RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Timing Belt / Time or Mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-11, 07:05 PM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Timing Belt / Time or Mileage?

I've searched for posts regarding this, and I cannot find any that speak to replacing the timing belt based on TIME and not mileage. I have read that these belts are very resiliant and will last way beyond 90K miles.

So of course I am asking because my RX300 has less than 60K miles but it is 12 years old so there is the question I pose to the group.

Thoughts are appreciated as always.

JBL
Old 06-20-11, 12:02 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I am of the PERSONAL belief that the TB's on the RX's will last the life of the car, (98+ % of them anyway), no matter what the miles OR age (yes I have changed them) Having said that, if finances are NO problem, be on the safe side and change it when you want to, but NOT because you need to worry about it failing by the end of the week. They are a pretty incredible belt.
Old 06-20-11, 04:02 AM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Code58:

I certainly understand that all of the comments here are of one's opinion, and not what might or might not be recommended by Lexus. Many of the people here have a lot more experience turning wrenches on these cars than I do so your opinions are valuable to me for this reason.

Thanks.
Old 06-20-11, 06:34 AM
Dietz
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 99 RX300 with 180,00 miles on them. I have not changed the timing belt, but again, it may be time. The one problem is $$. I need a tune up, to get to the last two plugs they are way in the back (called internal) and if you are going to be back there you have access to water pump and timing belt......$2100 to have it all done, $1400 for tune up and water pump.
Again, my car had 180k on it with same timing belt. Do what you think or can afford to do.
Old 06-20-11, 06:40 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

I'll throw my hand into this. It is a pretty resilient belt and that goes for a lot of Japanese vehicles. Last week I helped replaced a timing belt on a 2001 Acura CL-S and that belt showed practically no wear at 126K. Just before I left Mexico, and I may have mentioned it back in 2008, my uncle got to replace a timing belt on a 2003 Camry V6 (also a similar 1MZFE engine like the RX300's) that had seen in excess of 200K miles, 212K if I remember precisely on the KM conversion (since they use the metric system). That was one of the earliest Toyota vehicles sold and have been a Mexico City car that had also seen some extensive driving over the 10,000 mountains that dot the city. There was hardly a scratch on it. It's very conceivably possible they could go the life of the car, but again it is going to depend on conditions. That was a very dry environment (I am only now getting rust in certain areas I did not in Mexico), but certainly the high altitude will put a strain on that engine.

I would say from what I have seen that the 90K is now more to me to be a guideline, but I still would say when you take out the timing belt, go ahead and replace the water pump while you are in there. I had a heck of a time with my neighbor getting that pump out since we bust a bolt in the process and had to bore out the the hole and re-tap it.

I think we've seen our fair share of belts run over 150K here, but when I last replaced mine in Dec. 2004 at Lexus, I did that out of an abundance of caution at around 82K since I was racing the vehicle. However, next time, I plan to work with someone (highly advisable) and do the timing belt and accessories myself.
Old 06-20-11, 07:22 AM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have yet to hear of one of these actually breaking? Losing one of these would be close to catastrophic since these are interference engines but again, I have not heard of any breaking. Has anyone here heard to the contrary?
Old 06-20-11, 07:28 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

My 97' Honda Accord has 201k on the original timing belt, and I'm not planning on changing it anytime soon. It's an interference engine as well. I'm looking for an ES300 anyways, but I want to see how many miles I can get out of the original timing belt.
Old 06-20-11, 07:41 AM
jbl-1985
Advanced

The ES300 I recently bought actually had it's timing belt replaced at 36k miles (there's a sticker on the belt cover). That's one of the reasons I asked in the first place. Seems whoever owned it was changing it due to time, but the more I read about these, the more I think they are pretty robust. I realize the decision is mine, but I think I have my answer...
Old 06-20-11, 08:29 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jbl-1985
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have yet to hear of one of these actually breaking?
One of the Lexus mechanics I have talked to about this mentioned that a breaking belt would cause damage, but not extremely major damage (i.e., like maybe some bent valve stems, stuff that was repairable). The dealership he worked for must have seen some broken belts for him to make this comment.
Old 06-20-11, 11:13 AM
Iluvlexus
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the 1MZFE engine was NOT an interference engine. Am I mistaken?
Old 06-20-11, 12:11 PM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Yes it is an interference design.
Old 06-20-11, 03:29 PM
Stemmer
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I posted that my timing belt broke, but others questioned it. In any event to repeat, timing belt was replaced by Lexus dealer at 88k per work order. At 168k car died. Towed to Lexus dealer. Told me timing belt broke but surprisingly did not cause other damage. Due to huge price quote had it towed to an independent mechanic who also confirmed a broken timing belt and after he replaced it he left the broken timing belt on the passenger seat. There was no other damage or problems with the vehicle. That's my story and I'm sticking w/ it.
Old 06-20-11, 08:54 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Stemmer
I posted that my timing belt broke, but others questioned it. In any event to repeat, timing belt was replaced by Lexus dealer at 88k per work order. At 168k car died. Towed to Lexus dealer. Told me timing belt broke but surprisingly did not cause other damage. Due to huge price quote had it towed to an independent mechanic who also confirmed a broken timing belt and after he replaced it he left the broken timing belt on the passenger seat. There was no other damage or problems with the vehicle. That's my story and I'm sticking w/ it.
You said you had the timing belt replaced at 88k when the engine "failed" what failed?
Old 06-20-11, 08:57 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by bob2200
One of the Lexus mechanics I have talked to about this mentioned that a breaking belt would cause damage, but not extremely major damage (i.e., like maybe some bent valve stems, stuff that was repairable). The dealership he worked for must have seen some broken belts for him to make this comment.
That IS major damage to me. Damage a piston, bend a few valves and you might as well start over with a new engine.
Old 06-21-11, 01:13 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Stemmer
Stemmer, There is no way that I would call you a lier! Why would you? No reason I can think of. Having said that, I still am skeptical as to whether the belt was ACTUALLY changed at 88K, as the RO stated. As you can see from some of the other posts, most go more than the miles that yours failed at without EVER having been changed before. These belts ARE NOT your fathers timing belt! They are made completely different than TB's used to be. Different material, different High compression manufacturing process. I would not normally suggest ANYONE try to go the life of the car without replacing, just that I feel most would do it without breaking. I gave my son the one I removed from their RX300 with 97k mi. and it looks like 20k mi., absolutely no wear, no cracking, NO sign of 97K mi. of use, yet I know it was the original belt. All bets are off with anything but T/L HIGH QUALITY OEM belt.

BTW, though the engine is listed as interference, but by the nature of the VVT, it is entirely possible to break a belt and do no damage, as you so fortunately found out.

Quick Reply: Timing Belt / Time or Mileage?