RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Lack of tether anchor for RX300 1999

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-11, 04:26 PM
Echo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lack of tether anchor for RX300 1999

We bought booster carseats and found our 1999 RX300 does not have the teher anchor which is required for forward facing carseats (we use Britax Frontier 85).

After some digging on internet, I found Toyota/Lexus did not have this safety feature until 2001. Carseat.org has a Toyota/Lexus tether program which retrofits tether on older cars.
http://carseat.org/Events_Media/0_ToyotaIP.htm

However, when I called Lexus dealer in Portland, Oregon today. NOne of the service people knew about this program. After being transferred a few rounds, I was told that only one tether could be installed on the floor behind right rear seat. This is an issue for us as we have twins.

Anyone has been to similar situation? advice?

Thanks.

Echo
Old 07-06-11, 06:55 PM
defo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Search on EBAY every week or so, and look for a 2001-2003 rear seat assembly, the anchors are built into the frame.....it's not the cheapest solution, but I have seen rear seat assemblies for $150 plus freight shipping (usually $100).

If you do go that route, make sure you have them include the center seat-belt clasp (it is bolted to the floor, NOT the seat frame), and the 99-00 one inside your RX, will NOT work with the 01-03 rear seat section, just so you know the whole assembly will bolt right into your 1999 model without any modifications.

FYI, some sellers list the seats as 99-03, so read the description as to what model it was pulled from.....you can also identify the 01-03 seats visually, as the center seat location has a built-in shoulder belt in leu of the 99-00 lap-belt.

Last edited by defo; 07-06-11 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-06-11, 08:26 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

When I put kid seats in my 99 I just use the locking shoulder/lap belt.

I do not believe LATCH is required by law.
Old 07-06-11, 08:38 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

This is interesting information -- thanks for sharing that! (Too late for my grown daughters, though!) I think the LATCH anchor system is required on new cars beginning a few years ago, but I don't know when the law took effect.
Old 07-06-11, 09:14 PM
TriniLex
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

My 2001 RX 300 has the LATCH system for both window seats but not the middle seat.
Middle seat would be much safer

I just installed a rear facing safety 1st Alpha Omega. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong here? Other than the fact it is not in reclined mode. Its impossible for this thing to fit.

Any suggestions on other rear facing seats that will fit in our rx?

Old 07-06-11, 11:45 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicotrini
My 2001 RX 300 has the LATCH system for both window seats but not the middle seat.
Middle seat would be much safer

I just installed a rear facing safety 1st Alpha Omega. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong here? Other than the fact it is not in reclined mode. Its impossible for this thing to fit.

I would just use the latch system and put it on one side. I have used a Britax Marathon and now have a Britax Frontier on the passenger side and they both feel like they are bolted down when you snug up the latch tethers. I rear faced and front faced the Marathon using the latch on the back of the seat for front facing and the mount for the rear of the front seat when rear facing. Locked in crazy tight when set up this way. Passenger seat has to be run about 1/2 way forward to get enough clearance when rear facing.
Old 07-07-11, 12:15 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

http://youtu.be/zBfFGtUAtRg
Old 07-07-11, 07:35 AM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

imho, the tilt angle is the problem. TP to force a tilt is not correct. If the TPs or other stuffing shifts, the belt may not take up the slack quickly in an accident. The base of the child seat should rest evenly with the seat .. A flat layer of towel is OK.

The other problem with the tilt is that shoulder hold down. We had a similar child seat and the strap down (over the shoulder of the child) was a wide plate and it kept the chest of the child from moving forward. In the pictured setup, the straps over the shoulder of the baby would try to keep the baby in the seat, in case the vehicle stops and the inertia of the baby slides the baby forward. IMHO the baby would either slip out or injure collar bone.

In summary, the child seat is not installed properly. As a parent you are the best judge, but I would humbly implore that switch to another seat or remove all the props.

Salim
Old 07-07-11, 10:05 AM
defo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicotrini

You should not have to build up the bottom of the seat....most infant seats have a level of some sort and a means of adjust the tilt that is built-into the base, your set-up looks very unsafe.
Currently we have an infant (rear facing) seat on the driver side and a booster style car seat on the passenger.....and I drive with the seat position all the way back (I am 6'-1"), and the seat back is about 1/2" from touching the infant seat.

The infant seat is a Chicco Key Fit
Old 07-07-11, 07:04 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

I don't care if they market that as suitable for rear-facing. It clearly is not. Don't use it like that. To me it looks more like a front-facing booster seat.

BTW it may be on recall: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls...h&summary=true
Old 07-10-11, 10:19 PM
TriniLex
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I installed it for the picture to be sent to doral. It has been removed out now. Thanks for your input. I plan on returning it to the store asap. I will consider the chico.
Old 07-13-11, 05:41 PM
zeusigchi
Driver School Candidate

OK need some help here as well...

I have a infant car seat base and I cannot find where the heck to tether the latches to. I have a 2001 RX and from I am reading, I should have somewhere to latch too.

I do occasionally babysit and have installed a child car seat using the latches behind the seats, but this clearly wont work for the infant base. Any help is appreaciated, pictures welcome too.

For reference the base I am trying to install..

http://www.google.com/products/catal...wAQ#ps-sellers
Old 07-13-11, 06:41 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

If that model year doesn't have latch anchors you have to use the lap or lap/shoulder belt.
Instructions are in the manual.

http://www.chiccousa.com/Files/pdf/p...ctions3_00.pdf
Old 07-14-11, 06:32 AM
zeusigchi
Driver School Candidate

I always assumed you had to use both the latches and seat belt... Guess not.

I'd feel more secure if I could use both. Anyone ever create something to uses the latches in a 2001 model?
Old 08-07-14, 02:00 PM
Pughnitive
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is an old thread, but I just found something that works. Maybe I'm overlooking something here, but I'm hoping some of you have some thoughts on this.

I have my (rear facing) child seat in the middle so that people can sit on each side of the baby. I'm using the center lap seatbelt to secure one side of the child seat. For the other side, I found two holes in the frame under the rear seats in the middle. The tether that came with my Evenflo Tribute LX wasn't quite long enough so I bought two 5/16" stainless steel quick links to attach both sides of the tether to the holes. Each quick link can withstand up to 1700 lbs.

Thoughts?

Here are some pics.

Last edited by Pughnitive; 08-07-14 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Wrong picture link.

Quick Reply: Lack of tether anchor for RX300 1999