RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Can I save my transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-11, 07:16 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Interesting, Lexus dealers deny there's any problem withthe RX300 AWD transmission!

They feel it`s not in their best interest to acknowledge that it has problems.
Old 05-23-11, 07:17 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by dindih
Summary: 2001 RX300 AWD transmission died. Took out transmission to a local shop to be rebuilt with upgrades. $2000 to rebuild. Shop offered to put the tranny back on the car for an additional $300, all inclusive (fluid, etc.). Will be done next week.

See my earlier post on this thread for details of my transmission problems.

After it was obvious that the transmission was gone in my 2000 RX300, we took the transmission out last week. This is a tough job that requires taking out a lot of components including the engine mount and the frame. I could have never attempted to tackle this if it wasn't for an adventurous and very capable friend.

We were initially going to get a rebuilt transmission from a vendor on ebay (1Stop Transmissions in Peoria, AZ) for $1595 plus $320 for shipping (rebuilt and core) plus $179 for torque converter ($2094 total) which is a pretty good deal. I then found a good deal in a local shop to rebuilt the tranny for $2000 plus $300 for putting it back on and testing to make sure that it works.

I live in Delaware near Philadelphia and 1999-2000 RX300 transmission's design defect is a well known fact by the transmission shops in this area. Both Toyota/Lexus and the after-market transmission part manufacturers apparently have developed upgraded-kits for rebuilding the transmission of these cars.

I will put and update after testing the car with is new transmission next week.
Please let us know how it works out! And I`m so glad you found a good shop to rebuild it. just make sure it has the updated planetary gear set.
Old 05-26-11, 03:42 PM
slimLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. I am new to the forum. I came across it while trying to find some answers online to a few problems I'm having with my Lexus. I have a 1999 RX 300. We got it second hand. It has manifested some of the symptoms stated on this thread. (slipping and not engaging)

Recently I've noticed a "buzz" noise in the transmission housing. My daughter called me today and told me that while driving the vehicle all of the sudden lost ability to move forward. She pulled over and turned the car off. Sat for a few seconds turned it back on and shift to D. It engaged and moved for a few blocks until it "slipped out" again and thus she had to pull over. The process had to be done several times and all times she was able to put it in drive and move a block or so. She made it home.

I was able to put it in reverse and check out the vehicle. A good friend of mine who has many years working on cars said that indicates it is maybe a solenoid. I just want to pass on what's going on and get some input. He also made mentioned that it may not be a good idea to change out the filter and fluid since the vehicle has 193,000 plus and we can not verify if the filter/fluid has been serviced before.

Thoughts? Please help. Thank you all..
Old 05-26-11, 04:28 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Transmission is the most complex part of the machinery.

The first thing that needs to be done is to pull out the fluid dip stick and examine the color and smell of the fluid.

Followed by a drain and examination of the particles and if needed drop the pan and examine the filter.

If every thing is clean, then it can be the solenoid. If you have gray stuff all over then some thing broke inside.

Dealership and a good transmission shop may be able to run diagnostic and tell you what electrically has gone wrong.

Good luck

Salim
Old 05-26-11, 04:30 PM
lserlohn
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your transmission is similar to mine. It maybe the problem of solenoid E (DSL), but transmission noise is really a bad news. The transmission will probably gone soon.

Originally Posted by slimLex
Hello. I am new to the forum. I came across it while trying to find some answers online to a few problems I'm having with my Lexus. I have a 1999 RX 300. We got it second hand. It has manifested some of the symptoms stated on this thread. (slipping and not engaging)

Recently I've noticed a "buzz" noise in the transmission housing. My daughter called me today and told me that while driving the vehicle all of the sudden lost ability to move forward. She pulled over and turned the car off. Sat for a few seconds turned it back on and shift to D. It engaged and moved for a few blocks until it "slipped out" again and thus she had to pull over. The process had to be done several times and all times she was able to put it in drive and move a block or so. She made it home.

I was able to put it in reverse and check out the vehicle. A good friend of mine who has many years working on cars said that indicates it is maybe a solenoid. I just want to pass on what's going on and get some input. He also made mentioned that it may not be a good idea to change out the filter and fluid since the vehicle has 193,000 plus and we can not verify if the filter/fluid has been serviced before.

