RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

All four new Sensen AWD struts for $135!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-11, 05:55 AM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Ditto re: KYB mounts. Get OE.
Old 01-18-11, 08:14 AM
Alexus02
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

replacing struts improved the handling and made the ride stiffer. I didn't change the mounts - should have done because one is noisy. Make sure you change the mounts otherwise the labour is the same as changing the struts again!. Where would I get OEM mounts? From Lexus?

by the way - with hindsight I wouldn't have used the $135 parts, I would use the KYB quality parts..
Old 01-18-11, 08:39 AM
LA4Mead
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Origin of KYB or Monroe

I'd rather buy American or Japanese... if the quality is better. It's good to know that KYB replacement struts are still assembled in Japan rather than being outsourced (who knows where the internal parts were made). I guess you have to go by what's stamped on them, rather than marketing hype. Monroe's website was not even working for RX300 information, too bad.

Thanks for responding. I'm still keeping an open mind.
Old 01-18-11, 10:25 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by LA4Mead
I'd rather buy American or Japanese... if the quality is better. It's good to know that KYB replacement struts are still assembled in Japan rather than being outsourced (who knows where the internal parts were made). I guess you have to go by what's stamped on them, rather than marketing hype. Monroe's website was not even working for RX300 information, too bad.

Thanks for responding. I'm still keeping an open mind.
I don't think KYB struts are made exclusively in Japan any longer.
Old 03-21-11, 01:31 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Did the OP end up getting these struts? I'm looking to replace all four strut mounts so i figured i might as well replace the struts too, but that's a lot of money.. LoL
Old 03-21-11, 07:53 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I hadn't done anything yet. So far, the old ones seem OK. After changing the ones on my other daughter's Olds Intrigue last summer, I'm not quite ready to tear into another set just yet. The strut boots are torn, though, and I wish I could replace those without undoing the struts!
Old 03-22-11, 07:00 AM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

So I ended up buying these struts and installed them over the weekend and let me tell you the quality seemed pretty good. They were well packaged and seem to be pretty well built. The outside box even had a part # for KYB

I ended up replacing the strut mounts as well, the front's were pretty seperated. The end result is like driving a brand new RX, it's so much more direct and stiff. Not stiff to the point of being uncomfortable, but they are on the stiffer side. Gone is the nose dive and highway bobble. I would def. recommend them, for the price and warranty I don't think there's anything better out there.
Old 03-23-11, 09:58 AM
LA4Mead
Driver

Great. I just need to find an installer (in San Fernando Valley?) that's willing to install parts I buy, or order these parts for me. I want to replace all rubber mounts and anything else that wears. Is this a complete parts list of what I need (do some of these parts come with others?).

4 new struts from Sensen
2 OE front insulators (are they called "mounts"?)
2 OE front strut bearings
2 OE rear insulators (mounts?)
4 new OE boots (do these come with the mounts or are they ordered as a seperate item?)
4-wheel alignment (set within factory specs, but favoring negative-camber for better cornering?).

Is the above a complete list to renew all rubber suspension parts involved in replacing struts?
Do some of the parts come with others?
Any suggestions for finding a professional installer?

I will also probably replace all 4 brakes, turn rotors, flush brake fluid, etc.

Thanks for sharing information.

Last edited by LA4Mead; 03-23-11 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-25-11, 08:25 PM
LA4Mead
Driver

Default OEM Strut Parts, mounts, rubber...

The concensus seems to be the Sensen shocks are gamble enough... stick with OEM mounts, insulators, etc. So I'm wondering if anyone happens to have the part numbers of the OEM stuff... I want to replace all the rubber as I think there's more than one "clunk" and I want it to be nice and tight. Any suggestions?

What else should I have them repace to make it "tight"? Sway bar bushings?

Thanks for all the help, folks.
Old 05-26-11, 08:52 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Hi, LA4Mead!
I don't have the part numbers, but sewellpartsonline.com has excellent diagrams. Enter "strut" under part name, I think, and get through the filters to get to RX300 and your year. You'll eventually see everything you need, part diagrams and numbers. Good luck!
Old 01-17-13, 04:52 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I just wanted to bump this thread rather than create another thread on the same subject.

I wanted to know how the sensen struts are holding up? I wouldn't mind a stiffer ride, but obviously nothing too stiff I drive a Lexus not a BMW. I'm planning on doing my front struts (either Sensen or KYB...not sure yet), and front strut mounts (OEM). I already did the rear with KYB's a year ago.
Old 07-21-16, 09:01 PM
illtww
Rookie

want tol bump this thread also...

My RX has 150k on the stock suspension. Was gonna go OEM but SENSEN is 1/3 the price!!

Any additional feedback?
Old 07-22-16, 05:02 AM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Amazing! You own essentially a $30-40,000 vehicle and when the struts need replacing, you put $30 chinese crap struts on it. Its not just ride quailty but driving stability. Its a 5,000 pound vehicle and when you need it perform in an emergency situation, you will rely on a Sensen product? Do you put retreads on instead of new tires?

My advice, buy more life insurance.
Old 07-22-16, 03:18 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Drcoffee
Amazing! You own essentially a $30-40,000 vehicle and when the struts need replacing, you put $30 chinese crap struts on it.
Well, cut the guy a break...... its not a $30,000-$40000 any more - it's a $3000-$4000 vehicle. So $30 cheap chinese crap isn't totally out of line!

Old 07-23-16, 05:07 PM
illtww
Rookie

DrCoffee...

Slow your roll killer....

1. THis is a 2004 Rx330 with 150k... I will cut you a deal and sell it to you for $25,000...
1a. Did you really post 30to40k value in the 1st gen RX forums?
2. KYB is also now outsourcing parts to CHINA.. (one a highly regarded company)

anyways... Looking for any feedback... Car is not worth dropping 1k+ in just parts alone...

Quick Reply: All four new Sensen AWD struts for $135!?