advance!
The oil filter takes up a portion of the oil. Lexus filters seem pre-soaked but still the cavity needs oil. If you use another brand, it can take up 1/2 to 3/4 quart.

Salim
Old 12-03-12, 01:40 PM
tllee
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
The oil filter takes up a portion of the oil. Lexus filters seem pre-soaked but still the cavity needs oil. If you use another brand, it can take up 1/2 to 3/4 quart.

Salim
Hi Salim,

Thank for the reply. I understand your point. But I always use another brand of oil filter(most of them are Purolator), it alway show the level is on top mark after I run the engine for 3-5 mins. before this happened.
And the oil level change up and down "syndrome"(this car is sick) really baffle me. If oil is gone, why the level back up to top mark. As I wrote this,I just checked my oil level, it's back up when I started my errand and back down when I came back( I always checked the oil level after the car stop for 1 hour to make sure accuracy).
My engine is run great, no white smoke,and feel very powerful. I properly maintain this car(oil change every 3000 miles). The oil color is very clear even after 1000 miles running. If it's oil sludge, the engine should choke smoke and run poorly; the oil color should turn pitch back in no time( I saw some cases of oil sludge). BUT I KNOW ONE THING FOR SURE, I'LL NEVER GIVE TOYOTA ANOTHER CHANCE. My next car could be any brand but Toyota.
Old 12-03-12, 02:33 PM
toyo
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Toyota filters are not pre-filled, believe me. The valve cover can't have a bearing on the oil level since it does not 'hold" any oil. Make sure the car is level and wait 10 minutes before you check the level.
Old 12-03-12, 04:26 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by toyo
Toyota filters are not pre-filled, believe me. The valve cover can't have a bearing on the oil level since it does not 'hold" any oil. Make sure the car is level and wait 10 minutes before you check the level.
Thank you for the correction.

Salim
Old 12-16-12, 11:10 AM
Partywave
Rookie

Originally Posted by Larry62
Well, due to no real relief in the oil burning issue in my RX300 I decided to go ahead and replace the rear valve cover with the newer reengineered one that I discussed in my earlier post, I compared the baffles between the two and the newer one has a much smaller baffle and the ports in the newer one are only on the side,as opposed to 3 large ports on the top of my origional one. I have now put 1000 miles on the car and have not used a drop of oil. I know that this procedure will not improve oil burning in engines that have ring wear or worn valve seals but it definitely cured my particular problem which was a pcv system issue. The newer vavlve cover part number that was ordered for me is 11201-0A060. The cost was $260 and labor was$ 350.

W heras I cant guarantee this will cure your particular problem it is worth keeping in mind.
THANK YOU!!!

In June I bought a completely green CARFAX 2000 RX300 and even have a printout from the local Lexus Service Dept showing it received every service throughout its life at the dealer. When my truck started smoking horribly when I start it first thing in the morning, I learned about the problem of engine sludge and excessive oil consumption in the Toyota/Lexus 3.0L V6. Thank God for the help of ClubLexus.com and the part number above. I visited the local dealer's service dept, called twice and emailed asking for an appointment and they kept saying they'd get back with me. Fortunately I found a Toyota mechanic on Craigslist to replace my rear valve cover and PCV and gaskets, etc. Mine has 107K so we also changed the Denso Iridium spark plugs. Anyway, now it runs marvelously! THANK YOU!!!

Oh, the red L-shaped PCV valve I got at the Lexus Parts Dept was the wrong one (it pushes down into place into the stock 2000 RX rear valve cover). So, I went back and got a silver and brass I-shaped screw in PCV valve for a 2004 RX330 that screws into the the reengineered valve cover.

2000 RX300 3.0L with a 2004 RX330 3.5L rear valve cover

Old 12-16-12, 02:32 PM
toyo
Intermediate

Interesting picture of that valve cover with it having normal routine service. Why are you replacing the intake manifold gasket?
Old 12-16-12, 05:56 PM
Partywave
Rookie

Originally Posted by toyo
Interesting picture of that valve cover with it having normal routine service. Why are you replacing the intake manifold gasket?

Good question, toyo. I can't say for sure;I just followed the recommendation of the mechanic and Lexus Parts Dept. This solution was miraculous. I was very worried about how much longer the engine would even last and now runs like new.
Old 12-16-12, 07:43 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

You have to remove the upper intake to be able to get access to the rear valve cover.
Old 12-16-12, 08:35 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by carguy07
You have to remove the upper intake to be able to get access to the rear valve cover.
Any one tried removing the cowl and get to the rear valve cover from the firewall side?

Salim
Old 12-17-12, 01:43 AM
toyo
Intermediate

I've never removed the intake, that's why I was asking. I go from the bottom.

Quick Reply: Reengineered rear valve cover??