Thoughts? Please help. Thank you all..
Old 05-27-11, 09:48 PM
dindih
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Summary: 2001 RX300 AWD transmission died. Took out transmission to a local shop to be rebuilt with upgrades. $2000 to rebuild plus $300 to put tranny back on the car, all inclusive (fluid, etc.). The car runs great with the newly rebuilt transmission. Never ran like this even when it was 2 yrs old when I bought it.

See my earlier posts in this thread for details of my transmission problems.

The local transmission shop rebuilt the tranny for $2000 then installed it for $300. I shopped around in Lexus/Toyota dealerships, national/regional chains in the area (such as benchmark) or small local transmission shops. $2,300 is not cheap but it gives 1-yr or 12,000 miles labor/parts warranty and will drain fluid change filter at 2,000 miles and again at 6,000 miles for free. This was the best deal that I could find in a shop that I felt comfortable that they could do the job right.

Overall I am happy with the decision, $2,300 saved me from buying another car for hopefully several more years.
Old 05-28-11, 12:46 PM
LA4Mead
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dindih,

I think you did great, especially by making sure it's rebuilt with "updates". I'm no expert, but I would definately have transmission service performed (not flushed) at least every other year (like any other car you plan to keep for a long time. Many assume the dealer's profitable "reccommended service" includes the transmission, but they'd rather sell expensive oil changes, and get you back for the repair work.
Old 05-29-11, 12:30 AM
Australian
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I broke down again.... I dropped pan and pulled filter out on side of road and got myself going again seems i might need to buy a new filter as i have been just washing out the one i had.
Old 05-29-11, 06:51 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by Australian
I broke down again.... I dropped pan and pulled filter out on side of road and got myself going again seems i might need to buy a new filter as i have been just washing out the one i had.
The only one you wash is the metal-screen (dense fly net). If you have one of those, no point in buying a new one (unless it is falling apart). You can always switch to fiber based filter and they need to be discarded every time.

Salim
Old 05-30-11, 01:52 AM
Australian
Advanced

Originally Posted by salimshah
The only one you wash is the metal-screen (dense fly net). If you have one of those, no point in buying a new one (unless it is falling apart). You can always switch to fiber based filter and they need to be discarded every time.

Salim
It is a metal one but has been degreased and washed a few times now i am thinking i will keep a bottle of transmission fluid a new filter and 10mm socket.
I can take my pan off without removing any other parts. I am looking to be able to fix it roadside like i did yesterday whenever required. I am not interested in paying for a tow truck or a mechanic when i have 2 hands and a head that works. I can't always wash it out on side of road unless in suburbs as lucky to find a tap there is a lot of bush between properties i would need to walk for miles just to find a tap so need to be more prepared than that.
Even Sydney has a lot of bushland surrounding the city i would need to walk a long way if i broke down between built up areas. The local Toyota price was around $250 i fell over at price and just ignored it knowing i could buy after market so i bought 2 filters for $80 delivered to Australia from US.
Old 05-30-11, 07:38 AM
salimshah

I still think you can keep reusing the meal screen (as long as it is structurally sound).

I even heard that Lexus did away with metal screen and standard issue is a fiber. Was this done to cut the cost or improve filtration or add on a repeat service .... I dont know.

There is one bit of advice I have ... never expose the innards of transmission to dirt.

Salim
Old 05-31-11, 08:30 AM
jasonodsky
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Part of your problem could be that you are washing the filter out with water. I would not get H20 near the filter. Use a quality carb or brake cleaner. Part of what the cleaner does is to break the electro-chemical bond of the metal and gunk in the filter.

Just a thought
Old 06-03-11, 11:13 PM
Australian
Advanced

Ok i broke down again this time i got it home and cleaned filter out with some petrol but now i have reverse and that is it. Thee car wont go into forward gear.
What should i look at next.
Old 06-04-11, 12:30 AM
Australian
Advanced

I removed and cleaned the speed sensors no change still only reverse.

Wondering what solenoids i can get to and clean? How many are in the pan?

I am wondering about removing the filter altogether tomorrow just to see if i can't get it to move in drive.

Last edited by Australian; 06-04-11 at 04:54 AM.
Old 06-04-11, 08:15 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Sounds like the trans is toasted.... Do you have any CEL's?

Quick Reply: Can I save my transmission?