RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Red "BRAKE" Warning Indicator and Chime

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-15, 07:59 AM
jnotebaert
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Fluid Cap

Thank you thrs75 !
Old 02-16-15, 07:44 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

You're welcome -- good luck!
Old 02-23-15, 12:52 PM
Nick26
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

New member here. I had this problem last year, and disconnected the sensor at the brake cylinder, thinking it might be a faulty connection. This did resolve the problem, but not for long. To make this short, I repeated this process 4-5 times, but it has now been about a year with everything functioning normally. COST = $0.0
Old 02-14-16, 04:48 AM
djeddieo
Pit Crew

I've had issues inthe past with the parking brake sticking, once even when it hadn't been engaged (it had sat undriven for a while). That last time I just drove it backwards and forwards a few times and it released. Today I woke up to -6° and right after it started the light came on. The parking prake is definitely not engaged so I'm guessing it's just a too cold sensor. Brake function is fine so if it doesn't go out when it warms up I may try Nick26's solution above.....

Edit: once engine warmed up light went out; brake fluid must've been like Jello!

Last edited by djeddieo; 02-15-16 at 06:47 AM.
Old 02-14-16, 09:44 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my brake warning was going off and on then stayed on. it was the brakes because the fluid was low and i heard a grinding sound from what i assume were crystallized pads.
Old 02-23-16, 06:38 AM
joebtflspk
Driver School Candidate

Before going to a Lexus dealer or having the brakes checked, open the hood and "thump" the brake fluid reservoir with your finger a couple of times. The level sensor inside the reservoir rides up and down a center post, and sometimes gets stuck in the "Low" position during cold weather . . . after
going over a pothole or bump, I guess. Anyway, this has happened to me a couple of times (both in cold weather), and "thumping" the reservoir eliminated the nerve-wracking chime, proving it was neither the fluid level (observable), stuck emergency brake, or low brake pads causing it. But the next time you have your brake system flushed, have the mechanic fully-empty the reservoir and clean the inside post. Our RX300 is a 1999, still runs like a Switch watch at 150K, and the problem hasn't recurred.
Old 03-14-16, 12:05 AM
Nick26
Driver School Candidate

Best Fix?? When this problem returned, I removed the cap, saw that the stem on which the floating sensor rides had detached itself from the top. The wiring was still attached. I found that the stem assembly can be re-attached simply by snapping it back into place,

For me, the fix was immediate, and it's been working perfectly for two months. I have to conclude that many of the reported problems are just because the loosened stem rides at an angle and doesn't let the float move freely.

Snapping the stem assembly back into place seems to be something to try out, doesn't it?
The following users liked this post:
SteveLC (02-03-23)
Old 07-08-16, 02:10 PM
jms262
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nick26
Best Fix?? When this problem returned, I removed the cap, saw that the stem on which the floating sensor rides had detached itself from the top. The wiring was still attached. I found that the stem assembly can be re-attached simply by snapping it back into place,

For me, the fix was immediate, and it's been working perfectly for two months. I have to conclude that many of the reported problems are just because the loosened stem rides at an angle and doesn't let the float move freely.

Snapping the stem assembly back into place seems to be something to try out, doesn't it?
This was exactly the problem with my 2000 model. Snapped it back into place and no more ding or brake light! I drove around for over a year with that noise happening intermittently. Wish I would have known it was that easy! Thanks for the tip!
Old 07-10-16, 08:57 AM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Gotta love the cheap and easy fixes -- I'm glad that worked!
Old 07-14-16, 04:54 PM
Nick26
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jms262
This was exactly the problem with my 2000 model. Snapped it back into place and no more ding or brake light! I drove around for over a year with that noise happening intermittently. Wish I would have known it was that easy! Thanks for the tip!
Glad that your problem was fixed as easily as mine. Well, mine was a liitle later, when I already had a new cap in my hand. It was when I was about to install it that I took a good look at the old cap, noticed the loose stem and decided to find out what would happen if the stem could be reattached. I stil have that new cap, purchased on ebay, just in case. It's looking like it won't be needed anytime soon. {fingers crossed, knock on wood**
Old 07-27-16, 01:29 PM
chucklundi
Driver School Candidate

Default Brake Like warning from Reservoir Senser

RX300 early production model (prior to 8/1/98) Just had new brakes installed. Did have a low brake fluid warning prior to that and added clear brake fluid up to the fill line. After the mechanic replaced the brake rotors and pads, the brake light would not go off. Problem was traced to the reservoir sensor cap. He suggested leaving it disconnected since it was a typical maintenance item. I will try to clean the sensor with brake fluid cleaner as described above and see if that will work.
Old 07-27-16, 07:24 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by chucklundi
RX300 early production model (prior to 8/1/98) Just had new brakes installed. Did have a low brake fluid warning prior to that and added clear brake fluid up to the fill line. After the mechanic replaced the brake rotors and pads, the brake light would not go off. Problem was traced to the reservoir sensor cap. He suggested leaving it disconnected since it was a typical maintenance item. I will try to clean the sensor with brake fluid cleaner as described above and see if that will work.
Welcome to CL

Salim
Old 07-08-19, 03:45 PM
shelmanson
Driver School Candidate

i created an account solely based on the fact that i wanted to THANK YOU VERY MUCH for posting this!!! worked like a charm!
Old 03-08-23, 10:30 AM
SteveLC
4th Gear

Originally Posted by jms262
This worked for me, but only for a couple of weeks. The light went on again and I checked the cap and it was still securely attached to the cap. For now I left it unplugged until I replace it...
Old 03-08-23, 03:11 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveLC
This worked for me, but only for a couple of weeks. The light went on again and I checked the cap and it was still securely attached to the cap. For now I left it unplugged until I replace it...
Just make sure your brake fluid level in the master cylinder reservoir is good and does not drop due to a leak some where. The float-switch has been reported as issue a few times.

Salim

Quick Reply: Red "BRAKE" Warning Indicator and Chime